back to article Microsoft promises to boil down its lengthy and confusing privacy controls… in 1,500-word announcement

Microsoft has vowed to put an end to lengthy and confusing privacy controls and "give customers increased transparency and control over their data." But in a sign that bad habits have not been fully unlearnt, the changes were announced in a 1,360-word blog post that is very long on explanation and dangerously short on detail …

1. a_yank_lurker

Serious about Privacy?

Since Bloat 10 is nothing more than Spyware-as-a-Service, I will believe Slurp really cares when they give a simple, firm, obeyed option to not send anything to the mother ship. This is something I seriously doubt they will follow through on, hence the barfgab. Throw in enough weasel words and only the window has changed.

1. Shadow Systems

Re: Serious about Privacy?

Exactly. MS can put up or shut up.

I won't believe marketing promises or buzzword bingo management spin. Say it in plain English, put your words into actions, let me verify at least a year of you keeping your word, and then *maybe* I'll consider using Win10.

Until you prove that I can shut off *all* telemetry, that the updates are no longer forced, that an update doesn't brick a computer because you didn't bother to use any QA at all, then I won't even consider Win10 as an option.

My next upgrade will be to Linux. The moment I get Orca/screen reader to work, my next computer will not be hobbled by Windows.

MS has nobody to blame but themselves. If you idiots keep shooting yourselves in the feet, it's a miracle you have anything left to stand upon.

2. fidodogbreath

Re: Serious about Privacy?

I suspect that (a la Google and Facebook) turning off an option will not actually stop the data from being collected; it will just prevent it from being displayed in Cortana's Notebook or wherever.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Big Brother

Microsoft privacy controls™©

Microsoft said it would split data gathered into "required" and "optional." It will endeavor to explain why some data is required and will allow people to opt-out of optional data.’

Why not come clean and just admit it's all part of the NSA project to hoover up everyone "required" and "optional" data. And like the close-door button in lifts "optional" doesn't actually function. There is another way of achieving online communications, an electronic yellow-pages containing an I.D and digital signatures, and nothing else. All communications are done using end-to-end encryption and does not require being funneled through some server farm in Utah. But that ain't ever going to happen, is it. All done purely to protects us from the terr'sts ..

1. alain williams Silver badge

Re: Microsoft privacy controls™©

Microsoft said it would split data gathered into "required" and "optional."

So: people cannot switch off telemetry. But will Microsoft publish a program that lets the PC owner see what data has been sent to Microsoft/NSA ? That program must be open source so that we can verify that it is telling the truth.

This is all rather ironic considering the fuss about Huawei.

1. Shadow Systems

At Alain Williams, re: something to check traffic.

Isn't that what things like WireShark are for?

1. alain williams Silver badge

Re: At Alain Williams, re: something to check traffic.

Isn't that what things like WireShark are for?

You won't see what is being sent as the telemetry is encrypted.

Microsoft is right to encrypt it as it may contain personal information. This is why a tool needs to be provided that the user can run on their PC.

2. Spanners Silver badge
        Black Helicopters

Re: Microsoft privacy controls™© - fuss about Huawei.

The main crime that Huawei has committed is not making everything available to the NSA, CIA, FBI and other such criminal groups as well as every branch of the US legal "system".

In fact, I can not see that doing business with Huawei rather than a US company is anything but a bonus to my personal security. If the Chinese want to hack us, they would not need such back doors, whether they exist or not. Making it harder for US spooks to get into things keeps, not only them out. That keeps the US governemnt out and therefore their corporate sponsors.

3. Chris G

Don't look at what I'm doing;

Listen to what I'm saying.

Sleight of hand and card tricks work like this.

As for " The Future is Private", the Zuckerbag is being honest he will keep everything he slurps from you private, he won't tell you what he's got.

Unless of course you are a paying customer for some of his precious.

1. macjules
      Big Brother

Re: Don't look at what I'm doing;

I think that what he means is that all of Facebook's staff data is private. Sod the livestock though.

1. herman

It means that he's got everyone by the privates.

2. herman

Truncated one word

"The future is private enterprise"

3. sawatts

"The Future is Privatised"

4. Snowy Silver badge
    Joke

I spotted a spelling mistake....

[quote]"The future is private," said a vast screen behind The Zuck: a scene so ridiculous (given that Facebook's entire business model is built on ignoring personal privacy) that it could come straight from spoof tech bro comedy Silicon Valley.[/quote]

I believe it should have read "The future is your privates"

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "The future is your privates"

Well, FB and the rest have you by the short and curlies anyway so giving them the rest of your life won't be that difficult now will it?

Just say NO to all anti-Social Media platforms. They are like drugs. Once hooked it is difficult to get off them.

