back to article It's Friday lunchtime on International Beer Day. Bitter hop to it, boss'll be none the weiser

If you needed an excuse beyond it being Friday, why not raise a glass to the 11th International Beer Day? Allegedly started by a Californian bar owner, it is now a genuinely global celebration with 200 events around the world. Getting involved is pretty simple: Drink good beer with good friends Give the gift of beer Enjoy …

1. hplasm
    Pint

I'll drink to that!

Cheers!

2. Dr Who

66.5 litres = 117 pints

For once in my life I can safely say I am well above average - by a considerable margin.

1. cbars Bronze badge

Re: 66.5 litres = 117 pints

I know! There must be lot of teetotallers in Blighty for us to have missed that accolade

1. big_D Silver badge

I probably drink less than a bottle of beer a month...

1. Psmo
          Pint

Me too, haven't had a bottle of beer in months.

Pints and cans only.

1. Psmo

Ah. Really letting the side down now with a crate of smalls (25ml).

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

my drinking is about 1-2 cans a year. My mum was an alcoholic and I want to avoid that.

2. Spacedinvader
      Pint

Weekly allowance :)

1. Hans Neeson-Bumpsadese Silver badge

Weekly allowance target

FTFY :-)

3. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

I think you must be having my allocation since I rarely drink beer (gives me bad headaches after only a pint or two). The exception being Weiss Bier - being more wheat-based it doesn't seem to have the same effect.

Bizarrely, whisky doesn't have the same effect even though it's barley-based too.

3. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Coat

Heineken refreshes the parts London Pride cannot reach.

1. PerlyKing
      Happy

Refreshing

Or as someone once told me, "I drink Guinness, because it refreshes the parts that Heineken is too embarrassed to go to!"

(I would have used the pint icon, but Guinness might have hunted me down ;-)

2. macjules

"Give the gift of beer"

Or drink a pint of Fosters: the only beer that keeps on giving regardless of how many times it is recycled.

1. Hans Neeson-Bumpsadese Silver badge

Sex-in-a-rowing-boat lager, i.e. f***ing close to water

2. DontFeedTheTrolls
        Coat

Cut out the middle man and pour the Fosters straight down the toilet

3. FozzyBear
        Pint

Why do you think we, the Aussies, export it. No one here in their right mind drinks that crap.

3. Daniel von Asmuth
      Pint

A storm is brewing over Holland

American company Budweiser is planning a massive invasion of the Netherlands, that mostly drink national brands, along with special brews from Belgium. ......

Brexit is not final. but already it's hard to find English/Scottish/Irish beers here.

1. macjules

Re: A storm is brewing over Holland

Hard to find them in England as well. As for Budweiser we don't really classify that as "beer", in the same way that we don't classify "urine" as "Sauvignon Blanc"

2. EB-59
        Pint

Budweiser has been a Belgian company for over 10 years, so it is not far to invade the Netherlands. ;)

1. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

Budweiser has been a Belgian company

ITYM "rabidly monopolistic US company" - after all, they are the ones who tried to sue the *original* Budweiser (Budweiser Budvar - the Czech company who have been around longer than the US company that brews Budweiser) in order to stop them using the name Budweiser for their beer - despite the fact that Budvar had been using it a lot longer.

I will admit that I sometimes do have a US-recipe Budweiser - it seems that it's association with real beer is sufficiently tenuous that it doesn't have the same effect as most barley-based beers (possibly because they only use barley malt with the rest of the yeast feedstock being rice).

4. Hans Neeson-Bumpsadese Silver badge
    Pint

Thumbs up for the Nobel reference

Now when The War Department gives me grief for disappearing off the shed to tinker with homebrew, I can argue that I'm doing actual science stuff.

Cheers!

5. juice

The map looks a bit squiffy...

As someone who does regular extensive research into the beer available in pubs around Yorkshire and the Midlands, I'm not entirely convinced by the claim that John Smiths is the tipple of choice Yorkshire way. Equally, I'm doubting Pedigree's popularity in the east Midlands.

