back to article Samsung parades 30in screen with DisplayPort

Samsung has raised the bar for LCD display resolutions giving square-eyed screen-addicts another reason to drool uncontrollably. It has unveiled the world’s first 30in LCD display, capable of providing a 2560 x 1600 resolution through the next-generation DisplayPort video interface. To provide such high resolution, the screen …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Kevin Crisp

So how can I tell?

Given that 99 pip niner of us are looking at this piccie on a screen with a somewhat lower resolution, what's the point of showing it?

Tomorrow's world demonstrated HD TV some years ago - pointing out the beauty of the picture to the millions watching it on SD TVs.

Unless of course, you are subtly taking the piss out of yourselves, in which case yellow fizzy stuff all round.

2. Chrome

Screenshot

I've always loved screenshots of the latest display technologies

'See how this wonderful hi-def TV looks through your crappy monitor'

Or, alternatively, 'See your crappy monitor' :)

3. Frank Bough

TV?

This isn't a telly, it's a luxury computer monitor. Tellys stop at 1920x1080, and tend to be larger than 30inches.

Having had brief exposure to a 30inch computer monitor all I can say is, I want one.

4. Andrew

2560x1600.. meh

the high resolution on a 30" display card has been played, the apple cinema display and dell 3007wfp have been around for a long time now. WUXGA isn't new, just new to the tv world?

5. Tim Parker

..the screen’s additional capabilities include [...] a viewing angle of 180 degrees

Hmmmm - thinks

"I wonder if I could distinguish all 1+ billion colours at that viewing angle ?"

6. Dillon Pyron

Oh great!

TVs are barely showing up with HDMI/HDCP (and AV receivers still are rare enough) and now a new interface comes along. And I thought we were set for at least a few years. But how long before we see any devices that will drive these TVs? SuperDuper-HD-DVD? UltraViolet-DVD? XBox 720? Playstation 10? (remember those ads a few years ago?)

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

woohoo or should that be wiiiii

Great but will Eric Cartman be able to plug his Wii into it?

8. Kenneth Munn

It is not a TV!

It is meant to be used as a computer monitor. It could be used as a TV, if a display port to HDMI adapter comes out.

9. Scott Mckenzie

TV's barely showing up with HDMI/HDCP!?

Where've you been looking, even £300 sets from Asda have it now... i've seen some with HDMI 1.3 even!!!

And as for it not being a TV... i'm lost, it says it's next generation so of course it is, it'll merely upscale and interlace existing resolutions - much like HD Compatible/Ready sets do to display 1080i etc

1080p will become 257879867836579843p before long and Blu Ray and HD-DVD will have to change everything!

10. Kenneth Munn

Re:TV's barely showing up with HDMI/HDCP!?

"And as for it not being a TV... i'm lost, it says it's next generation so of course it is, it'll merely upscale and interlace existing resolutions - much like HD Compatible/Ready sets do to display 1080i etc"

The only time the article says next generation is "It has unveiled the world’s first 30in LCD display, capable of providing a 2560 x 1600 resolution through the next-generation DisplayPort video interface."

Notice the fact that next generation applies to the interface, not the monitor.

Also you say its going to upscale the existing resolutions. The article has no mention of this ability in the monitor at all.

"1080p will become 257879867836579843p before long and Blu Ray and HD-DVD will have to change everything!"

No 1080p will stay for a while since true 1080p tv programming is just now arriving.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like