back to article Sun puts Shanghai Opterons in Galaxy boxes

While it isn't always the case, Sun Microsystems usually likes to wait until it can actually ship products before it sends out a press release. So while Advanced Micro Devices announced the "Shanghai" quad-core Opterons for servers nearly a month ago, Sun is only making its "Galaxy" x64 launch today because it has enough of the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Galaksie

Is this the same Galaxy that made my graphics card? No doubt I'll get some abuse for only currently owning a geforce 6800 GT (shut up geeks, I have a life- I spend much more money on drums than I do useless pc gaming performance) but I'll moan about it anyway, the first one melted after 10 minutes of far cry and was subsequently replaced with one that a few months down the line crashes whenever it gets a bit of use, it actually seems to be down to galaxy's "stock-overclocking" as using nvidias overclock util (and voiding the "warranty") to return the card to nvidias stock core & mem speeds eliminates the problem,

if they can't do a graphics card, i don't know if I'd trust their servers!

2. E

n/t

Going forward I see more processors. Gonig forward I see more servers. Going forward I wish I saw a replacement for the eruction "going forward".

3. dedmonst
    Dead Vulture

TPM's usual Sun lovee-in

> Sun Microsystems usually likes to wait until it can actually ship products before it sends out a press release.

Are you serious? Sun must have talked about ZFS and Janus for over 2 years before shipping - how about Rock? They've been talking about that for years as it keeps slipping!

Don't try and make out Sun is any better than the other vendors in this respect.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Galaxy and graphics

Galaxy is just a code name for a family of servers within Sun. Nothing to do with a

company that makes graphics cards.

The x4600 has supported 4 generations of Opteron, single core RevE, Dual core RevF, Barcelona, and now Shanghai.

5. David Halko
    Happy

SUN's Press Releases About Released Products

dedmonst says, "Are you serious? Sun must have talked about ZFS and Janus for over 2 years before shipping - how about Rock?"

I don't remember seeing any press release about Rock being released yet.

I also don't remember seeing SUN providing a press release about ZFS before it was released.

I don't remember ever seeing a press release about the release of Janus.

People in architecture need to plan for 1, 2, and 3 years out. This means that some level of information needs to be available.

SUN indicated that they will upgrade processors and processor uniboards for UltraSPARC chassis' until end of life, and they did that with revs of UltraSPARC III, UltraSPARC IV, and UltraSPARC IV+ --- performing press releases each time.

SUN had indicated that they will slot 4 core AMD processors into existing platforms once they were released and they did a press release when it happened.

If you are suggesting that other vendors are doing press releases for products that are not available or do not become available, then I would suggest that SUN is better then the other vendors.

There is a significant difference between an road map, educating the consumer while a product is in development, and announcement of a product release. Perhaps this is where the confusion is?

This topic is closed for new posts.