back to article What first attracted Ofcom boss Sharon White to the near-£1m salary offered by John Lewis Partnership?

The chief exec at Ofcom is swapping life battling telcos – or doing their bidding, depending on your perspective – for an altogether more lucrative role as the chairman of John Lewis Partnership. White rocked up at the comms regulator back in late 2014 on a relatively paltry starting salary of £270,000 per year. Prior to that …

1. BebopWeBop
    Facepalm

Ofcom chairman Lord Burns issued a canned statement: "Under Sharon's leadership, Ofcom has helped to deliver ultrafast broadband, widespread mobile 4G and now 5G, and became the first independent regulator of the BBC."

If I was not looking for a stiff drink (well it is after 17.00 here and I have had bits of the House of the Lowest Common Denominator haunting my thoughts) I would be spitting blood at this bullshit. Canned crap - probably to disguise the smell.

2. macjules
    FAIL

Ofcom has helped to deliver ultrafast broadband, widespread mobile 4G and now 5G

"Ultrafast Broadband": "So long as you don't mind us calling 6mbps 'ultrafast' "

"4G": "So long as only a couple of people are accessing the service from that cell"

"5G": "We are still waiting to see if it is ok to use Huawei"

Still, Trebles all round!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Ofcom has helped to deliver ultrafast broadband, widespread mobile 4G and now 5G

5G, the elephant in the room - "Where is the fibre backhaul for all this 5G?"

Each and every 5G cell requires a fibre backhaul for data/control/handover, can I just say that again.

Each and every 5G cell requires a fibre backhaul for data/control/handover.

The "City of London" i.e. the financial district ((1.12 sq mi) needs approx 10,000 5G cells for useful blanket 5G coverage, i.e. 10,000 fibre cables/backhaul connections made.

Ofcom, as usual, blowing their own trumpet of nonsense.

Also, there is no standards/regulation from Ofcom, in terms of what the minimum capacity of backhaul that should be used in terms of a 4G/5G cell, i.e. mandating fibre (which it should) to prevent bottlenecks. It's just incredible there isn't.

1. tip pc Silver badge

Re: Ofcom has helped to deliver ultrafast broadband, widespread mobile 4G and now 5G

installing fibre to hundreds of thousands of 5g cells is not the same issue as installing fibre to millions of homes for which not everyone is in at the same time.

Installing fibre anywhere is not a problem, it costs money and time but always achievable.You could put fibre in the middle of the m25 if you wanted too, it'd annoy everyone, require some top rate negotiation with interested parties & be very expensive but totally do able.

I don't understand why people keep moaning that 5G cells require backhaul, not all of them will some will use radio back haul and some copper. Its totally cost effective and the telco's see it as cheaper than installing fibre to every household for consumers to then hang their own wifi off it.

the future will be 5G connected kit that you associate to your own profile that will connect without the need for you to have your own network at home. You need to think outside the current way of doing this.

3. m0rt

"What first attracted Ofcom boss Sharon White...."

Staff discount would be my guess.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "What first attracted Ofcom boss Sharon White...."

Free coffee with her loyalty card?

4. Valeyard

classic

"What first attracted you to the millionaire paul daniels?"

5. Blockchain commentard

Baggsy the job. I'll sit there doing fuck all for a few years, taking the flak for doing telcos bidding. Then million pound cushy number, here I come.

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

" I'll sit there doing fuck all for a few years, taking the flak for doing telcos bidding."

This is _exactly_ the problem.

Ofcom have claimed fiefdom over what SHOULD be the Competition and Markets Authority's job instead of sticking to technical matters and the CMA have let them do so.

It was exactly the same situation in New Zealand that let things fester there for so long - a situation that only ended when their Ministry of Commerce parked tanks on the Telecom regulator's lawn and made it clear they weren't allowing the cozy wee self-congratulating shitshow to continue due to the degree of damage to the economy that had already been documented.

At that point the BT/Openreach model was offered and meekly accepted by NZ's Telco regulator.

The NZ MoC looked at it, documented BT's ongoing and egrarious UK market abuse and said "Yes this might work - but only if they are _completely separated_ dialtone/services and lines companies - and by the way you don't get any more broadband rollout funding until it happens. Hurry up."

The result is that NZ's version of Openreach is lean, mean, sells to all-comers and the NZ telecom market has changed from being a posterchild taught in many countries of how NOT to privatise your phone systems to a pretty good example of "doing it right".

