back to article Self-taught Belgian bloke cracks crypto conundrum that was supposed to be uncrackable until 2034

A cryptographic puzzle proposed two decades ago that involves roughly 80 trillion squarings has been cracked much earlier than expected – in just three and a half years. We say cryptographic because it involves a verifiable delay function [PDF], a moderately hard cryptographic function. The conundrum was set by Ronald Rivest …

1. Rich 11
    Pint

Well done (see icon)

Belgian, naturally.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Well done (see icon)

The NSA probably completed the task days after it was originally proposed, but telling the world would have caused panic.

1. NoneSuch Silver badge

Days?

"He believed that a single computer would have to be running for 35 years continuously, where the hardware would have to be upgraded every year to the next fastest chip available."

The NSA have multiple clusters of Cray computers and the best mathematicians in the world. Assuming they didn't have backdoor access, it would take them minutes of computer time.

1. Chris 244
          FAIL

Re: Multiple Clusters

RTFA. Multiple clusters won't help.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Alien

Re: Multiple Clusters

But the alien quantum computer they have could....

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

It is rather NSA completing the task the day before it was published that would really cause the panic.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Machismo, Intellect, Nationality

A younger relative is a keen chess player and heavy metal afficianado.

On a trip to Belgium, he visited a heavy metal club with a somewhat charged atmosphere including a lot of skinheads not obviously there to discuss flower arranging.

All round the walls were tables with a chessboard in the middle with games happening on most of them, apparently to quite a high standard of play.

Being able to think well did not automatically classify one as an oddball minority.

The probability of ever seeing such a scene in England is precisely zero.

2. Michael Hoffmann Silver badge
    Joke

Caesar said the Belgians are the worthiest...

A cryptanalyst team in a small village in Gaul under their leader Vitalstatistix considers this unacceptable and will now crack this in less than a month. And have "J.C." Rivest judge the truly worthiest.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Caesar said the Belgians are the worthiest...

Caius Tiddleus was unavailable to adjudicate this time.

2. JJKing
      Pint

Re: Caesar said the Belgians are the worthiest...

So they too can pick up Thor's hammer. Now that's impressive.

3. Ben1892
    Coat

I can't wait until 2012 when we will have 10GHz clock rates !! (sorry, mines the one with the liquid nitrogen in the pocket)

1. jonathan keith
      Joke

Beat 10GHz with this one simple trick

I've already got a 15GHz clock rate here in my home. You can too: just sum all your devices.

1. Peter Gathercole Silver badge

Re: Beat 10GHz with this one simple trick

Ah, The ebay clock calculation for laptops! 6 cores running at 2.5GHz must mean it's a 15GHz processor.

I also saw one tablet seller including the clock rate of the GPU in an ARM SoC the calculation.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"I've already got a 15GHz clock rate here in my home. You can too: just sum all your devices."

I assume yout are one of the sort of people who (?) 15 years ago would advertise "4.8GHz AMD processors" on the basis that the AMD 3800X4 ran at 1.2GHz and had 4 cores .... or oerhaps you were the hapless MIPS salesdroid who visited the company where I worked 20-ish years ago and said that as their core had a Dhrystone rate of 1.4 then the new multithreaded core would have a rating of 2.8 .... don;t think he'd tried this on with an audience of processor architects before but at least before he left he'd learned how multithreading works in real life.

1. jonathan keith

How dare you traduce my good name by suggesting that I might ever work in *advertising*!

3. JeffyPoooh
        Pint

JK suggested that he has "...a 15GHz clock rate here in my home..." by summing all his devices.

The phone I'm holding has a Qualcomm Snapdragon 625 with 8-cores at up to 2016 MHz.

For those playing along at home, that's...

16+ GHz.

One phone.

LOL

2. Efer Brick
      Joke

Chilly willy?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

...and snap off the balls for easy storage and lower wind resistance.

How did we get from math to NFL?

4. Blockchain commentard

So it's been cracked and someone else is now going to crack it in 61 days. What's the point? We get to see the prize in a fortnight.

1. Graham Dawson Silver badge

Some people collect stamps, some people climb mountains, some people optimise algorithmic solutions to mathematical puzzles.

1. Will Godfrey Silver badge
        Unhappy

and some people just want to steal the limelight from those more deserving. How is a team of professionals with FPGA development capability any kind of match for a lone amateur working with available equipment?

