back to article We're great, boasts Huawei in founder's Little Red Book – but isn't that a video game screenshot?

An intensely dreary Little Red Book of media quotes from Huawei founder Ren Zhengfei uses photos to boast of the company's grit and resilience to damage – illustrating the concept with what looks remarkably like a screenshot from computer game Il-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad. Foisted upon the world's media by Huawei's …

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Coat

Well, on the other hand,

A picture of a panda might not have sent the same impression . . .

1. GrumpenKraut
      Pirate

Re: Well, on the other hand,

A blood-soaked bullet riddled panda, still going strong swinging a chainsaw through his enemies' throats. That would do.

Is there a 3D combat game involving pandas?

1. MJI Silver badge

Pandas should be kept away from bamboo and fed steaks.

If this doesn't work let the useless waste of times die out!

Bears are carnivores, so let them be carnivores

1. imanidiot Silver badge

The stupid thing is that Panda's even have all the digestive system traits of a carnivore, and they could likely do very well on a diet with meat. They simply refuse to eat anything other than bamboo. Since they're too stupid to live, I vote we just let them die out.

2. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge

Somebody has to keep bamboo from taking over the planet.

2. macjules
        Coat

Is there a 3D combat game involving pandas?

Like a bamboo shoot 'em up?

1. quxinot

Eats shoots and leaves.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Is there a 3D combat game involving pandas?

Perhaps with a martial arts theme?

1. GrumpenKraut

Re: Is there a 3D combat game involving pandas?

> Perhaps with a martial arts theme?

Vicious karate chops!

Q: "Why did they show the fight in slow motion?"

A: "This wasn't slow motion."

4. WolfFan Silver badge

That depends on where you stand on World of Warcraft. Though Padraden or whatever they’re called have swords and spears and such, not chainsaws.

2. Baldrickk
    Thumb Down

Forget that it's a screenshot for a moment, what's the excuse for the photoshop?

They completely butchered the image, real or not.

I have to admit I spent a good 30s trying to work out just how the prop worked - because it doesn't. And that's only the most glaring issue with it.

3. Azerty

Nice marketing move

This might well be from a simulator, isn't it a nice marketing move if it really is from a simulator, people keep talking about it.

El Regs story based on reddit talk that the picture is from a simulator says we can find real pictures of the plane on this Russian site, the "real" pictures seem to include the picture.

4. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Nobody tell El Reg

But, that image is actually FROM the Russian language history of the IL2 that they link to in the article - it's about 1/3rd of the way down the page...

Maybe everybody should do their research...

1. Azerty

Re: Nobody tell El Reg

Journo's are jockeying for a suspicion rousing story about huawei so the US intelligence community can further those journo's career and create thought leaders.

2. imanidiot Silver badge

Re: Nobody tell El Reg

That doesn't however mean that it is NOT a picture from the sim/game.

And the hamfisted try at adding in their own prop disk is still something to laugh at. Given the Il-2 used a 3 bladed prop, it's highly unlikely to ever have a 4 lobed "blur disk". The shape of it doesn't make any sense either.

5. Augie
    Facepalm

Considering they are also being pursued by Nigel Stanford for ripping his Cymatics music video to advertise one of their tablets its hardly surprising.

6. TheProf
    Meh

Yawn

Wake me up when something controversial happens.

On second thoughts, don't.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Maybe

A screen shot from the film Apollo 13 would have been better....

8. Paul Johnston
    Black Helicopters

Cracking plane

If you want to see one I recommend the museum in Kirkenes

https://nordnorge.com/EN-ost-finnmark/?News=642

9. Blockchain commentard
    Facepalm

Funny how the propellor blades are now on the tip of the cone rather than half way down it that most other IL-2's have.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So, a crappily edited picture that's not an historical photograph was used in a a book that's not an history book, published by a corporation that's not a government.

If the scandal is that they didn't get the copyright, then it's okay, I guess: there were stories on ElReg about Western companies using pics lifted from FB without asking for permission first. Beside that, the stretches to the Russian foreign affairs ministry and Mao's Red Book (because it's authored by a Chinese, I guess? Is there any non-ethnic reason for the comparison?) are a little flimsy at best. Ah well. Friday, right?

11. Anonymous Coward
    Devil

As long as you weren't the rear gunner....

Russian designers made him totally expendable.... but probably it illustrates well most actual companies idea about workers who "aren't in the command seat"

1. TeeCee Gold badge

Re: As long as you weren't the rear gunner....

