back to article Latest Firefox beta gets touchy on Mac

Newer MacBook owners can set their fingers to work on the latest beta build of Firefox, which adds multi-touch gesture support for trackpads. Mozilla this week carted out Beta 2 of Firefox 3.1 sporting new toys like a private browsing mode, improved rendering, a faster JavaScript engine, and stability fixes. Unique to the Mac …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Adam
    Gates Horns

Release Date For FF 3.1b3

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Releases

"early Feb, 2009 (estimated)"

So don't expect a 3.1 release until at least March-April.

2. E

What about...

jerk up and down?

3. Daniel Evans

Next Tap?

I didn't know FF came equipped with a bar - but now that I do know, would someone tell me where the bartender's gone?

4. Gordon
    Stop

So what!

There has been a mouse gestures addin for firefox for ages, shortly after the feature debuted in Opera if memory serves.

All this is doing is giving it the 2 fingers.

5. Andy Bright

Awesome

It's incredible to see how these devices have included better and more commonly used features over the years. I may be getting a touch nostalgic, I remember the good ol' days when Macbooks were mostly used for starting a roaring fire on a cold winter night. Chuck a couple of logs and a Macbook into the fire place, turn it on, sit back and enjoy the crackle of a merry flame, with perhaps a bit of a sing song.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Pr0n mode

Between multi-touch and pr0n mode, this could get....sticky...

7. Robin
    Coat

Title

Insert finger joke here.

8. Greg

Those touchpads are HORRIBLE

The bosses here have them, so obviously I have to sort them out from time to time. Those mice are the God-awful spawn of Satan himself. For context purposes, I have pretty big hands, and RSI to boot, and those things just make it worse.

I'll try moving the pointer across the screen. The pad doesn't respond.

I'll press harder. The pad interprets my one big finger as two or something and decides I want to scroll instead. GAAAH.

I'll try clicking. The first tap does nothing, the second tap brings up a context menu, the third tap left clicks. What the hell?

Attempting to use them properly makes my wrists feel like that episode in Voyager with the out-of-phase alien dudes experimenting on people. Wow, that made me feel nerdy all over.

9. Chris Cooke

wrong way pinching

Surely pinching the fingers together should zoom out, not in? And moving the fingers apart should zoom in? That's the way round it works on the ipod touch?

10. Kenny Millar

Pinch together / Apart

Surely you'v got that AFE(*) ?

Surely pinch together should be zoom out, and pinch apart should be zoom in?

(*) AFE = Ass for Elbow.

11. Joe

And surely...

Swipe up should move to the bottom of the page - you're swiping it up so should see the bottom. And vice versa. C'est nes pas?

12. Christopher E. Stith

older one and two-finger gestures

page up: page up

page down: page down

top of page: home

end of page: end

back in history: alt, left arrow

forward in history: alt, right arrow

place cursor in location bar: control, l

zoom in: control, +

zoom out: control, -

move cursor to search box: control, k