Over here in mostly-damp Sheffield, the main "ale" choice is usually Doom Bar or one of the standard Carling/Carlsberg/Fosters triumvirate, though a lot of pubs have been supplanting these with various continental lagers such as Estrella or Amstel.

And if I was feeling cynical, I'd suggest that this is because they can charge extra for these "exotic" lagers (though equally, the current exchange rate presumably isn't helping matters). Though it may also be because the overly hopped "IPA" style much loved by those people with coiffured beards and top-knots seem to be slowly falling out of fashion.

Still, it's Friday, so I'll be able to do some more research into this shortly...

1. caffeine addict

Re: The map looks a bit squiffy...

Doom Bar is gaining popularity in East Anglia too, but it's just the one brew and I'd guess most people couldn't tell you who brewed it.

But, the map seems a bit confused about beers vs brewers anyway.

Still, Everards or Marstons* in the midlands, Fullers in the SE, and even GK** are vastly better options than any of the u-bend lagers in the rest of the country.

* Isn't Marstons owned by GK now?

** GK beers are a lot better than 20 years ago, but they need to be informed that not everything needs to be an IPA / Abbot / Speckled Hen variant.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Over here on the west cost a plain lager is the new cool alternative to fscking raspberry and kiwi flavoured IPA

1. Antonius_Prime
          Pint

Bit inhumane, mixing raspberries and New Zealanders into a beer, innit? :D

1. Grumpy Scouse Git
            Alert

Kiwis deserve all they get! It was a Kiwi that decided it was a good idea to lace one of their beer with stag semen!!

https://firstwefeast.com/drink/2015/08/semen-beer-new-zealand-green-man-pub

2. Tom Paine
        Pint

Fullers are gone, now, too. That leaves, er... Youngs, Shepherd Neame, Wytchwood and a ton of small indies.

FWIW anyone who enjoys proper beer and has some time to kill waiting for delayed / cancelled trains at at London King's Cross / St Pancras should stroll 100 yards east along the Euston Road, dodging the tourists, beggars, drunken hen/stag parties from the NE and the yuppies heading home from the newly redeveloped slums-come-hipster offices and try The Scottish Stores at the bottom of the Caledonian Road. Excellent selection of reasonably priced brews, including several I'm sure featured in the "Beer" episode of Blackadder S2... and it used to be a strip pub, so you can try to imagine how it looked in the bad old days five years ago.

That icon looks suspiciously like gassy lager rather than actual beer... hmmm any chance of a G&T icon instead? Larger makes me feel bloated, headachey and really unpleasantly irritable and stroppy.

And whilst I'm burning karma -- has anyone tried a double-blind taste test to see if drinkers can tell Moretti from Estrella from Stella from Amstel?

1. caffeine addict

Fullers have gone? How do you mean?

According to Wiki, LP is still made by Fullers and Fullers is still an active brewery listed on the stock exchange.

3. John Sager

Quite a few small breweries in East Anglia, and Adnam's is probably more popular than GK. Adnam's is best in winter IMHO when they brew Old Ale and Oyster Stout. None of your revolting over-hoppy beers for me - I like a bit (lot) of malt!

4. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

Fullers in the SE

And here in the benighted county of Wiltshire, Arkells seems to predominate (possibly because their main brewery was in Swindon, conveniently close to the GWR station which meant that shipping the beer out was nice and easy).

2. Sgt_Oddball
      Pint

It's a totally different picture from where I'm sitting... But then Leeds had 23 different brewers so I guess we have an issue with agreeing to anything brew wise.

Still my monthly shipment arrived in time for the weekend and I've just acquired a box of northern powerhouse so I'll just drown my sorrows over the John smiths (Sam smiths is always way better) with much superior drink this evening.

Cheers!

1. Tom Paine

+1 for Sam Smiths. Magical pixiedust in there.

3. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

You have to remember that it's from a YouGov poll, so the results only reflect what YouGov responders drink, which is probably whatever is cheapest in the nearest Wetherspoons.

4. DontFeedTheTrolls
      Headmaster

It was a YouGov poll. There will be a substantial portion of the drinkers who've never heard of YouGov and don't know what the Internet is, but will be influencing the actual choice behind the bar.

5. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"I'm not entirely convinced by the claim that John Smiths is the tipple of choice Yorkshire way. Equally, I'm doubting Pedigree's popularity in the east Midlands."

Likewise WRT to Tennants in Scotland. It's ok(ish) but not great. I guess the Scots will put up with it for patriotic reasons though.

6. ThatOne Silver badge
    Pint

Cause/relation

> the Czechs have cleared the top spot for 25 years

...and are still drinking to celebrate!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Cause/relation

The Czech's in the prost!

2. John Arthur
      Pint

Re: Cause/relation

>the Czechs have cleared the top spot for 25 years

The only reason that they were not top dogs earlier was that they were shackled to Slovakia, as part of Czechoslovakia, until 1993. The Slovaks drink quite a bit of wine and dragged the Czech figures down. Off to the Czech Republic in just over a week. I must see what I can do to up the figures!

7. SVV
    Pint

International Beer Day

Ah, we're only allowed foreign brews today!

Should we follow the example set around here : everything in moderation......including moderation?

1. This post has been deleted by its author

8. big_D Silver badge

Map...

London seems to be very big.

When I lived in the South, it was HSB, where I grew up, then, when I moved to the Southampton area, it was Ringwood Badger and a few other local ones. London Pride didn't get a look-in.

When I went on a sailing holiday in Scotland, the captain took along 2 cases of malt whiskey and a case of Kestrel (because you need something light to drink in the mornings, before the sun was over the yard arm).

9. Frank Bitterlich
    Pint

Pedigree <-> Beer?

When I looked at that map first, I thought the maker had a pint to much already, as here in Germany, "Pedigree" is a brand of dog food, not beer. However a quick trip to the pub Google solved that mystery for me.

So, beer does make you smarter after all!

1. Alister

Re: Pedigree <-> Beer?

The confusion is understandable, there's probably about equal gravy content in a pint of Marston's Pedigree, and a bowl of Pedigree Chum...

10. davenewman

The map leaves out Ireland

North and South.

1. Antonius_Prime
      Pint

Re: The map leaves out Ireland

For good reason. We drink proper beer in Ireland, both sides of the divide. We'd hate to have our average dragged down... :P

11. FlossyThePig
    Pint

How Times Change

In the old days beer didn't travel well. While at college in Liverpool I can remember being told about a pub "Don't drink there, the beer's crap, it's Boddingtons", A few years later, in Manchester, I was advised to drink in a particular establishment because they served "an excellect pint of Boddingtons".

In the mid '70s I discovered Ruddles, brewed in that large county, Rutland. The current beer with the Ruddles moiker is now brewed by Greene King in sunny Suffolk. It's not the same.

Who can remember the "Brahms & Liszt" in Leeds?

1. AdamWill

Re: How Times Change

Excellent pint of boddies? Har. Never thought I'd say this, but your scouser pal was right - boddingtons is awful even if you get it straight from the bloody brewery. Heck, the denizens of the northwest aren't wrong, even fecking Foster's is better.

Plenty of nice breweries around these days like everywhere else (tatton brewery is great), but avoid the yellow crap at all costs...

boddingtons is awful

I went off that drink when I realised the amount of plasticisier that they added in order to have a nice foamy head with lots of small bubbles..

2. Carpet Deal 'em
      Coat

It may just be a story, but I recall hearing that Heineken developed a special brew for the American market to recreate the flavor of beer that had spent too long in transit because they'd managed to hook everybody on it before opening their own brewery in the US and didn't want to risk a flavor change. People get what they expect, I guess.

Mine's the one with the extralarge Hershey's bar in the pocket.

