back to article You gotta be kitten me: Pakistan politicos feline silly after filter farce hits purrrfect conference

A political party in Pakistan is suffering the indignity of internet memedom after someone left the cat filter switched on while live-streaming a press conference. The offending video was quickly deleted from Facebook but not before screengrabs were saved by dozens of people. The Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) party was streaming the …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Cat puns freak meowt.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I think they're OK, but am easily amewsed

1. BebopWeBop

They are purrfect for this audience

2. BebopWeBop

but meoww for something completely different - a new tail

1. Anonymous Coward
          Go

You guys haven't so much hijacked this conversation, as purr-loined it.

1. Player Piano

Maybe so - but it's not fur lack of trying.

2. Mark 85

One Twitter user suggested making cat filters mandatory for all future political coverage starting with the UK parliament.

Here in the States, I'm not sure it would change people's perception of what the government actually does besides call each other names. Then again... Cat Fight!!!!!

1. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge

Should make things more interesting, especially in South Africa.

Instead of c*t ears, we can now have elephant trunks and ears. Or kudu antlers.

1. Allan George Dyer
        Headmaster

Kudu have horns, not antlers. Either way, too dignified for ridiculing politicians. Stick with the elephant trunks and ears (suitably animated) and cute cat features... how about some bunny ears?

1. Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse

Kudus to you for pointing that out.

2. Muscleguy

I think Cthulu mouth tentacles would be better for politicians. Except most kiddies would thinki it was a Pirates of the Caribbean reference.

But nice catch, antlers should be better appreciated though, they are an example of vertebrate Antennapedia mutation. Those are legs on their heads. They even branch in the same way limb bones do. They just lack joints and muscles.

I have a copy of a paper in the NZ Forestry journal which reports on a red deer shot at the head of Lake Wakatipu (think Queenstown, Top Of The Lake) which had a leg on its head flopping over its eye with a hoof and joints but no muscles. It attached just in front of the left antler stub. The paper shows the head intact and the cleaned bones.

It might be the remains of a symbiotic twin but why on the head and just a leg?

Deer are hexapods.

2. swschrad

cat-ch it if you can

and speaking of can, this is probably why legislation looks like a week-old litter box.

3. b0llchit Silver badge
    Devil

Quite fitting

Politics with no claws, just pointy haired ears not listening to what I say. Yes, political parties and members of parliament; how do you herd cats?

4. Irongut

"forgot to turn off the cat filter "

WTF is this a thing? Is it some kind of Facebook thing? Serves them right for using the antisocial network if so. They should broadcast on a platform available to all their constituents.

1. JetSetJim

Facebook did attempt to make itself free to everyone, although there are concerns as to just what impact this might have on the world. India at least managed to ban such a service.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Oh, it’s common and useful in online dating. It’s the Snapchat filter - graft bunny ears, cat whiskers....

Useful because it’s a sign of someone so braindead they don’t get how stupid they look. And how unoriginal it is. The female equivalent of the shirtless selfie.

1. hplasm
        Thumb Down

The female equivalent of the shirtless selfie.-

The undatable duckface!

1. Player Piano

Re: The female equivalent of the shirtless selfie.-

Also, can you imagine a *man* using a scrubby on the end of a stick to wash his lower back when he is in the bathe?

Also *very* undateable.

5. Sureo

These look like otherwise serious men. They need some lightening up.

1. Stork Silver badge

What impressed me most was that the targets appeared to take it quite relaxed. I could imagine other politicians screaming treason and making complete arses of themselves in that situation

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm all for making our parliament use these filters but I would strongly recommend not using any "pig" filters, it could get messy with some excited Tories.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Don't cum on here saying those things!

Feels weird replying to myself.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Impostor, I'm Anonymous! and so is my wife.

7. Tikimon

OMG! I never understood the threat of Deep Fakes before, but that.. that just looks SO REAL! His own mother must be thinking back, "did he ALWAYS have cat ears?" We can't let this dangerous technology fall into the hands of foreign terrorists!

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge
      Coat

Indeed, let it remain in the hands of our home-grown terrorists.

1. Player Piano
        Holmes

This explains why she left me though - she was deepfaking it all along.

8. Mike 16

Fit for purpose?

Are there also Snake, Weasel, and Barnacle filters? I have avoided such things so far (at least on my own phone, who knows what the Paparazzi use?), and those three came to mind, but the politician-appropriate list should probably also include Sloth, Vulture, ...

(Yeah, I'm not so sure how to map a barnacle onto a mammalian leech, but that's why we have developers, right?

1. Mephistro
      Devil

Re: Fit for purpose?

What would fit perfectly on politicians faces is a "Bukkake filter"!

1. Twanky

I had to look up what that meant; I'm glad I've lead a sheltered life so far.

People find the oddest things exciting.

1. JetSetJim

When the exciting things become too normalised/commonplace, more exciting things are needed to pique folk's interest. Lather, rinse, repeat, and you fairly quickly get to some weird shit.

1. Stumpy

...weird shit.

Quite literally in some cases. (or so I'm led to believe)

2. hplasm
            Gimp

"Lather, rinse, repeat, and you fairly quickly get to some weird shit."

ooh! Lather...

1. JetSetJim
              Facepalm

> ooh! Lather...

Thus invoking Rule 34 and proving the point :)

2. hplasm
        Happy

Dougals Hurd hair!

But brown!

And smiling..!

9. Efer Brick

Paws for thought

Should add a new claws to his contract, his in tray will be littered with kitteh puns

10. DropBear
    Devil

Not bad, but...

Come to think of it I reckon red, curved horns (and a forked tail whenever in full-figure) would be much more appropriate, and maybe should even be compulsory add-ons whenever a politician is on screen...

1. hplasm
      Happy

Re: Not bad, but...

Er, it's not a filer, but a filter fail...

Any fule kno that Cats rule the planet...

11. Hans Neeson-Bumpsadese Silver badge
    Coat

Mog rule?

12. sodium-light

Disconcerted

...chiefly by the cable management. Drill a big hole in your desk FFS.

13. hplasm
    Happy

In a word-

LoL!

(What else can be said?)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like