back to article Otto man thrown under the bus: 33 crim trade secret theft charges for ex-Uber exec Anthony Levandowski

The former Uber exec at the center of the ride-broker's battle with Google over self-driving car tech has been hit with more than 30 criminal charges. Anthony Levandowski, the 39-year-old former Waymo engineer who defected to Uber by way of startup firm Otto, faces 33 charges of theft and attempted theft of trade secrets. He …

1. Spudley

I still don't understand why Google was willing to settle with Uber so cheaply, or indeed at all.

1. Imhotep

It was a meeting of kindred spirits, but I do wonder what that stock is worth now.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Was it because it was hard to prove that Uber had been part of a conspiracy to commit IP theft? If it couldn't be proven then maybe Alphabet had to concede that Levandowski was the perpetrator and concentrate on him rather than carry on with an expensive battle against Uber.

2. Spudley

Also... where are the charges against Uber?

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Oneman2Many

The real goal was to slow down Uber development and seeing as Uber were prevented from using Waymo technology that part was achieved. Second thing is don't forget that Google / Alphabet already own over 5% of Uber so sinking Uber would have been a bit of an own goal.

Uber and Alphabet have settled their case.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Oneman2Many

I think you might have posted one post too many. :-)

1. Oneman2Many

Re: Oneman2Many

yeah, I deleted the first one.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Actual time served

"[...] faces 33 charges of theft and attempted theft of trade secrets. He will be tried in the Northern California US District Court and, if convicted, faces a maximum of 10 years on each charge (though any actual time served would likely be far less if history is any indication.)"

Not to mention the normal human lifespan.

1. Oneman2Many

Re: Actual time served

I guess it depends on if the judge decides on concurrent on consecutive sentences.

1. StargateSg7

In the circuit court (California), the judges tend to be ornery since they are usually RIGHT WING RURAL CONSERVATIVE and NOT part of the Citified Urban Left. They tend to look dimly on cases like this and unfortunately some of Levandowski's earlier outbursts looked rather arrogant in the public eye and while judges are SUPPOSED to be impartial, being triers of fact, rather than emotive in their sentencing, I'm pretty sure they are going to put their sentences more towards the upper end.

I am 80% sure that he will be found guilty on almost all counts and will get 3 months per charge in a State Penn SERVED CONSECUTIVELY. Then he will be saddled probably with $25,000 fine per count so once he gets out he will be paying back $825 000 US WITH ADDED INTEREST (will be over $1.3 million US total) after doing a little over 8 years in the Po-Po!

AND he will get 10 years probation after he gets out, which means if he messes up ANY court-ordered/parole board moral character stipulations, or any of the judge's directives OR commits even an innocuous act as simple as getting a speeding ticket over a certain dollar amount, he goes RIGHT BACK to prison for the extra 10 years!

With the way California works, he has to serve AT LEAST 75% of his prison time before he is eligible for parole and that is ONLY if his behaviour is good. Unfortunately, in California, the prison system is sooooo BRUTAL he will be fighting to JUST to stay alive and NOT get shanked, raped, become a prison B^&^* or otherwise stay sane.

That 8 years is gonna end up as 20 to 30 years in the pokey after the "Shot Callers" have their way with him and he tries to fight back violently (or else the Shot Callers don't bother and they put a greenlight on him and just kill him in his cell!)

On his first day, the Homies, AB's, Crips, Bloods, MexMafs, MS-13's, etc, they're gonna beat him up, steal so much of his food from the cafeteria trays that he will lose about 50 pounds in about 30 days and some 250+ lbs Muscle-bound Freakazoid Shot Caller is gonna be "Bustin' His Cheeks" soon after if he wants to stay alive with some "protection" from the other gangs!

If he DOES NOT FIGHT ON THE FIRST DAY IN, (i.e. Show Some Bones or Moxie!) he's gonna become a B*&^*& and for that ENTIRE 8-years he is gonna be BLEEDING DAILY from places you don't want to be bleeding from!

This ain't Europe! Even a low end Nuckel (5 years) or the likely 8 years prison sentence is TRULY HARD TIME in most U.S. prisons and if you don't fight and TAKE respect on DAY ONE, you is either DEAD or becomes a Prison B*&&*( !!!! And when he's done he will have PHYSICALLY AGED over 20 years due to the constant stress of fights, beatings, shankings, hustling, lack of medical services, poor food, and constant lack of sleep!

