back to article Unseen touchscreen Nokia leaked

Speculation’s rife that Nokia has developed a stylish touchscreen talker, following publication of a leaked teaser image. Touchscreen_nokia Nokia's latest iPhone killer? The picture, which Nokia has already confirmed is authentic, shows three shots of a full touchscreen talker. In each shot, the phone’s running a different …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Carl
    Thumb Up

Wow...

2 for 1 on the possessive apostrophes today then....

Maybe this will be a toucher that I can get along with - as long as it is running Symbian and not WM then that will be a good start...

2. James Dunmore
    Unhappy

Still waiting for

The 5500 - which was supposed to be around by Christmas!

3. Neil Hoskins
    Thumb Down

"widget-based"?

I wouldn't believe everything (anything?) your iBling fanboy colleague in San Francisco writes. The N97 UI is not widget-based. The home screen may be capable of displaying widgets, but the rest of the UI is just an updated S60.

4. Bronek Kozicki
    Go

but why ? ...

"But why couldn’t these enhancements - whatever they may be - have been shown off on an existing talker?"

Let me take a guess - because making these changes to an existing phone would cost the same or more as developing new one? After all, Nokia's phones are customised firmware running on standard hardware in a nice box.

5. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

Lost in translation

When did "talker" become a synonym for "phone"?

6. Simon Stanford
    Alert

"iPhone-style layout of an SMS conversation."

I'm guessing you're not aware of Nokia's Conversations application that's been available for quite some time...

I remember thinking that the iPhone's SMS interface looked incredibly similar when playing about with a friends just after its launch...

7. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Ooooooooh.....

Pretty pretty shiny pebble.... want one.

Surely you don't go to that much trouble just to develop a UI...

Paris, want one.....

8. Simon Stanford
    Alert

I'm guessing you're not aware of Nokia's Conversations application that's been available for quite some time...

I remember thinking that the iPhone's SMS interface looked incredibly similar when playing about with a friends just after its launch

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Disappointing.

Down from top of the world to eventually being seen as an Apple wannabe by joe public.

10. Gareth

Flattery

"the UI looks nothing like those on modern-day Nokia phones"

Yes, but it does look familiar. Large touch screen.... finger swipe interaction... Ooooh, it's on the tip of my wossname..

11. NEUR0M4NCER
    Thumb Up

... and another one

... that looks like the magical gPhone photoshop from a couple years back. Has it really taken all these companies this long to realise that the hype over one fake photo justified a phone to be developed in its image?

To hell with usability. We all saw that gPhone fake and wanted it. Not even the iPhone looks as good. All screen. No buttons (maybe hidden away on the side). Finger friendly UI. It will sell millions.

12. Simon

Why does....

every touch phone look like the iPhone, maybe is because to be a touch phone it has to have a touch interface? The majority of touch phones are going to look like this !!

I care more about what a phone does than look like...

I also agree with Simon Stanford, why do I see so many of Nokia Alpha/Beta ideas popping up on other non s series phones, lets just see if Sportstracker, viNe, Friend View, Mobile Web Server and the likes start appearing on other phones.

Give me an N95 over an iPhone 3G still !!

13. Lewis Skinner
    Thumb Down

Look like the iPhone?

Not every touch-screen looks like the iPhone. many do, admittedly, since the advantage of a touch phone is that one doesn't need a physical interface this affords us larger screens. however, take a look at Sony's W960i (my current phone) and X1, HTC's G1 and Diamond, Samsung's Tocco and Omnia and many others. Two of these even have slide-out QWERTY keypads in addition to touch-screen, and the W960 has a conventional keypad.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like