back to article No DeepNudes please, we're GitHub: Code repo deep-sixed as Discord bans netizens who sought out vile AI app

GitHub has deleted a repository containing partial blueprints of DeepNude, the notorious AI-powered app that stripped clothes from women in photos to generate fake naked pics. These fragments of decompiled Python source code revealed the inner workings of the software, and were generated from a copy of the DeepNude application …

1. Paul Crawford Silver badge

misogynistic monstrosity

When with the opposite version be created, the guess-the-dong-length version for hen parties de-robeing men?

OK, I forgut that was never going to be so popular...

1. Doctor Evil

Re: misogynistic monstrosity

"When with the opposite version be created, the guess-the-dong-length version for hen parties de-robeing men?"

Women don't need a special app for that; they just look at your hands and feet. Tells 'em -- with a good degree of correlation -- what they want to know.

Right, "Big Donald"?

1. phuzz Silver badge

You know what they say about men with big feet.

It's expensive to get shoes, of course.

2. LucreLout

Women don't need a special app for that; they just look at your hands and feet. Tells 'em -- with a good degree of correlation -- what they want to know.

I wish! I have big hands and clown size feet...... the rest I'll round up to "average".

2. cirby

Supposedly, the original plan for DeepNudes was for a male version too, they just got shut down too soon.

Meanwhile, if someone creates a nude portrait of a female or male celebrity with Photoshop (or even paper and pencil), that's apparently acceptable, and has been for years. Because it's art.

2. Teiwaz

It appears Discord has also banned users who sought out the app

Again, the system also punishes the very human impulse to curiosity.

Oh, of course, it's one of those features, many would like to see weeded out of the species, because whistle-blowers, and people poking at things others rather they didn't and finding flaws, and inconveniently thinking outside of the box.

Nope, I never had a discord a/c - I keep confusing it with Disqus (it's not Disqus, is it??)

3. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Yes nukes please we're github

Github's parent company sells a lot of software to military they don't seem to have any moral problems with that

1. Sandtitz Silver badge
      Stop

Re: Yes nukes please we're github

What would GitLab do if these repos suddenly appear over there...?

4. TReko
    Coat

Finally a killer app for Google Glass

running this in real-time on Google Glass goggles will add a whole new meaning to "augmented reality"

1. Anonymous Coward
      Coat

Re: Finally a killer app for Google Glass

On the other hand - looking at the over-weight blobs walking down the high street (me included) -

THE HORROR, THE HORROR !!!!!

Mine is the XXXXXL one.

1. Jedit Silver badge
        Coat

That's not how mirrorshades work, Ian!

(Mine's the one that hopefully did not just turn invisible.)

2. Carpet Deal 'em
        Happy

That might be a better use of AG glasses: replacing the blobs with what they'd look like if they were thin. You'd need a notice of some sort to show the actual collision lines, but it'd still make for a more pleasant day.

2. caffeine addict

I mean, technically, if you're taking stuff away, is it still augmented reality...?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Nope, it's demented reality then, isn't it?

3. SimonC

As a kid the idea of x-ray specs was always a fantasy prop used for comic effect in cartoons, I never imagined until your post that it could become a reality.

4. LucreLout

Sadly, what you propose would indeed be a killer app.

Silver lining though - the tech might then get enough R&D time to evolve into something useful to the rest of us (Augmented reality that is, rather than pervy nonsense).

5. Sandtitz Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Is there a goggle app to plaster "They Live" faces on all/random passersby?

1. Dave559 Silver badge
        Trollface

Or an app to display the face of the Aphex Twin on all passers-by?

(Troll icon chosen specifically for the manic grin!)

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Lot of inappropriate outrage. The genie is out of the bottle, society may as well get used to computer generated art, including nudes. As usual the issue isn't really the tools but for what purpose individuals use it. Banning any account with a connection seems a desire to be seen to be doing something, anything, and difficult to justify. And probably won't be.

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Also, it's basically just a Photoshop automation toy that essentially stick the head of someone onto the nude body of someone else. In essence, it's not much different to some of the filters that things like SnapChat offer. Wouldn't it be ironic if they offered the service, or something like it, just to get the publicity!

I fail to get excited (in any sense of the word) by this but would happily a host a repository for the relevant code because takedown notices should not be enforced so readily. The next time it could be some very useful new cryptographic algorithm,

6. Nick Kew
    Big Brother

Slippery Slope

If the censors can kill this off, how far does it spread? Take down GnuPG because terrorists?

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: Slippery Slope

More likely VLC/decss cos piracy

7. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge
    Coat

Teh Interwebz be not a fun place anymore.

Time to skedaddle outta here and start a colony on Mars...

1. caffeine addict

Amanfrommars1 beat you to it...

2. wayward4now
      Alien

"Time to skedaddle outta here and start a colony on Mars..."

Ah... try Venus, I am already here.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

this misogynistic monstrosity went viral, and the internet detonated with rage

oh dear

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wow...triggered.

This article reads like a spittle-flecked North Korean news report. Who wrote this drivel?

10. DropBear

Well guess what, I'm going to keep using a neural net to generate virtual nude images of whoever I damn well please and there's not a single thing you can do to stop me. How do you like that, huh? ...well, yes, actually it is implemented in wetware, and no I can't exactly save the images anywhere - how did you guess?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Lucky you, those of us with Aphantasia don't have that option

11. Matthew Taylor

Stop right there tide!

Paging King Canute, please come to the beach phone...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like