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. redpawn

That's about my limit unless traveling down hill.

2. Anonymous Coward Silver badge
            Boffin

Is that Usain's absolute maximum speed (ie rolling start, instantaneous speed measurement) or his average over a set distance (from a standing start or moving)?

His 100m from a standing start averages a smidge over 22mph, so his instantaneous maximum speed is probably >30mph... I have cycled faster than that, but it doesn't happen often.

Still not sure what the relevance is though.

1. jmch Silver badge

Google is your friend...

"The record was 44.72km/h (27.8 mph), measured between meter 60 and meter 80 of the 100 meters sprint of the World Championships in Berlin on 16 August 2009 by Usain Bolt. (Bolt's average speed over the course of this race was 37.58 km/h or 23.35 mph.)"

Not over 30 mph but still outrageously fast, and most definitely faster than I could cycle.

In short, building custom hardware and software to optimise the problem-solving is in itself a remarkable achievement, but certainly not as remarkable as a guy doing it on his home PC.

1. bpfh

Or...

Using the speed of sheep in a vacuum, according to the El Reg Weights and Measures Soviet:

- Usain Bolt average: 0.00017%

- Usain bolt vMax: 0.000207%

Maybe would have been faster if chased by a Welshman in wellies?

2. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

Google WAS your friend.

3. FrogsAndChips Silver badge

European or African Usain Bolt?

1. Cuddles

Presumably some kind of spherical Usain Bolt in a vacuum.

1. cortland

Wrong turn

A spherical Bolt breaks the thread.

2. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

.. and laden or unladen?

Yes, thank you, I needed Monty Python today.

:)

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

"I needed Monty Python today."

I'm seeing John Cleese live *tonight*.

2. oiseau
          Thumb Up

How is a team of professionals with FPGA development capability any kind of match for a lone amateur working with available equipment?

How?

Simple: it is not.

This guy (self taught at that!) is evidently brilliant.

Kudos to him.

O.

1. Adrian 4

With respect to the guy who solved it, it wasn't that hard. The method of solution was even published.

He just had the nous to try it, which is worth every bit of cleverness.

The problem was with Rivest's estimate. Now he's supposed to be a clever bloke, but apparently a bit out of date.

3. Dr. Mouse

"How is a team of professionals with FPGA development capability any kind of match for a lone amateur working with available equipment?"

Conversely, how is a guy who wrote a simple bit of code and left it running for a few years any kind of match for a team who put effort into designing a custom, efficient method of calculating this in a much shorter timeframe?

That said, while both approaches have merit and kudos to him for solving it, the key point to take away from this is that cryptography needs to keep up with technology. The fact that this was predicted to take decaddes but was solved in 3.5 years on standard hardware is an indication that we can't just rely on "This is secure enough, it'd take years to crack it!"

1. JJKing
            Black Helicopters

The end days of encryption are fast approaching IMO.

I remember when WEP came out and it took 2 hours to crack a 40 bit key. They then announced it would take 1,000 years to crack a 42 bit key with the then available 1996 hardware. Fast forward only a few years and it was taking a mere 2 minutes.

was solved in 3.5 years on standard hardware is an indication that we can't just rely on "This is secure enough, it'd take years to crack it!"

Dr. Mouse, I can only whole heartedly agree. I can only add, what happens when Quantum computers are commonly available. Nothing will be safe.

1. LucreLout

Re: The end days of encryption are fast approaching IMO.

I can only add, what happens when Quantum computers are commonly available. Nothing will be safe.

We'll just have to use a vast series of one time pads. Key management and security might need a bit of time & attention though.....

2. vtcodger Silver badge

I can only add, what happens when Quantum computers are commonly available. Nothing will be safe.

My very vague understanding is that quantum computers if we're ever able to build them should be very good at "This safe has 356,245,896 possible combinations. You need to open it or bad things will happen ... to you." type problems. But this is more of a "Go to Shinjuku 3-chome, building 15 in Tokyo, Japan and buy a drink for the blind begger who will give you your next clue" type problem. I don't think Shor's algorithm helps with those.

However, the second part of your observation seems to almost certainly correct. As computational capabilities improve, a lot of once "safely encrypted" stuff is going to become readable. And some folks who have overlooked that aspect of reality are to probably going find it quite inconvenient.

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

That's where the digital/signals packrat philosophy of the NSA is going to really pay off.

