back to article Vivaldi to give abusive sites the middle finger with built-in ad blocking

Amid Google's huffing and puffing over ad blockers, an update to Chromium-based browser Vivaldi puts privacy squarely in its sights. The release, version 2.6, is not quite the feature-fest of previous builds, but contains a couple of standout tweaks to please those fed up with advertisers and online trackers, and others who …

1. Lee D Silver badge

Yeah, like all the other things they were going to do with it to make it "like Opera".

It's just Chrome. In fact, currently it's "Chrome that doesn't work for WhatsApp Web because we can't be bothered to revert the changes made in the last version". They literally won't do anything, and haven't released an update in weeks despite acknowledging that new problem within hours of the last release.

Vivaldi are an absolute, 100% complete disappointment. It's literally just Chrome with slightly different menus. All kinds of "Philip Hue colour" nonsense. They've changed the program icon 4 times. You still can't drag/drop arrange bookmarks (and it took years to get to the point where you could drag/drop bookmarks at all.

But, hey, yeah, you're gonna change the Internet with this new feature... just like the promised-and-then-years-later-ignored email client portion of Opera you were going to replicate.

The weird thing is, Vivaldi was born out of distaste with Opera which after v12 went Chrome too and stripped out all the interesting bits. Vivaldi basically did *exactly* the same, despite supposedly being the alternative "old Opera".

Sorry, but they can try to grab all the free publicity they like - they have made an average Chromium clone which they barely manage.

1. Shadow Systems

I don't like Vivaldi...

I prefer Bach & Beethoven.

I'll get my coat... =-)P

1. Aussie Doc
        Pint

Re: I don't like Vivaldi...

I like his four seasons - parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme.

Beer O' clock somewhere.

2. big_D Silver badge
      Holmes

doesn't work for WhatsApp Web

Ah, well, you see that's why it doesn't work. Did you read the article? They are blocking abusive sites!

Owt more abusive as Facebook.

3. Dr.Flay

Companies don't drop everything for 1 individual that can't use the browser properly.

Whop-de-do they changed the icon several times (so have the other browsers). This affects the browser how ?

Drag-n-drop of bookmarks works just fine or the manager page would be rather pointless.

Vivaldi is nothing like Chrome to use. You are mistaking Chromium core for Chrome browser.

Email is coming and being tested internally. It is not a core browser component so has different priorities

"all kinds of Phillips hue colour nonsense". 1 optional GUI enhancement that was easy to add is hardly all kinds of nonsense, and oooh now there is Razer support so make that 2.

Yes a whole 2 of them !

WhatsApp oh dear, 1 (admittedly major) feature has been broken between updates. This is a common "feature" of the modern world of software, get over it.

If you think you can build a top-flight browser from scratch in 2019 you need a reality check.

Vivaldi is best for nerds, researchers and people that know what they are doing, rather than stroppy kids.

Do you have anything to contribute to the article topic ?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Fairly new to Whatsapp - but I've managed to get it working in Vivaldi, synced to my phone via QR code.

Unless I'm doing something wrong?

1. Dr.Flay

Nope yer fine, it was broken temporarily for some users.

You'll probably get your chance to moan about something breaking, so hang in there.

4. JLV
      FAIL

RAM usage is much, much, lower than Chrome. Or Firefox. And, yes, that is with counting spawned subprocesses.

Personally, never really “got” Opera. But also never found it worthwhile to shit on others’ good faith efforts. Unlike you.

2. Blockchain commentard

So Vivaldi automatically download offensive sites. Thereby letting them know when a user is using their web browser. Rather intrusive isn't it tracking usage of their software without informing the end user. Just my thoughts.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

To me it seems like they've downloaded the whole Google safe sites list themselves and checked each site to categorise it, and the browser talks to the Vivaldi mothership to get the categorised site list instead of the Google mothership.

2. Dr.Flay

No Vivaldi does not automatically download offensive sites.

Perhaps you should re-read the article. If that does not help, then the problem is you don't understand the things you are complaining about.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I don't understand why any browser allows a webpage to hijack the back button (or any other browser button), prevent the user leaving the site, or redirect without user action. And you can add modal popups to that list too. All these things are fundamentally bad ideas that have very little legitimate use. The APIs that allow these things should be disabled by default in all browsers, rather than simply blocking sites based on somebody's blacklist.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Ever saved something by posting a form, then carried on browsing for a bit, then back buttoned back over the bit where you posted the form? You know the way it didn't create another copy of the thing you saved? That's why a webpage needs to "hijack the back button".

"All these things are fundamentally bad ideas that have very little legitimate use."