5. Updraft102

It's all privacy theater

The whole point of having the bewildering array of privacy features is for Microsoft to be able to claim that Windows 10 has more privacy features than any other version of Windows, which people are supposed to confuse with Windows 10 having more privacy than other versions of Windows. The whole point of privacy features is not to give the users more privacy-- it's to give them less. By having incredibly specific and granular privacy controls, it means that everything else is still at maximum promiscuity. A simple OFF switch for all telemetry would only be one privacy feature rather than the large number Windows 10 has, but it would be a lot more private. Having no telemetry at all would be zero privacy features, but it doesn't get any more private than nothing.

Of course, that doesn't mean that fewer privacy features will confer more privacy. It's Microsoft, so it's more likely that they'll continue to hide the real meat of the data they wish to slurp behind the facade of security features. By adding more and more privacy options, then cutting them back when it confuses people, Microsoft can appear to be "doing something" about privacy complaints and complaints about excessive complexity without ever really addressing the issues people have. It's nothing but privacy theater. Windows 10 will take the data it wants to take, and that's that. Even the vaunted enterprise edition of 10 has "security" as its most private mode, wherein it only sends security-related telemetry to MS. Even then, there's no "off" setting. "Security" is a lot closer to "off" than anything consumers get, but it's not the same as an actual "off." MS apparently wants everyone to be clear that it calls the shots, and that if it wants to take some data, it will do so.

1. fung0

Re: It's all privacy theater

You deserve double-digit upvotes for this observation.

The term "privacy features" should remind us of George Carlin's observation about weasely corporate claims like "chocolatey"...

6. jake Silver badge

Too little too late, Microsoft (Facebook, Amazon, Google, et alia).

I already have increased transparency and control over my data. I run Linux and BSD, and shun all billion dollar multinational advertising companies.

Problems solved.

1. Rich 11
      Alien

Re: Too little too late, Microsoft (Facebook, Amazon, Google, et alia).

Problems solved.

That's what They want you to believe. ;-)

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Hope you also don't use Chrome, Android, Google Search, Youtube, GMail, Google Maps, Facebook, Whatsapp, Instragram, etc etc.

1. jake Silver badge

I don't use those, no. Thanks for asking.

(Well, to be perfectly honest, I'll check youtube once in a while for pertinent user generated content, but when I do I don't use an IP address that the gootards can trace to me. The rest I don't use at all, and can't remember the last time I accessed any of them in any way. After monitoring it for a year and finding no false positives, I silently drop incoming goomail on the floor at the border routers; no intelligent life there, so no loss.)

3. N2

Agreed,

But don't forget your hosts file.

7. cornetman Silver badge

> "data we collect about the pictures people are inserting into Word documents."

Wait, what? Why would Microsoft want to know what pictures I'm inserting into my documents?

>But the proof, as ever, is in the pudding.

And BTW, the proof is in the eating (of the pudding).

8. FozzyBear
    Mushroom

Microsoft said it would split data gathered into "required" and "optional."

It's obvious that you have NOT listened to users based on this statement above.

I'm telling you Macro$lurp right now there is nothing , NOTHING on my Laptop, Desktop or otherwise that is required, needed or crucial to you after I have purchased the OS licence. Nothing, not the version, config, search items, not one bit, not one byte. Are you listening you fucking retards. NOTHING

1. Ole Juul

Re: Microsoft said it would split data gathered into "required" and "optional."

Required data is what flows my way, and optional data is what goes to Microsoft. Source code is required on the user side, and any data going the other direction is optional.

2. Blockchain commentard
      Joke

How do they know there's nothing there unless they slurp it and sell it to 3rd parties for "analysis"? Think it through mate.

1. Ole Juul

"How do they know there's nothing there unless they slurp it and sell it to 3rd parties for "analysis"? Think it through mate."

I don't get the joke, sorry. However, I'm guessing that you're assuming I want source code for auditing. No. I just don't like closed source and think that is part of the problem here and it's time to move on from that business model. I personally couldn't care less if MS makes any money or not since they're not spending it on anything that would benefit me anyway. To me the joke is that there are still people insisting on supporting MS and going along with their shenanigans.

3. NATTtrash

It's obvious that you have NOT listened to users...

Why do you assume this is in response to what users have expressed? Maybe it all has to do with rather "unfavourable" legal developments, a sideward glance at slurper-friend "the big G", seeing that they have to decrease their annual profit statements due to a rather big bill they were presented with, and then having the discussion...

"Thank you everyone for clearing the time on your no-doubt busy schedules. It looks like the current environment is somewhat unfavourable with some new challenges that have emerged. Not only for us, but especially for our share holders. The SWOT here makes it very clear. It looks like we have to start an intensive communication strategy, marketing some minimal required changes to our product to ensure continuity and profitability [...]"