1. Anonymous Coward
                  Anonymous Coward

Indeed. That is why their hoarding mentality exists in the first place. They know at some point what is currently opaque will become transparent and with it some inconvenient truths.

3. Tom 7

It may only take two minutes to crack - in theory, The thing is to know you have cracked it and just because you solved some maths doesnt mean you solved the right maths, Quantum computers can get the right answer but at the same time they can get a near infinite number of not right answers that you can only prove they were wrong (or right) if you have the original to compare with, We are at the stage where even medium end GPU can parse a Shakespeare play from white noise in an afternoon!

4. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Good to know the knee-jerk commentators are still, well, jerks.

As a few seconds' research would have shown you folks,1 the Peffers team is not simply a Supranational effort. It's the Cryptophage consortium, which includes researchers from other organizations, including academia and the Ethereum Foundation.

They're taking an approach that is very different from Fabrot's, so it would be worthwhile even if they were "competing" with him. Which they aren't. As far as I know, the Cryptophage team didn't even know Fabrot was working on the problem before he announced his results.

And what Cryptophage is doing is important because there are a number of applications for VDFs as cryptographic primitives, so it's very useful to get real-world results for solving examples of this VDF. Plus they'll have successfully shown a fast ASIC implementation of Öztürk's algorithm.

All of this is good work, which does not, and is not intended to, diminish Fabrot's. Not everything is a fucking contest.2

1Though it would have been nice if Katyanna had provided a relevant link in the article.

2Being snarky and insulting in the Reg forums of course is a contest.

5. JeffyPoooh
          Pint

"...with FPGA development capability..."

Although personally I can't be bothered, FPGA development these days is very much within the reach of amateurs.

Not even just 'dedicated' amateurs.

6. Charlie Clark Silver badge

The two are equally deserving because they demonstrate that the initial assumption was flawed. I may have missed it but it looks both solutions are using brute force. Even without someone discovering a mathematical shortcut, always a possibility, this suggests that with a slightly bigger hardware budget (like that of the NSA) the problem could be solved even faster.

1. Havin_it

The two are equally deserving because they demonstrate that the initial assumption was flawed.

If you want to put it that way. It was an educated projection of the advance of processing performance over three-and-a-half decades, which was always going to be a tall order since the kind of innovations that drive such advances are by definition not yet conceived of, and might even follow a complete paradigm-shift (quantum computing being an arguable example).

Even without someone discovering a mathematical shortcut, always a possibility,

Rivest assumed not, and that assumption has not yet been shown to be flawed.

with a slightly bigger hardware budget (like that of the NSA) the problem could be solved even faster.

Nope. The problem cannot be parallelised, so the performance of a single task is the bottleneck. So the only way an infinite sack of cash can help is by paying people lots of money to invent more efficient

hardware (which is no guarantee of results).

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

I never suggested parallelisation.

If someone can pay for FPGAs then the NSA can pay for more and better ones and even get silicon etched. Once you have a system that can run "fast enough", this can be used to verify other attempts and shortcuts. IIRC this is what happened as soon as a proof of concept for hacking GSM encryption was developed.

2. Zippy´s Sausage Factory

The point is that it will look really really good on the job application for the NSA, GCHQ or some shady spyware-as-a-service VC funded startup...

3. simonatsn

Hi,

I'm part of the Supranational team. In fact the timing is purely coincidental and we had no knowledge of Bernard's efforts.

We started working on the puzzle earlier this year because it relates to our work around Verifiable Delay Functions for blockchains. As Ron Rivest says in this Wired story, the timing is "an astonishing coincidence" after 20 years (https://www.wired.com/story/a-programmer-solved-a-20-year-old-forgotten-crypto-puzzle/)

If you're interested you can learn more about our work here: http://www.cryptophage.com/

Kudos to Bernard for his patience over the years to keep it running an get to a solution!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Very Refreshing

Very refreshing to see a generous and respectful attitude towards a rival-of-sorts.

2. jasonbrown1965

Kudos also to his UPS!

Or is power *that* reliable in Belgium?

1. Nutria

You'd hope that he added checkpoints into his code to facilitate restarts.

3. Tom 7

Kudos to Bernard for his patience over the years to keep it running an get to a solution!

But it do wonder if he lives in the country with a Belgium Telecom broadband connection and had to do something with his spare CPU!

4. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I have a question about the puzzle

I'm pretty sure that when Ron Rivest created the puzzle he didn't perform "[a]pproximately 80 trillion modular squaring operations": how else could he "hide" the congratulatory phrase if not knowing the final result?

My question: is there an easy way to explain a lay person how he created the puzzle?

Thanks,

Massimo

4. BinkyTheMagicPaperclip Silver badge

The point is that crypto is not as secure as believed, and this needs to be taken account of.

3.5 years (probably) isn't going to frighten anyone, sixty odd days is plausibly within the range where the decrypted information is still useful.

1. veti Silver badge

Once the method is understood, speeding it up becomes trivial. If it can be done in 3.5 years now, it'll be possible in 3.5 hours within a decade.

2. Marcus Fil

Wrong

"3.5 years (probably) isn't going to frighten anyone, sixty odd days is plausibly within the range where the decrypted information is still useful."

All intelligence is perishable, but things still get put away under the '100 Year Rule' and similar; 3.5 years might still be an embarasingly short interval in respect of some secrets.

5. John G Imrie
    Coat

Three and a half years

Is this some trial run for Deep Thought.

Mine's the one with the book with Don't Panic written on the cover.

1. The Oncoming Scorn Silver badge
      Boffin

Re: Three and a half years

Did it get as far as deducing the existence of rice pudding and income tax before anyone managed to switch it off though?

My thoughts however took a different literal bent.

“It is the brain, the little gray cells on which one must rely. One must seek the truth within--not without." ~ Poirot”

1. bpfh
        Trollface

“It is the brain, the little gray cells on which one must rely. One must seek the truth within--not without." ~ Poirot”

Yep. Change comes from within. Except from a vending machine.

2. Anonymous Coward Silver badge
      Holmes

Still trying to work out how to make a cup of tea.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

But just imagine if Deep Thought announced it would take 7 million years to to calculate the answer to life, the universe and everything only for someone to work it out on a PC in 3 and a half year ....to quote Zaphod that would would be "belgian man, belgian!"

6. Avatar of They
    Pint

Well done.

That being said - I don't understand the challenge, or the puzzle, or the solution or the maths formula.

I can't be the only one.

1. oiseau
      Facepalm

Re: Well done.

I can't be the only one.

No ...

You're not.

Trying to understand it reminded me of the reason for my low CGE maths score.

O.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It all comes down to: "will this let me score with chicks"?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

There are definitely some chicks out there who would be totally turned on by someone doing this.

Humanity is wonderfully diverse, there's a matching pair (or perhaps more) of people for any particular 'kink' (for want of a better word). The hard part is the probability of those two people finding themselves in the same place at the same time, so that they can actually meet...

1. Havin_it

Humanity is wonderfully diverse, there's a matching pair (or perhaps more) of people for any particular 'kink'

These statements are in opposition to each other. The greater the diversity, the lower the chance of every kink occurring twice.

/forever alone in my crab salad paragliding kidney-massage fetish :(

2. Someone Else Silver badge
        Devil

It all comes down to: "will this let me score with chicks"?

Read the decrypted answer and see!

7. Alan Sharkey

It wasn't running Windows then

three and a half years continuously? Not a Windows PC then.....

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: It wasn't running Windows then

Ah, DESQview. From the days before we took multitasking for granted. I can recall running DoubleDOS and somehow managing to get things working in only 240K of RAM (and no TSRs because they ate all the HIMEM space).

At least amplifiers with valves and vinyl are back in fashion - makes me feel less old :)

1. Dave559 Silver badge

"the days before we took multitasking for granted", you say?

«coughs»

"Only Amiga makes it possible!" :-D

2. werdsmith Silver badge

Guitar amps with valves never went out of fashion.

1. Someone Else Silver badge

Guitar amps with valves never went out of fashion.

Bass guitar amps, on the other hand....

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Bass guitar amps

It wasn't so much that valve based bass guitar amps went out of fashion, it was more that their wieght eventually killed of all those who tried to carry them.

To all those who still the hear the word "Ampeg" in their dreams of that time in ITU, I raise my glass to you.

1. Someone Else Silver badge

Re: Bass guitar amps

Yes, I hear "Ampeg" occasionally. but I hear "Acoustic 360/370" much more frequently, and much louder (both in my dreams, and live.)

3. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Since the late '70's, I always required multitasking, the preemptive kind no less. That's why an Amiga 1000 was my first new "personal computer." The work PC's drove me nuts. I multitask like crazy, my machines damned well better, too.

2. DJV Silver badge
      FAIL

Windows 95/98 could run for at least 49.7 days without crashing if you didn't give it anything to do. Of course, attempting to get the PC to do anything useful was often a recipe for a blue screen of death long before the 49.7 days were up!

1. vtcodger Silver badge

And the underlying OS for Windows 9 -- MSDOS -- really would run for years. We once ran across a PC that had been used for some sort of lab measurement. When the testing was completed, "they" apparently unplugged the sensor, turned off the monitor, and pushed the PC -- still running -- back into a corner. When someone finally looked at it, it had filled up the hard drive with specious "data", but continued to try to write more. Based on the "data" collection, it had been running for at least 18 months, but it could have been there substantially longer.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"the underlying OS for Windows 9 -- MSDOS -- really would run for years"

Well yes, a Commodore 64 "OS" would run for years as well, in both cases that's because pretty much the only thing the "OS" does is update the real time clock on an interrupt. I personally learned to expect a bit more from an OS during the mid-80s.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I run semiconductor manufacturing equipment that runs JDOS 6.2 which was installed in 1996. They fail every year or so. A simple reboot and they are back in operation.

1. Paul Crawford Silver badge

We ran DOS software under dosemu/MSDOS 6.22 and it never seemed to crash. OK the host machine would be rebooted occasionally and the dosemu instance restarted occasionally, but we never saw an "OS crash" with uptimes of the order of 600 days.

Having said that, if you don't poll for time at least once per day by some program/system action then the DOS date gets stuck as the time-of-day counter simply sets a midnight flag, and is not actually incrementing the date counter...

8. defiler

GPUs?

Is this not the sort of task which can be massively parallelised on a GPU? I'll confess, the algorithm went over my head, so there is perhaps some reason there, or maybe the FP precision isn't up to it...

Edit:

Hah - I went back to re-check the article and found this:

The mathematical enigma is also designed in a way that prevents the use of parallel computing to brute force the solution, since it’s impossible to compute it quickly without knowing the factorization of n.

Carry on, everyone. I'm just being more ignorant than normal.

1. jmch Silver badge

Re: GPUs?

"I'll confess, the algorithm went over my head..."

me too, but I gather that each step in the cycle needs a value from the previous step and thus cannot be parallelized. And each step is itself a discrete computation so you can't parallelise the individual steps.

That's what I understood, at least

2. MonkeyCee

My student take on it is that you need to factorise a very large number that is a particular form, and the "efficient" solution is to build that from the bottom up, rather than top down.

As for Moore's law, isn't it still roughly true? Modern CPUs have multiple cores and a GPU in the same package, so while 10Ghz might be off, 4x 2.5Ghz plus a GPU is about right in terms of miniaturisation.

Anyone here get much benefit from higher clocks? I ran my i7 at 4.5Ghz, and stepped it down to 3.9 and didn't notice the difference for anything in real world terms. Disk and GPU still are the bottlenecks.

1. SPiT

This specific computation is something that would benefit massively from pure clock speed. In normal computing your perceived speed is largely dominated by memory access and since increasing CPU clock doesn't improve memory access you don't see much difference. In this case the problem easily fits withing typical level 1 cache and therefore becomes core clock speed limited instead.

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"Anyone here get much benefit from higher clocks? I ran my i7 at 4.5Ghz, and stepped it down to 3.9 and didn't notice the difference for anything in real world terms."

Overclocking is rarely noticeable for most general purposes because the increment isn't really all that much as well as the other bottlenecks you mention. When the CPU is already in the multi-GHz range a 5-10% overclock is barely noticeable. Back when CPU speeds were in the MHz range, a 5-10% overclock was often very noticeable to the user, even just in recalculating a large spreadsheet.

I think the most noticeable in my experience was so far back in the day that hard drives still used interleaving because the PC couldn't process a sector read in time to get the next following, so sector 2 would be 3 or 4 sectors after sector one. A faster CPU could process the sector read more quickly and be ready for the next more quickly. You could low level format with different interleave settings and benchmark it for optimum value or you could get something like SpinRight which would automate the process. This could massively improve disk throughput by matching it to the CPU clock speed.