And yet if anyone mentions there's such a thing as a web developer the snobs on here are looking down their noses and making out there's no actual skill or value in web development.

If you don't understand a technology how about you investigate it rather than just shouting that it's shit?

1. Lee D Silver badge

There is absolute no reason for a website to hijack a back button. If they can't handle double-entry of forms by checking for a previous submission with a unique token, they are idiotic. Session control is not optional, especially when someone *actually* being able to use the back button can duplicate the form (i.e. your "protection" against such things is fake if you're just trying to fudge with the user's back button - a rogue party could easily resubmit their form another way and overwhelm your system with duplicate orders, etc.).

With HTML5 and modern scripting, there is absolutely no reason for it. Google Docs can save my form on the fly with no effort - to the standard of outperforming Office auto-save on a local machine. So can your form. Your poor design is no reason to ignore the user or fudge with their entries (because they may want to go back BEYOND your site to the search they had up before and messing with that just hinders the user.

Your poor session control is no excuse for breaking the user's browser functions.

2. Lee D Silver badge

A rule that *every* UI I've ever used breaks:

- The user gives you the orders, carry them out.

If they click End Task... end the damn task. If they click on a button, make that button perform the action. If they are clicking on a Stop button - that takes 100% absolute priority over the process they are trying to stop. If they are clicking a button in a UI... you make it show they clicked it IMMEDIATELY... and then queue the fractions of a second of task it takes to do, rather than "wait".

Linus Torvalds once expressed something similar - user actions are the highest-priority request on a desktop operating system. The file-copy can take a fraction of a second longer - but the button that says copy should depress immediately to let you know it's happening. No process on the machine should be so overwhelming prioritised that the error message takes a minute to appear, the machine chugs, the screen doesn't draw properly, the mouse stutters, the UI doesn't update, or anything else.

Not one desktop operating system that I know follows this. Not one mobile operating system, either. When I press the Home button on my Android phone - take me to the home screen. Everything else can wait until I'm there. When I tap an icon, initiate that action, everything else that's happening can delay until I'm not tapping the screen again. When I'm drag-dropping, don't let ANYTHING pop up or stutter the process, they can all wait for me to do what I'm doing - giving the computer a command.

When it's a server, we don't need to worry, but even there - if root says do something, on the command line - then just do it. It's more urgent than any hour-long RAID resync in the background and might well be critical to that RAID-resync and/or cancelling it if it's slowly trashing data.

By way of a bonus, this makes the computer feel a billion times more responsive even if it's actually taking slightly longer to do the background actions. Which is the right way round. I can bring a computer to its knees by scheduling the Windows Search database update when a user is in the middle of doing something. That just shouldn't be possible.

Nobody does it. And yet "user-initiated action" is very, very, very easily distinguished from background processes and running programs and every other type of input.

The user is king. Not doing what they say is failing at being a useful tool. Every example of a rogue action on a computer is a prime example of not respecting this - pop up windows, persistently annoying notifications, swipey-slidey-hidey menus, viruses being able to bring a computer to an absolute halt and stop the user removing them, Cancel buttons and file copy dialogs that just do their own things when busy and totally ignore the user, forcibly changing the default browser, etc.

All the UI/UX designers in the world have somehow forgotten / ignored this for 40 years, despite being frustrated in their own use of machines by the exact same thing.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Trollface

"Cancel copy"

Wait a second... I'm just copying these billions of files, and still trying even though you unplugged the net cable/the destination box crashed/caught fire... I will check what your request is soon, I'm still checking the last few million files to see if they are copying...

What? You also want to shut down? Wait a second, I have a couple of extra thousand files I wish to ask your permission to retry for... oh, you *thought* you were going to hit "force shutdown", no, I think I'll popover a new box with the "retry all billion files" button right under your mouse pointer...

There, another 50 hours wait, is that ok? "Yes|No... but yes anyway?"

1. MrMerrymaker

Re: "Cancel copy"

A minor one but I always laugh when a copy operation lists 99%... It hits 100%... Yet it isn't finished, as apparently it needs to get to 101%

2. Andy The Hat Silver badge

Re: "Cancel copy"

>USE HAMMER

*using hammer*

>STOP HAMMER

*requesting that the hammer be stopped*

>USE SPANNER

*I'm quite busy at present - did you say something?*

>I MEANT USE SPANNER

*sorry, still finishing beating the crap out of something. Please wait*

>USER OVERRIDE

*look, I've told you already ...*

>USE SPANNER

*naughty user. Instigating 'ignore user' until use hammer function complete*

>USER OVERRIDE

*Press away on those buttons user*

*oh, hammer function complete*

*what did you want to use the spanner on?*

*the spanner does not fit flat metal*

2. Charles 9

"All the UI/UX designers in the world have somehow forgotten / ignored this for 40 years, despite being frustrated in their own use of machines by the exact same thing."