12. 0laf
    Childcatcher

T

Burgh I bloody hate Tennents. Nothing says summer like drinking warm Tennents from a tin.

I like my beer, ale and lager but I'll take a craft ale and a European lager over the cats piss produced by most of our major breweries.

1. Ken Shabby
      Happy

Re: T

The ancestors of my cat had to compete with Watneys Red Barrel, they had it tough.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

13. Joe Drunk
    Pint

Like I would ever need an excuse for a liquid lunch on a Friday

As a left-pondian I will honor IBD by indulging in one of my all-time favs since my uni days - Bass Ale!

1. Tom Paine

Re: Like I would ever need an excuse for a liquid lunch on a Friday

The brewery that (via Viz) gave us the aphorism "frothing up like a bottle of Bass".

14. Zebo-the-Fat

Can't beat a well kept pint of Timothy Taylors Landlord bitter, better than your eurofizz lager!

1. Sgt_Oddball
      Pint

Town Hall tavern

In Leeds serves pretty much all of Timmy Taylors offerings... Oddly enough the landlord was off today.. (had boltmaker and ram tam on though so enough to get by on)

15. lglethal Silver badge
    WTF?

Bugger me - Fosters?!?!

Seriously, there is somewhere in the world that actually "likes" fosters???? Hell we dont even drink it in Aus. We sent it to you guys as a joke, you werent supposed to take it seriously...

1. DontFeedTheTrolls
      Joke

Re: Bugger me - Fosters?!?!

"you werent supposed to take it seriously..."

The UK lost its sense of humour a long time ago.

Imagine looking at America's racist moron President in his shitty shapeless suit with that fucked up tangle of yellow bullshit on top of his big dumb pumpkin head, yammering incoherently like a low-wattage imbecile and thinking "oh yeah, my country should have one of these too"

(Credit: Jeff Tiedrich on Twitter)

1. 0laf
        Pint

Ooh god yeah Fosters is nasty. But Castlemaine XXXX was much worse. I note it was withdrawn from the UK market in 2009 probably for humanitarian reasons.

1. OssianScotland
          Joke

Castlemaine XXXX - so called because Australian's couldn't spell L A G E R

1. lglethal Silver badge
            Trollface

No its because they wanted to name it a certain 4 letter word that was much closer to what it tastes like, but couldnt get it past the naming bureau. They tried a whole bunch of other 4 letter words as well, but in the end they gave up and just went with XXXX's.

2. Palpy

Re: Bugger me - Fosters?!?! Urgh. Coors.

Had some Fosters once. Couldn't tell if what I drank had already been passed through someone else's kidneys or not.

But as a left-pondian, I have to be embarrassed by not only Coors (Rocky Mountain beaver widdle) but also Busch (seriously, seriously don't flush it down the toilet, it would be a waste of water) and, of course, Budweiser, the Pig of Beers.

We have a lot of craft breweries on the West Coast now, and by God if they put anymore wretched grapefruit rinds in the wort to give it a "citrus tang" or -- as one commentard mentioned -- frigging RASPBERRIES in the mix, then I will be driven to the harder stuff.

Por moi, Pilsner. Urquell will do.

16. Ol'Peculier
    Pint

No, nope, nada, not a chance. You couldn't even pay me to drink John Smith's. Theakston's all the way for me, whenever possible.

17. Shadow Systems

An experiment...

Upvote this if you want my share of the booze.

I'll donate my share to everyone whom upvotes this comment.

Everyone whom downvotes it gets my share of the hangover instead.

=-)P

1. Tom Paine
      Happy

Re: An experiment...

I would upvote you but I'm too pished to hit the arrow.

1. Shadow Systems

Re: An experiment...

I'll give you a pint when you sober up enough to figure out which one of these five you see in front of you is the real one.

(Stage whispers to everyone else: there are really five tankards on the bar in easy reach, but only one of them has beer in it, the other four are filled with plain tap water to see if he notices.)