Having said that, Chorus NZ is suffering from MBA disease already and faces prosecution for allowing contractors to pay below minimum wage, so nothing's perfect - but as a lines company which lives or dies on lines service it has a vested interest in making sure _ALL_ its customers are happy - the only unhappy one is the former Telecom NZ (Spark) which whines regularly about the costs being "too high" despite everyone else being happy they're less than half of what they used to be.

6. Pen-y-gors

But on the bright side

she's not going to work for BT/the BBC/ TalkTalk/ EE etc, i.e. not gamekeeper turned poacher, which is what normally seems to happen when a politician/civil servant goes private.

1. Teiwaz

Re: But on the bright side

Well, unless that's where John Lewis want to be...

...maybe taking wedding lists end to end.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

John Lewis is a Broadband ISP.

Maybe that's their new direction, sell-through in store, Apple Style.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

JL Broadband is just PlusNet Broadband re-badged.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Yes, but it doesn't have to be plus.net rebadged going forward.

2. A Nonny Moose

Which is just BT Broadband with a Yorkshire accent

7. Korev Silver badge
    Coat

Hopefully she'll be worth the Waitrose

1. Youngone Silver badge

Stop it.

8. Youngone Silver badge

damp squib

It's damp squid.

1. Mooseman Silver badge

Re: damp squib

"It's damp squid."

No, it really isn't

2. NiceCuppaTea

I hope that was an IT crowd reference, if so i tip my hat :D

1. gv

The down voters need to get off their pedal stools.

1. Youngone Silver badge

I was expecting so much more from the IT Crowd here at El Reg.

Ah well, maybe my pop culture references are for an older audience.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bribery at its finest, all of it.

"The chief exec at Ofcom is swapping life battling telcos – or doing their bidding, depending on your perspective"

She has done her work and now it's time to go and get the payment from said work.

It's obvious she's not paid for any work she'll do in the new place, but for work she did in Ofcom.

10. Commswonk
    Unhappy

On the bright side....

...I bet all the other JLP employees (who are in fact the owners; note the P in the company name) will be delighted to hear of her promised £990,000 when their last annual bonuses / dividend were slashed.

On the basis of the corporate motto of Never Knowingly Undersold it must be assumed that JLP must have Troughs (Snouts for the use of) on special offer at the moment.

1. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
      Coat

Re: On the bright side....

Sharon White's first directive - change company motto

Never Knowingly UndersoldUnderpaid

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

That ownership bit is more marketing than fact. Just ask those that are about to be outsourced how much they feel they own the place or how much choice they have in the decision. Partners in name only, called employees elsewhere.

3. Timmy B

> "...I bet all the other JLP employees (who are in fact the owners; note the P in the company name) will be delighted to hear of her promised £990,000 when their last annual bonuses / dividend were slashed."

Exactly what I thought. She could have gained a whole lot of support by sating something like "My salary is going to be a million but I refuse to take more than a third of that until we are in good enough of a place to ensure bonuses for the rest of the staff, etc." She would still be loaded but look fairly decent.

Friend works for Waitrose - I'll ask her opinion later - I'm guessing "Meh".

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

It is £200K less than the outgoing chair.

4. kamelkamel

Ofcom chairman Lord Burns issued a canned statement: "Under Sharon's leadership, Ofcom has helped to deliver ultrafast broadband, widespread mobile 4G and now 5G, and became the first independent regulator of the BBC."

If I was not looking for a stiff drink (well it is after 17.00 here and I have had bits of the House of the Lowest Common Denominator haunting my thoughts) I would be spitting blood at this bullshit. Canned crap - probably to disguise the smell.

11. Trollslayer

Broadband speeds

It is worth noting that in the US broadband speeds are worked out using blocks of areas and a supplier only needs to have one customer in a block to be considered to supply the whole block at that speed.

Cherry pick and will.

12. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Colin Bull 1
      Unhappy

Re: Meanwhile...

I take exception to the term inaction used here. Ofcom have succesfully changed the spectrum in this neck of the woods so that we cannot receive many of the Freeview channels that we once had. Without out any warning or publicity. Wankers all.

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

Re: Meanwhile...

Virtually all the Freeview channels you had (and more) are readily - and far more efficiently - available via freesat - whose antennas are less obtrusive than UHF monstrosities.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like