Watch THIS guys videos and you will see just how bad American Prisons are:

What NOT to do in the Prison REC YARD:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUNAtkZEBOQ

Warning signs you should NEVER ignore in Prison:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEc_RLRC6vM

Top 5 reason you will be picked on in prison!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6g47_RUhO1I

Top 5 ways inmates extort other inmates:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57-zh9wkd8o

AND if you're a honky white boy, DON'T say these 5 things in prison!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aO3ZT9Cbb0I

Ya Get it! American Prisons ARE NO JOKE !!!!

This is the life Levandowski is in for at AT LEAST 8 years !!!!

1. trindflo Bronze badge

For prison sentences under 10 years involving non-violent crimes, you can be sent to a "club fed" prison. There are no longer tennis courts, and I can't imagine anyone wanted to go there, but it is not the horror stories you hear of maximum security pens.

https://www.businessinsider.com/white-collar-prisons-2013-12

From the article:

As Kerik explains it—and I had to keep reminding myself that he was once a prominent authority figure in the system—"there are four or five classifications for the BOP [Bureau of Prisons]. You have super-maximum security, if there's a terrorist or a super-violent criminal. You have maximum security, which is the next level down. After max, you have medium." That's where Bernie Madoff is, by the way. "Then you have low. Then you have minimum." To be eligible for a minimum security "camp," your sentence has to be less than 10 years (or has gotten to under 10 years) and you need to be considered "nonviolent."

1. StargateSg7

For some reason I thought this was a California State-level court case, so it looks like these are Federal level charges so NO PAROLE at the Federal Level. He serves the FULL 8 years.

Levandowski ain't going to a Club Fed as the TYPE of charges assigned to him preclude that option. He get medium security prison which is the type seen in the videos I outlined earlier! The maximum security prisons are ALWAYS on 23 hour lockdown so not much happens there except sitting in a cage for 23 hours a day, a 30 minute exercise session in a segregated 2 to 10 man fully caged basketball cour-sized "play" area with guards watching EVERYONE in that area and lunch served on trays wheeled to each cell.

Maximum Security ain't like what was in the videos I outlined. It's more like like an animal testing lab where the animals are caged ALL the time except when they're experimented on. That is the ONLY time they leave the cages!

In medium security, you get to mostly come and go from your living space to all parts of the inside of the prison grounds and socially it's EXACTLY like high school! Except you are long-term CONFINED to the school grounds ONLY and you deal with "students" who are mostly Bad A&& 250+ lbs Muscle-bound Freakazoids who turn the 101 lbs weaklings into personal playthings and pets! His white honky A&^ is Grass in that type of environment! In a Federal-level Medium Security prison there are ONLY TWO types of prisoners! Predators and Prey!

Which one will Levandowski become when he gets there?

2. StargateSg7

The basic premise of the U.S. Prison system which Anthony Levandowski faces is the following:

Prison is Measured by Pain and Fear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTJV25PO2BY

Prison First Day In:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJu3r6dpGYI

Prison Life Equals PAIN:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CWj2JQhgpU

You is Gonna Join a Prison Gang Cuz You Have NO CHOICE:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ie41Proeqsc

A U.S. prison sentence is not that much better than a North Korean Gulag!

6. a pressbutton

Otto man

A uber employee treated like a piece of furniture.

He though the was so near that stock option fortune but then it turns out he was sofa.

Pouffe went those stock options

7. I3N
    Boffin

LIDAR is for losers

Just because EM agrees with our position of 30+ years ago, doesn't mean we are wrong ...

I'll quote Guido " ...was trying to 'mix mysticism and magic into science' and that 'none of it made any sense.'"

Unless that is what they were going for in the first place ...

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-nissan-lidar-autonomous/on-the-radar-nissan-stays-cool-on-lidar-tech-siding-with-tesla-idUSKCN1SM0W2

8. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Thumb Down

"That case would be abruptly settled in 2018 after just four days in court"

So Uber folded after just four days. So not only is Uber guilty as hell, but it has no guts either.

Oh, when it comes to cheating people out of their revenue, or cities out of their taxes, yeah, then Uber is strong. But catch it red-handed and it becomes a whimpering dog.

9. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge

Otto = rubbish bins (google it)

So Ottomotto = rubbish trucks?

10. raving angry loony

Ah yes, double standards

"Theft is not innovation". Except, of course, if you're a corporation, esp if the name is "Microsoft". Or, for that matter, "Uber" and how they treat drivers.

It's a pity that they only seem to pursue individuals in these cases, rather than going after the really big thieves.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like