Enjoy! =-D

18. Grunchy Silver badge

Beer Day, eh

Register has gone downhill so far it's almost on a par with Vanshardware.com!

Van Smith, anyone? Hello?

Ah well bottom up. Figuratively and literally.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Shepherd Neame

has been brewing for 300 years, and have been doing it right for at least the last 45.

Try a Bishops Finger

1. OssianScotland

Re: Shepherd Neame

Said the Actress.....

Re: Shepherd Neame

Said the Actress..

Or, to quote the baby-eating Bishop of Bath and Wells:

"Never, in all my years, have I encountered such cruel and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the church?"

20. TomPhan
    Pint

Binge drinking

On the left pond side there's been a major news story about how the over 65s are starting to binge drink - in that they have 5 or more drinks in a day...

21. Liam Proven Silver badge

El Reg Team Czechia reporting in

It'sh all true. *Hic*

Any rumours that this is connected with the relative lack of contributions from the Prague correspondent must be firmly quashed, though. He just got a day job.

Cheers!

22. TheProf
    Boffin

Pissed as a n**t

I followed the link to the International Beer Day web site and it's showing IBD as 3 August 2018.

Twenty-eighteen. Yep, they've not updated their site for over a year.

Those guys really need to do some research into hangover cures.

(Dark glasses icon. >>)

1. The Oncoming Scorn Silver badge
      Pint

Re: Pissed as a n**t

So is it today ie always falls on a Friday (First Friday in August)....or August 3.

Problems......

I think I'd better drink heavily both days to be sure I'm not missing out on the festivities.

23. LeahroyNake

Peroni

Peroni... In Wales? It must be all the toffs in the Gower.

Maybe Peroni is the biggest one brand sold (no idea why, it tastes worse than Stella) but I expect if you look at volume including real ale by micro breweries and Brains Bitter (is much nicer than Greene king and London pride) it would be obvious we don't all drink that crap lager.

I'm leaving Brains Dark out of this, it tasted much nicer when the pubs were allowed to put the filtered dregs back in the barrels. Sometimes you would get a hint of cider, if you were really lucky it would taste of strawberry, pernod or some other random mixture that got tossed in.... Hence micro breweries were born when the fun police decided that's naughty and you may get ill if you are not an x miner, your lungs ain't screwed, you don't smoke 40 a day or live in Wales.

24. Winkypop Silver badge
    Pint

Fosters

Kangaroo piss

Australian's don't drink Fosters.

Horrid stuff.

In the UK now, off for a pint of local.

25. Michael Jarve
    Pint

Lightweights....

-The Czech Republic still tops the world consumption league by some margin. Precise figures vary but Japanese brewer Kirin reckons the Czechs down an admirable with 183 litres per person per year (322 pints), down on previous years but still well ahead of Austria in second place with a measly 106.6 litres. The UK languishes in 23rd place with just 66.5 litres.-

I could drink those Czechs under the table. Like my father, and his father before him, I usually don't stop till my urine is flammable. It's practically a Minnesota tradition to down cheap beer until you cannot stand up or see straight, and start speaking in cursive. Even our last state governor was an admitted alcoholic and it didn't hurt his reputation one bit. You have to have a hobby to pass the time during our long, cold winters. Here's mud in your eye!

1. Toni the terrible Bronze badge

Re: Lightweights....

It's the water in left pondia, you wouldnt want to drink it - so Beer. Amazing, something good came from having horrible tasting water!

26. hayzoos
    Pint

There are times you just don't do the math

Even using a conservative estimate of my daily average consumption is staggering compared to these records. I will not do that again (calculate my annual beer consumption). When tempted to do so, I vow to have a beer instead. If that doesn't work, I'll have another and repeat until I simply cannot do the math. Since I did it, I will have to do penance. Oh man, my personal beer inventory is low, off to the pub then.

27. Citizen99

Surprised to find myself in a Carlsberg region; I would go for 6X from there but at least I can sometimes get the Pedigree of my birthright :-)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon