back to article Samsung tears wraps off Bixby Marketplace, tens of people go wild. (One at the back whispers, 'Siri, what's Bixby?')

Maintaining Bixby's reputation for being late and underwhelming, Samsung's digital assistant has finally got its own marketplace. "The Bixby Marketplace is a one-stop shop for users to browse and add a wide range of services (known as capsules) to enhance their Bixby experience," Samsung excitedly announced on Monday. As with …

1. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge
    WTF?

Priorities

The Galaxy S9/S9+ forums are full of angry customers waiting for security patches and fixes to crippling bugs that have been missing for half a year. Samsung's moderators are deleting posts and banning customers as fast as they can to make it look better, but whatever. More Bixby is what they really want.

1. Down not across

Re: Priorities

More Bixby is what they really want.

Bixby was the final nail in the coffin for me. Bye bye Samsung. I refuse to pay for phone that centers around that abomination. Kinda glad they did, ended up getting cheap Nokia 8 that turned out to be a fantastic phone.

2. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge
    Thumb Down

Why?

Just more manufacturer-imposed pointless crud that can't be uninstalled.

1. joeW

Re: Why?

Why would a non-American tech company be devoting a lot of time and effort into "rolling their own" versions of existing American-owned services?

It's a YUGE mystery.

3. Jedit Silver badge
    FAIL

This news will make three people very happy

Google "Bixby how to" and the second and third most common searches are "how to turn off" and "how to delete". The most common complaint I've heard about the series 9 Galaxies is that you can't natively remap the Bixby button. I was really hoping that Samsung would catch on and drop it from series 11 on, but it looks like they haven't yet failed hard enough.

1. Martin Summers Silver badge

Re: This news will make three people very happy

I play whack a mole with Samsung, disabling the services every time they push an update. Still wakes up when I mistakenly brush the button. Does my fruit. Its the only thing I hate about the S9.

2. JohnFen

Re: This news will make three people very happy

"you can't natively remap the Bixby button"

That right there is precisely why I will not consider buying any more Samsung phones.

4. MJI Silver badge

Very bossy phones.

I get free work mobiles and get various brands.

Currently Samshit.

Unfortunately its replacement is as well, also would not root so still using old one.

First phone to break when slipped out of pocket.

Only second phone to be punished.

I know they are inanimate objects but sorry the following deserve punishment.

1) Force installing facebook app and not allowing me to delete it after I had deleted it previously.

2) Force installing and running a pay application (every few days force stop).

3) After updates break the camera so I cannot see in screen when I take a picture.

4) Spell checking real words and abbreviations to non existing words (change KB to fix that).

5) Keeps moaning about Firefox.

But then it has survived punches, throwing at walls.

I effing hate it.

Boss has one with something called a bixy or something like that, total shit.

Probably why we are lumbered with these monstrosities.

5. BebopWeBop

Only one person said 'what's that'?

1. MrDamage Silver badge

Maybe we should re-purpose the "What's a computer?" meme to "What's a Bixby?"

6. Roj Blake Silver badge

Incredible

Does Bixby turn into Ferrigno if you make it angry?

For the youngsters - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Bixby and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lou_Ferrigno

1. JohnFen

Re: Incredible

You wouldn't like it when it's angry. Or when it's not.

2. Peter Clarke 1
      Trollface

As above, don't ask Bixby how to change a car wheel.

I'm not sure how good it is to see other people have the same sense of humour as me (and are quicker on the keyboard )

3. ocflyfish

You sir, just won on comments. Here is your gold star.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like