I was just about to point out that one of the main reasons it's obviously fake is that the rear gunner still appears to be standing up and manning his gun, despite the extensive flak damage to the aircraft.

With that much shrapnel from flak bursts flying around, he'd be hamburger.

1. martinusher Silver badge

Re: As long as you weren't the rear gunner....

>With that much shrapnel from flak bursts flying around, he'd be hamburger.

The crew were flying in what was a sort of armor bathtub -- the plane's designers expected it to get shot up because of its combat role. I suppose Huawei thought it a good picture to use because they'll get sniped at and shot up but that won't stop them.

In fact, if they're anything like the Chinese that I've worked with if you put their backs to the wall then they will keep redoubling their efforts. They can be quite persistent. I rather wish someone had mentioned this and maybe a bit of Chinese history to Trump before he decided to play silly buggers with our economies -- the Chinese may not win but they will never lose. Ever. I'm much happier having to compete with people who are like us, looking forward to their next purchase or vacation or whatever; I really don't want to mix it with a people who have been known to build airbases and mountain roads with their bare hands because it was necessary for their survival and they had no other choice.

12. Oh Homer
    Trollface

Still waiting for actual proof ...

... so I can celebrate with a stir-fry and a bottle of Baijiu.

13. ratfox
    Paris Hilton

Compare the Huawei screenshot with this Russian-language history of the Ilyushin Il-2 Sturmovik aircraft, which includes plenty of photos of real Il-2s, including some with actual battle damage.

Interesting: I don't know if it was edited afterwards, but that website also displays the very same image from the game. It's the 7th image in the article.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The article says it's a translation of an article by someone called Sebastian Roblin. The rabbit hole goes deeper.

However...

I have to say, in a whataboutery kind of way, that I have been subjected to just as bad or worse by American corporations. And what about those "motivational" posters? A quick Google search for them under images reveals that China is merely catching up to the awfulness.

14. razorfishsl

yet another example of hwa wei stealing other peoples work & not giving credit.......

15. Dr.Flay
    FAIL

Long way round a short task.

Has nobody heard of reverse image searching ?

The oldest copy I found is from 2015 using Tineye. Yandex would probably find more.

https://www.tineye.com/search/c9ae041ab38859e184db9ac0f8c845e6ca437947?page=1&sort=crawl_date&order=asc

16. mhenriday
    Boffin

Bonkers ?

The Russian foreign affairs ministry made a similar blunder to Huawei a couple of years ago when it tried to use a video game screenshot as "proof" that America backed Islamic State terrorists in the Middle East, something as obviously bonkers as it sounds.
    Alas, to anyone at all familiar with the strategems of US agencies, it neither is nor sounds bonkers....

Henri

17. DrBed
    Unhappy

Fox & Friends ?

Shame on you, Gareth & El Reg. Whole article sounds like weird agit-prop propaganda from Bolton &co cuisine. Bloody deja vu.

FYI:

1. "Little Red Book" connotation is plain fictionary work of Garfield Corfield. Nothing similar there to Mao Tse-tung, Cultural Revolution nor glorification of (OMFG) communism. "On the Record: Huawei Executives Speak to the Public" - is exactly what title is saying. Not more, not less.

2. Common practice of corporations is to make some kind of guerilla marketing PR when companies struggle to achieve common, desired impression. The truth is that Huawei is under witch hunt, aranged by orange baboon and his jolly fellowship. It is sad to see that El Reg joined to that dishonest mission. What's next? Nonexistent "Weapons of mass destruction", this time from China instead Iraq? BoJo & Trump instead Blair & Bush?

Why didn't you judge "One Strategy: Organization, Planning, and Decision Making" from ex MS CEO Steven Sinofsky? It is real succesor of "Ein Volk, Ein Reich, Ein Führer" PR agenda, product that Goebels would not be ashamed of.

https://www.amazon.com/One-Strategy-Organization-Planning-Decision/dp/0470560452

3. This pic of plain is just imaginary, fiction illustration. It is nowhere said that this photo is authentic WW2 document. Beside allusion in this El Reg agit-prop article, of course. But: do you really think that MS ex CEO made his "surface skateboard" by his own hands, or did he really use it anywhere beside lousy PR Surface promo campaign?

https://www.engadget.com/2012/10/16/microsoft-surface-skateboard-steven-sinofsky/

...and so on. It seems that El Reg is preparing for Trump's post-brexit era. BoJo forever. omfg

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like