Ah, but you forget. It's what the user wants...until it's NOT what the user wants. You know the difference between what the user requests and what the user really needs. And users will NEVER blame themselves, so UI designers get all the flak. And you wonder why all the coddling...because the user otherwise expects us to be f'n PSYCHIC.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

legitimate use

"All these things are fundamentally bad ideas that have very little legitimate use. "

On the contrary...

How else are users going to be tricked into installing some dodgy "antivirus/cleaner" app unless their browser throws up a scary warning that claims their device is infected?

Most of all these dodgy apps contribute a lot of advertising bucks to Google and are consistently some of the most downloaded apps on the Play Store. (Mainly due to the fraudulent virus scare tactics)

And then there are the Tech Support scams that make heavy use of Google's Captcha and Google Analytics API's and also contribute to the overall generated traffic stats.

So, how dare you say that have very little legitimate use!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nice, but...

Automatically blocking abusive sites is good, but it would be even better if they didn't rely on Google's definition of what is or isn't abusive. Or even, maybe add a bit of selectivity to it - eg allow the user to define 'abuse' to include ads that play video or audio.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Stop

Re: Nice, but...

Or any site that plays video or animated GIFs automatically for that matter.

1. Dr.Flay

You can disable GIF animations via the picture cache icon in the bottom-right of the browser.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Duh - animated gifs play automaically - end of - nothing to do with the browser

1. Dr.Flay

Go back to school.

The browser is responsible for everything you see.

Vivaldi lets you disable GIF animations, or set them to only play once.

"It is not rocket surgery".

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

While I originally down voted the AC above, sadly some sites (I’m looking at you, Facebook) have implemented their own GIF animator that overrides the browser settings.

1. Is It Me

The disable HTML5 Autoplay extension seems to block those for me in Chrome, I would guess the extension will work in Vivaldi too

2. Steve Graham

Yes, the implementation described here is a bit half-assed. The user should be able to remove and add sites to the list (and not have the changes overwritten when the browser phones home. Ho hum... I suppose I could put the Vivaldi site in my blocking hosts file.).

1. big_D Silver badge

Yes, I use Pi-Hole for DNS and I import blacklists of sites not to resolve. If there is one site in the hundreds of thousands that are auto-blocked that I need, I can white list it and that has a higher priority than my blacklists. The same for manually blacklisted sites, when the lists get updated, my manually entered black- and whitelists remain.

1. Is It Me

Another vote for Pi-Hole, shame I can't use it at work

3. Tigra 07

Firefox allows the blocking of autoplaying videos already. Shouldn't be too difficult for Vivaldi to manage

4. Cuddles

"Automatically blocking abusive sites is good, but it would be even better if they didn't rely on Google's definition of what is or isn't abusive."

Exactly. Pretty much the first things on any blocking list should be Google's tracking and advert domains, closely followed by the likes of Facebook, Twitter, etc.. Blocking abusive sites isn't much use if you deliberately omit by far the biggest offenders from the list.

5. Mystic Megabyte
    FAIL

Not enough!

"As of today, there are approximately 6,700 sites on the very naughty list."

My Pi-Hole is currently blocking 113,438 domains. Ghostery and Ublock Origin get the rest of them.

1. Dr.Flay

Re: Not enough!

Yeah but your lists will include all regular ad-services. Even the standard easylist is way bigger than the google list.

Vivaldi are only blocking bad sites, not annoying sites, hence the use of the phrase "...on the very naughty list."

I would agree that a bigger list is in order, but trackerless ads should still be allowed.

1. eldakka

but trackerless ads should still be allowed.
        Why?

Any ad that is served up by a 3rd-party domain should be blocked. Any ad that has audio or video or cookies or any scripts or activities associated with it besides it being a hotlink to the advertisers site should be blocked. Any ad that covers site content should be blocked. Any ad that takes up more than 5% of the browser window should be blocked. Any ads whose cumulative window-space with other ads that would exceed 40% of the window should be blocked.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

In other words, EVERYTHING should be blocked. In which case, why are you still on the web?

6. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"Abusive ... includes ads that resemble OS dialogues, "

One of the many good things about being able to determine what your OS dialog look like is that you can dodge that bullet without even trying.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

That's why.

That's why I always use rainbow pinks for my GUI...

7. -v(o.o)v-

If it walks like a

We don't need to fork it, well just maintain a change to it - sounds like the very definition of a fork.

Also: is Vivaldi good and stable? Looking for an alternative to the current standard browser (Chrome) in the company.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like