back to article Deja-wooo-oooh! Intel chips running Windows potentially vulnerable to scary Spectre variant

Spectre – a family of data-leaking side-channel vulnerabilities arising from speculative execution that was disclosed last year and affects various vendors' chips – has a new sibling that bypasses previous mitigations. Designated CVE-2019-1125 and rated moderate in terms of severity, the issue – limited primarily to Intel x86- …

1. YetAnotherJoeBlow

I wonder...

The more I read about this group of side channel attacks, I'm beginning to wonder if this is intentional. Then again, maybe I give too much credit where credit is not due.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I wonder...

On the other hand sometimes these side channel attacks start to sound like someone seeing a news report of a hurricane and saying "aha, now we know that a butterfly somewhere flapped its wings"

2. Zog_but_not_the_first
    Unhappy

I bought and paid for a saucepan...

Turns out, it's a sieve.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I bought and paid for a saucepan...

I was reminded of the classic photograph that Bruce Schneier used to indicate the nature of security. Taken in winter with everything shrouded in snow, it clearly shows a country road with a stout gate built across it, blocking all traffic.

Except that the road has no hedges, fences or ditches and the picture clearly shows the tracks of scores of vehicles that have driven up to the closed gate, swerved into the neighbouring field and simply gone around it.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I know exactly which one you mean :).

One of my favourites too (just surprisingly hard to dig up on DuckDuckGo).

2. Mpeler
        Paris Hilton

And, if you look real close at the manufacturer's plate on the gate, it was manufactured by a fellow named Bill.

Bill's Gates will get you, every time!

(Get's me coat and Win7 disks :) ).....

(Paris, because she gets around too).....

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I think that Windows patch is causing BSOD

Now that is interesting.

On my 6-month old laptop and 3-or-4-year old desktop, there were 2 MS patches installed on my Windows 10 1903, on 10 July, one for .NET, one for security issues in the kernel. On both systems, one of them immediately started triggering MEMORY MANAGEMENT blue screens, several times a day, usually on startup when getting to the login screen on the 8GB laptop, a bit more rarely on the 16GB desktop.

They can't be uninstalled. Trying to revert to an older system snapshot borked the laptop.

Reverting to Windows 10 1809 will all patches applied, the BSOD disappeared. But it didn't look like 1809 had received the same update yet.

4. Jamie Jones Silver badge

Only affects windows?

"Only affect windows" is a bit vague when describing a bug that isn't within the OS code itself.

So, with a bit of Googling, found this:

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2019/08/silent-windows-update-patched-side-channel-that-leaked-data-from-intel-cpus/ : 'Botezatu said that, while the vulnerability technically exists when affected chips run on other operating systems, it was "unfeasible" to exploit chips running Linux, Unix, FreeBSD, or macOS.'

So, I guess the jury is still out on openbsd, netbsd, chromeos, beos, reactos, os/2..... :-)

1. LeahroyNake

Re: Only affects windows?

It also states..

'The vulnerability affects Windows, including virtual machines running on it.'

Are MS window's server OS included in that if they are running on ESXI / Vsphere?

Or for that matter any hypervisor.? Or Azure / cloud etc

5. Frozit

As the article states, this vulnerability is primarily a shared cloud issue. When the speculative execution engines were designed (circa early 90s), there was no thought or vision that someday we would have the large cloud shared execution hosts that we have today. Once one vulnerability was found, it was pretty clear that there would be others.

To fix this requires a serious redesign of the core CPU engines, which will take years to fully test, then propagate out and replace the existing flawed CPUs.

There was no intentional plan to create this issue, it is mainly a case of changing environments and requirements.

1. Mpeler
      Boffin

Clouds Illusions not at all

No, this has NOTHING to do with "the cloud".

It has EVERYTHING to do with speed at any cost, poor design and/or poor coding (values not checked).

Other machines have had similar system data segment (base) exchange routines, for example the HP3000 with the EXCHANGEDB routine, which swapped the user's data segment base with a system data segment base in order to facilitate calls to Privileged system internal routines like DIRECTFIND (or if you're in a RISCy mood, ATTACHIO). Fortunately the system had checks in hardware to see that upon return, DB was where it should be (i.e. where it was originally).

Of course, if the parameters, calling sequence, or stack are gorbled, then all hell will break loose.

But, on the HP3K (and other machines) you would be rewarded with a system failure, or a system abort, BECAUSE you needed to be in Privileged Mode (aka ring zero) and "SETCRITICAL", which means "don't abort me, and if I crash, so does the system".

No RISC, no fun, eh?

Sometimes speed kills, if you've taken off all the safeties.

6. Claptrap314 Silver badge

Make up your mind

First, it says the bug cannot be fixed by hardware. Then AMD says, "our hw is fine". Then it says, "mode 2, v2" hits AMD.

Could use some clarity.

1. Richard 12 Silver badge

Re: Make up your mind

As I understand it, the version that (theoretically) exists on AMD is already prevented by existing Spectre mitigations.

So while it does exist, the walls around it have already been built.

7. Inventor of the Marmite Laser Silver badge

are too much of a faff to leverage

No no no no no.

"are too much of a faff to USE", PLEASE

8. J. Cook Silver badge
    Joke

I wacky-parsed the name for this one as "SWAMPGAS", and my sense of humor took it from there. (said sense of humor never really made it past the 'toilet humor' stage, so there you go.)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like