back to article Google removes Chrome beta wrapping

Google has brought Chrome out of beta just three months after it released the open source browser that currently only plays nice with Windows. It's a break with tradition because the internet giant is notoriously reluctant to remove the beta tag from new products. Googlemail, for example, remains in beta years after it was …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. James Pickett

Er...

"We have removed the beta label as our goals for stability and performance have been met "

What does that say about Gmail and Docs..?

2. Sampler

not mentioned

anything on when you can use the middle button scroll yet?

3. Andrew Carpenter

After Beta comes..

Gamma, then Delta, Epsilon, Zeta....

4. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

that's a very...

stupid decision! They could've kept it in beta until they had linux and mac versions, and simultaneously removed the beta label on all three. Now they just look like they don't care about other platforms and probably galvanised linux firefox users against chrome.

5. Gordon Moar
    Boffin

Middle button incalcitrance

@Sampler

Middle button scroll works for me in Vista 32bit, XP Pro and even in hacked Win2k Pro.

Need a big G halo post icon

6. Joe Harrison

scroll fixed

I had the "no scrolling up via mousewheel" problem and it has now gone away with today's new version of Chrome (click help/about for the "update now" button)

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bookmarks

Until i can sync bookmarks between computers, its of no interest to me

8. Simon Painter
    Coat

There was a middle button problem?

That's

to me

news

9. Jim Coleman
    Thumb Up

@ Anonymous Coward

"Until i can sync bookmarks between computers, its of no interest to me"

You mean you don't put your bookmarks into an iGoogle gadget and then make iGoogle your home page? Blimey. I do, and now all my bookmarks are right there on-screen on my home PC, my laptop, my work PC, my mobile phone and any other PC or device I use. No synching required. You can use any browser you like as well.

Works a treat!

10. Liam

cant even get it to load

i get application error on any work machine i try it on. and im an admin.

works at home but i still prefer IE

11. This post has been deleted by its author

12. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Still won't install behind a corporate firewall

Version 1 or not, I still can't download it at work behind a firewall that needs a password. Why can't Google just provide a direct link rather than using their own downloader for no apparent reason?

13. Jeremy
    Thumb Down

Not feature complete

Well they might think it is but after all the talk about making it easy for developers to work with, so many obvious features are missing. There's no way to tell if a page is rendering in quirks vs. standards mode. In fact all the page info dialogue box says is how many times you visited and whether the connection was secured. Half the box is empty, it might as well say in the about box

"TODO: the rest of that stuff you wanted..."

14. Scott
    Thumb Up

@Alex Hooren

I tried out Chrome when it was first released. Kept using my usual browser (Opera) on my work PC due to the scrollwheel-up problem, but I've been using Chrome ever since on my own laptop. Never really had much cause to go back. Call me a convert!

15. Mark Aggleton
    Thumb Down

@Alex Hooran

No...

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Alex Hooren

When a new version of Firefox comes along I try it and then end up back with Opera.

Just a thought though. Mozilla are on the Google gravy train aren't they. Once Chrome gets into it's stride how long will it be before the gravy dries up?

This topic is closed for new posts.