So, to use more marketing language, where did you get the idea that this had anything to do with "customers", "customer needs", or "customer satisfaction"?

4. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

It's obvious they have listened to users, realised they have an image problem and, in typical marketing fashion, tried to solve it by coming out with an anodyne statement to try to justify business as usual.

9. James Anderson

Surprised there is anything to gather.

As an IT professional who works daily on four or five different OSs I dread dusting of the Windows 10 laptop and opening the lid.

After waiting a couple of hours for the update feeding frenzy to finish, I then spend 10 minutes or so putting back the various privacy settings I set a couple of months ago, oh, and set the default browser to something that isn't edge Again.

At which point I can attempt to do some useful work, if I can find the one application I need to use amongs all the useless tiles and options, even more of a pain is trying to locate the files I need. MS seems to have given up on the tried and tested Folder concept and instead presents me with a random list of files which it thinks I might want.

How any casual user manages to actually get through this colourful maze and generate any data worth slurping is a mystery.

1. NATTtrash

Re: Surprised there is anything to gather.

Well... April 2019 DESKTOP/ LAPTOP (Platform Share%)

Windows 87.44%

Mac OS 9.74%

Linux 2.16%

Chrome OS 0.33%

Unknown 0.32%

BSD 0.01%

Because it's an industry standard!

Because it's essential for work!

Because I can't play games if I don't have it!

Because that's what it came with!

I assume we've all heard these (and many more) arguments. I know it sounds like exaggeration, but we all know that there are people out there that still believe they can't open emails if they don't have Windows. So..

1. James Anderson

People use windows either because:-

a -- they do not know there are other options.

b -- Like me -- there is just one PITA application they must have which is only available on windows

c -- They are well and truly stuck in the MS eco system with office365, outlook, access etc. etc.

Either way it does not hide the fact that Windows 10 is an expensive mess data slurping , updates bricking working systems, the switch to an open ended subscription system which will leech your cash for years to come.

They had a well thought out, usable, debugged, reliable OS and they ditched it in favour of a confusing multicoloured mess.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

For the average Joe...

d -- because it came 'free', was already installed on the box and it (along with the other 'free' crap) and does most of what they want to do. So why go through the hassle of installing something different (along with the hassle of re-learning how to do stuff)

2. cornetman Silver badge

> Because it's an industry standard!

Which one? Each Windows major release has a completely different desktop. Hardly a standard.

10. beep54
    Meh

Microsoft promises....

Isn't that a de facto oxymoron?

11. Neil Barnes Silver badge
    Linux

Microsoft do rather miss the point

There is no need to separate data into 'necessary' and 'nice to have' or indeed any other category. In particular, the user should have no need to plough through a maze of twisty little passages, all alike, just to try and decide which of his data he will be allowed to (allegedly) keep out of MS's sticky little fingers.

There should be exactly *no* data flowing from you to an OS maker unless and until you explicitly request it. It's that simple. MS have no need to know what programs I am running, how big my disc drive is, how slow my processor, what I'm searching for and where, my location, the weather, how much uptime I've had, what's in my documents... nada, zip, zilch.

It's that simple. There should be an expectation that anything I do with my computer is between me and the computer, and maybe a website owner. We've spent years being sucked into the expectation that all is funded by advertising, and that data must be collected for our comfort and convenience, and now we're presented with this bullshit?

Nah. -->

1. James Anderson

Re: Microsoft do rather miss the point

The point is they see Google Facebook et-al coining it selling users private data and they want their share.

MS is a me-too company. Sometimes with success (Azure, X-Box) but more often complete failure (Windows Fone, Groove music etc.) as they dive into new markets half-cocked with bugggy software and incomplete business plans.

12. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

MS's privacy statement could be very short

as in

We will not take any user or application information from your computer without your consent which you can change at any time

Naturally the consent will be burried away deep in some app that required elevated priv to run from within Powershell that only a few select people inside MS will even know about and under a 1000 page NDA but it will be there...

But they won't so it is BAU from Slurp.

Proudly Windows free for almost 2 years.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

Microsoft's 1500 word privacy statement...

Generated in Python:

privacy = "All your life is ours." + " blah" * 1495

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

a 1,360-word blog post that is very long on explanation and dangerously short on detail

Spin.

15. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Feedback ? I'll give you feedback !

My home server is now running on Mint. I have discussed with my sister and she has agreed to let me put Mint on her laptop as well. My wife's laptop is heading for Mint. As soon as I find the right video drivers, my nephews' game laptop is going to Mint as well.

Obviously my work laptop will have to stay Win7 for the time being, but I am looking into making the transition there as well. My home game rig will, unfortunately, have to stay Win7 for the foreseeable future, because gaming, and my daughter's laptop will have to as well because the video editing program that she uses for her projects does not have Linux version. But all those rigs that are not Mint will stay Win7 until the hardware dies.

How's that for feedback, SatNad ?

16. mark l 2 Silver badge

I think if you need Windows 10 because 7, 8, Linux, BSD, MacOS or something else won't do and you are concerned about the MS slurping, the best bet is run it inside a VM and deny it internet access once your OS has been installed and activated.

If you need to download patches or software download them on your host OS and copy them over to the VM

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

That's a long-winded way to work. What a pity it's the only sensible way.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Unluckily some graphics programs that do expect a color calibrated workflow are quite unusable into a VM because having two OS trying to manage the screen(s) is not very good. Same issues when you want to take full advantage of the native GPU through its dedicated driver. While you can try to give direct access to the underlying hardware to a VM, it's not exactly the easiest approach for non skilled users. And if you spend most time working in the VM, it will still slurp most of your habits.

17. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"Zuckerberg declares with a straight face"

From the pics I've seen that's the only face he's got with always the same expression on it.

1. Vometia Munro Silver badge

He's a bit scary. He has either that very static-looking, well-rehearsed smile that is FB's carefully choreographed public image, or when he isn't at a pre-arranged PR shindig, just the weird, blank expression we've seen so often.

1. JohnFen

"just the weird, blank expression we've seen so often."

Ah yes, the standard unfeeling gaze of the sociopath.

18. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"Required" is a weasel word when it's MS that get to define what they require. A more trustworthy term would be "the minimum required to perform the user's operation".

Definition by example is another problem as it can only be a partial list. Even if the definition is an apparently clear list of what's gathered you need to look at what's not excluded. For instance the last time I looked at the wordy MS privacy statement it included "transactions". At a casual glance it looks fair enough, if you buy something from Microsoft obviously they need to record the transaction. But it didn't say "your transactions with us", just "transactions" which covers any sort of transaction MS decide to snaffle; transactions with your bank, for instance, are equally covered.

Taking into account the last point we need to restrict that apparently trustworthy term a bit further: "the minimum required to perform the user's operation on a Microsoft provided service" and the place to define that isn't in relation to the OS, it's in relation to the services where it can be precisely defined for each service. Everything else should not be just "optional", it shouldn't be collected at all.

19. elgarak1

Two comments.

1) Microsoft has spent decades using only non-content, lengthy, buzzword PR language, everywhere. I remember when Sharepoint was new, and I wanted to learn about it (as a non-corporate person) that on their webpage I had to click through to the third page of their "About" link (in printed terms, that would have been on the fourth or fifth A4 page) to even learn the first hard feature (that it's a server software). It's hard to change that habit when they spent decades on perfecting it.

2) The reason that they only promise to add these controls is that the data collecting is deeply embedded in the code. I suspect they themselves do not even know where all the data collecting is triggered, so they cannot say if they are able to remove or alter it.

1. JohnFen

"I suspect they themselves do not even know where all the data collecting is triggered, so they cannot say if they are able to remove or alter it."

If that's true, then I've been giving Microsoft far too much credit. They've always appeared to me to be technically competent, with the objectionable engineering problems resulting from bad management rather than technical incompetence. But the picture you posit is one of a high degree of technical incompetence.

1. jake Silver badge

@JohnFen

Yes, there are technically competent people at Microsoft. Unfortunately, not a single one of them have any power to do anything. The joint is clearly run by the lizard people in Marketing.

20. fidodogbreath

They know what we need better than we do

Microsoft is quite clear that it has listened as much as it wishes to, has made some decisions, and now you are all going to be happy about it. Whenever it comes.

It's the One Microsoft Way. They can't help it; it's in their nature.

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

When Suckerberg declares with a straight face at F8 event: 'The future is private,' he means you'll never know what Faceplant is up to.

22. Hans 1
    Holmes

I never got this Apple iTunes or Windows privacy bullshit I have to accept, anyway.

I have no means of checking whatever is written in these is true, and absolutely no reason to trust what is written is true.

Apple/Microsoft do not know where your data is going to, they can claim otherwise, but unless they open source their wares, they cannot prove it.

23. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Slurping data on which images people insert in Word documents?

Why? Just WHY????

What possible use could that data be to MS? In future, every image I insert in a Word document will have an offensive or pornographic filename :-D

1. jake Silver badge

Re: Slurping data on which images people insert in Word documents?

"In future, every image I insert in a Word document will have an offensive or pornographic filename :-D"

Or, you could just shift to LibreOffice and avoid the issue completely.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like