back to article Breaking news: Bank-card-slurping malware sneaks into Forbes' mag subscription website

The Magecart credit-card-skimming malware that is the bane of internet shoppers has been spotted again, this time on the Forbes magazine subscription website. The infection was clocked by net security watcher Troy Mursch at around 0400 UTC on Wednesday. It appears hackers unknown somehow installed malicious JavaScript on …

1. elDog

Forbes says that none of the credit card information was leaked

How do they know?

How can they verify this and prove it to an auditor?

My quick perusal of the JS code would mean that the websocket outbound traffic would need to be blocked (or at least audited.) This is not likely to have happened in a normal user's browser session.

1. Tigra 07
      Facepalm

Re: Forbes says that none of the credit card information was leaked

Begins with: "it doesn’t appear the crooks got anyone’s credit card information"

Followed by: "recent subscribers should check their credit card statements for signs of fraudulent use"

Ridiculous doublespeak.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I am not a techie

So, if I have missed something obvious please be kind.

A few years ago, I lost one of my cards and someone had a party with it. So, I got a prepaid debit card,(99p per month).

When I see something online that I want to buy, I load the card with money via bank transfer (free), give it a couple of minutes to reach the card account and buy whatever it is I am wanting.

At least, by doing this, the amount a thief could get would be very limited and would only happen once as I would cancel the card and get a new one.

This seems to be so simple that I am wondering if I have missed something screamingly obvious. As I said, I am not techie so it would not suprise me if I have.

Cheers... Ishy

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I am not a techie

Not an IT issue, but your pre-paid debit card isn't a credit card, so you don't get any dual-liability protection under Section 75 (Consumer Credit Act) for larger purchases.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: This seems to be so simple

One thing you /are/ doing is doubling the inconvenience - i.e. the amount of online transactions you are doing - which of course is fine, if you think it's worth it. Perhaps it is.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Or, rather than have to pay for a pre-paid debit card, you could open an account with one of the banks which lets you "freeze" and unfreeze your debit card (such as, in the UK, Starling Bank; a few other banks are also now starting to offer this service) and only unfreeze the debit card to allow payments when you actually want to use it.

I'm not aware of any banks offering this useful service for credit cards as yet, however?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

That's what I do, with a Starling card. It is indeed very convenient and highly recommended.

This feature started appearing in UK banking services only very recently, which means there are more than few sites potentially leaking details of my other cards.

4. charlieboywoof
      Thumb Up

Cool, I do the same with Revolute Bank Card

3. chuckufarley Silver badge

This is why...

...we can have nice things! No, wait...

This is why we can't turn off our adblockers!

The reason we can't have nice things is a deeply seated issue that will likely take years of therapy to mitigate.

4. Tony W

List of affected domains

Don't bother to look at the list of affected domains. There are 63 pages which appear to list 1249 domains. Nearly all of them are "upgrade to view."

5. RyokuMas
    Mushroom

At risk of being controversial...

Good. For their anti-ad-blocker regime, they bloody deserve it.

6. tiggity Silver badge

No excuse

Given ads on forbes have previously served malwware (ironic as Forbes try to prevent you viewing with ad blockers)

They should know how easy script based compromises are based on that prior experience.

Lack of reply to emails

All shows signs of them just not being bothered, and yet another company just making a pretence of being concerned about security

1. chuckufarley Silver badge

Re: No excuse - IFIFY

yet another company just making a pittance of being concerned about security

7. devTrail

Should not be allowed

Maybe I'm missing something, but when you pay by credit card you don't pay directly the seller, you are redirected to the bank site which processes the payment. So why are they allowed to ask for the credit card numbers before forwarding the customers to the payment network? Why are they allowed to store in their DBs the credit card numbers? The big data craze has led to the creation of a countless amount of copies of sensible data without a practical purpose that increased dramatically the risks.

1. Phil Endecott

Re: Should not be allowed

> when you pay by credit card .... you are redirected to the bank site

Err no.

You may get a “verified by visa” iframe, or similar, but you will have entered all of the card details before that on the retailer’s site.

1. devTrail

>> when you pay by credit card .... you are redirected to the bank site

> Err no.

Err yes. I never bought on Amazon and I don't know whether, given their size, they implemented their own payment system, but most of the time the payment is processed by payment providers in redirected pages.

2. Alister

Maybe I'm missing something,

Err yep...

but when you pay by credit card you don't pay directly the seller, you are redirected to the bank site which processes the payment.

That's not normally how it works. You enter your card details into the vendor site, which then passes those details to a payment verification gateway. The payment verification gateway either approves or declines the payment, based on cardholder details, card number and CVV.

If the payment verification is successful then at this point in the transaction, there optionally may also be a call to the bank's card verification process. Successful payments receive a token which is stored in the vendor database against the transaction ID to action refunds or repeat purchases.

Why are they allowed to store in their DBs the credit card numbers?

They aren't. Some cowboy outfits may do, but it's not common. If it's a vendor where you register an account, the vendor may store the last four digits of the card alongside the transaction token and user details, just so you can re-use the card for future transactions, but the four digits are simply there to display to the user so he/she can identify the saved card, not for use in transactions.

1. devTrail

That's not normally how it works. You enter your card details into the vendor site, which then passes those details to a payment verification gateway. The payment verification gateway either approves or declines the payment, based on cardholder details, card number and CVV.

You are not correct, same reply I posted above is valid for you.

1. Alister

You are not correct

Really? All the websites I manage that use Verifone, Atos or Worldpay to process our credit card sales must be doing it wrong. Thanks for the heads-up.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So why did they have to put the Bulgarian flag next to the domain

Just in case we blame the wrong world power for having a tor exit / dodgy vps hosted in it?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Terminator

Inside Magecart ..

The original Magecart skimmer was comprised of javascript embedded into e-commerce pages

How does Magecart get onto the e-commerce sites in the first place?

Analysis from Trend Micro in 2011 revealed that mass compromises of osCommerce implementations were used to inject iframes into legitimate vendor pages which then pushed users to downloads of data-stealing malware”.

Of course none of these attacks would be viable if the browser couldn't make connections outside of the main site:

NoScript detected a potential Cross-Site Scripting attack from https://www.theregister.co.uk to https://syndication.twitter.com.’

10. Trollslayer

Two days later

and it's still breaking news?

11. Mike 137 Silver badge

Never do...

Oh no! Yet again - when will they learn?

NEVER carry out any sensitive transaction processing client side, as (obviously) it's open to tampering. Always do it server side.

The prevalence of mandatory scripting on sensitive transaction web pages is little short of criminal, but it seems web devs can't or won't take note of this. I have the horrid impression that it's down to lack of expertise - that they may not even understand that a problem exists, let alone how to avoid it. The penalty of course is not theirs - it's their clients' and ultimately ours.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon