back to article Microsoft Surface helps Earth stand still

Microsoft Surface has already wowed punters around the globe. But now the interactive coffee table’s made the Earth stand still, sort of. Microsoft_surface_001 Klaatu barada nikto! (trans. 'You will be ejected from the cinema if caught filming it with your iPhone') Register Hardware’s hacks almost choked on their popcorn …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Stu
    Pirate

Thats a hell of a product placement...

...for something that you can't get your hands on for love nor money!

I've tried!

They did a limited release for 'just anybody' aroundabouts when the Microsoft PDC was on. But I missed the opportunity. Then nothing.

Or are they just ignoring us specifically!? They never really bother marketting to Universities with any gusto.

Just why do they bother product-placing it when you cant actually buy one!?

2. John Macintyre

bond?

I take it all that surface touch action in the latest bond with the treky style graphics wasn't a surface placement? Though there was no logo that time, just ironic unbelievable tech, this might have been a more ms focussed ad.

On a side, might just get the original movie and see that instead

3. Dr Patrick J R Harkin

Quantum of Plot had a better one

And Minority Report.

Wait - you mean this one's real? Wow! Where can I buy one? I can't?!?! You can only see it in films - and I'm supposed to believe it's real? It's the Mechanical Turk all over again, isn't it - that's why we only see it as a table, not a tablet - they need room to hide the three midgets with iPhones doing the real controlling...

4. Simpson

horrible promo

Did they know the title of the film, before they paid for placement?

The day the earth stood still + MS Windows = insert joke here.

Plus, the reviewer writes "there’s not much action in the middle of the film". I am only guessing here, but is that around the time that they were using Surface? Were they using IE on a javascript heavy site?

5. drunk.smile
    Thumb Up

@Dr Patrick

"need room to hide the three midgets with iPhones doing the real controlling"

Love it sir, love it.

6. Jerome

New Title

The Day the Earth Blue-Screened?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like