back to article Euro Commish probes Amazon's marketplace, worries Bezos' beast is sniffing 'competitively sensitive' seller data

The European Commission has inserted a probe into Amazon to ascertain if the giant digital souk breaches EU competition regulations by exploiting "sensitive" data from third-party sellers who use its marketplace. Margarethe Vestager, the EC commish in charge of competition policy, confirmed the formal opening of the antitrust …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I just hope Vestager new role won't be a "promoveatur ut amoveatur"...

... meanwhile Italy's Lega wants the European Commissioner for Competition seat, and don't expect they will send someone willingly to follow Vestager steps - they will select someone tasked with allowing big companies to do whatever they like (like Almunia), and allow masqueraded state aids (as Italy is planning with Alitalia)

Hope the Commision won't appoint a yes-man (or woman).

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

I've often wondered...

...just how much information Amazon gathers from the retailers/sellers etc and what they do with the data and how it may influence what Amazon itself chooses to stick and sell directly.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I've often wondered...

As far as I can tell, their recommendations are definitely not based on a quality based assessment of the products. I've bought one or two products that went back about an hour after they arrived due to their appalling quality.

2. lglethal Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Re: I've often wondered...

Well hopefully we're about to find out.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like