1. AIBailey

Back when CPU speeds were in the MHz range, a 5-10% overclock was often very noticeable to the user, even just in recalculating a large spreadsheet.

...and a 50% overclock was phenomenal. Back when you could buy the Intel Celeron that was meant to run at 300MHz on a 66MHz clock but could quite happily run at 450MHz on a 100MHz clock instead.

I can't remember the actual costs involved, but it was certainly a way to get performance that was close to the top-of-the-line Pentium II's of the time for a fraction of the costs.

1. Simon Harris

Back in the day my 1MHz 6502 was quite happy being overclocked to 2MHz. That was a very noticeable improvement!

Sadly, some of the RAM was only rated with a 650ns cycle time and couldn't quite keep up - I ended up putting it at the bottom of the bit-mapped screen address space so it was only needed in the highest resolution graphics modes, and moved all the 450ns RAM I had to where the CPU was going to be accessing it most. Back then the RAM was a pile of 2114s and more expensive than my schoolboy pockets could afford to upgrade it all to the correct speed.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

"Back in the day my 1MHz 6502 was quite happy being overclocked to 2MHz. That was a very noticeable improvement!"

A few years after that I bought a new PC motherboard with a Pentium 120MHz processor on it (it was the first processor I bought that needed a cooling fan .... though it was tiny!) and reading through the mboard manual I saw there was a jumper to select between 30MHz and 33MHz front side bus, thinking it must be better to have a faster bus (especially as ISA was spec-ed to be 33MHz) and turned the PC on .... and was amazed (at the time - I clearly know why now) that the BIOS announced I had a 133MHz Pentium!

2. defiler

That was the original Celeron. It was basically a PIII on slot1 with the cache chips removed, and since the cache was the most speed-sensitive part of the whole package you could drop it into a 440BX board instead of LX, and get your 100MHz FSB instead of 66MHz.

Mine was 266MHz boosted to 400.

I also went to overclockers.co.uk and bought one of their "specially binned" Coppermine PIIIs. 650MHz, I think, running at 850MHz. Needed a beast of a cooler on air, though. And I wonder why my ears are buggered now...

1. AIBailey

Just done some more reading. Mine would have been a Celeron 300A - it did include cache (128KB compared to the 512KB of the equivalent P II), and I had the PPGA version in a slot1 adaptor board.

Having the cache on-die made up a lot of the performance deficit against a PII's of the time.

1. defiler

Oh? You were doing well then! The Celeron As didn't overclock anywhere near as consistently as the cacheless jobs (which had the on-die L1 cache but no L2).

Basically the originals were duff parts if you couldn't blast them to 400MHz. Ran that thing for years as my home server. It's still in the attic, unused. Last upgrade was to a 1400MHz Tualatin on a slot1 adapter. Couldn't overclock that one. :)

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I don't bother for anything less than 20-25%+. Now, the machine next to me is over-clocked +33% on the CPU, RAM, and FSB but that's seriously water cooled all over the place. That's the host for my Tesla GPGPU.

[I even went into the Northbridge and Southbridge to tweek the settings there with extensive testing to find the right values. I'll never do that again. 'Twas still fun, though.]

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You can do arbitrary precision multiplication with the FFT, and you can fly through the FFT on a GPU. Not sure if that's as good for extremely big numbers as it is for extremely small ones, so, maybe? But now probably nobody cares :/

9. cosymart
    Angel

Ronald Rivest - Age

Ronald Rivest was very optimistic that he would still be in the land of the living to open the box in 2033 given that he would be 86. Ok he is in the USA but the current life expectancy is only 79.38years.

1. Stork Silver badge

Re: Ronald Rivest - Age

Not really. I think 86 is well within the normal for his socio-economic group when he was already past 30

1. DJ Smiley

What if they open it, and it says 'Gottacha! I knew it'd be done by 2019. You didn't vote Trump did you?' Maybe he knows he'd never need to live to 89...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "Ok he is in the USA but the current life expectancy is only 79.38years."

I always thought life expectancy in the US was expressed as:

LifeExp = (InsuranceCover + FinancialWealth) ⊕ (79.38 + rand(Luck))

3. jmch Silver badge

"in the USA but the current life expectancy is only 79.38years."

Not sure where that's from but the usually quoted "Life expectancy" without any additional qualifier usually means "Life expectancy at birth". That's (a) a national average - for particular groups women would be more than men, rich people more than poor etc. (b) if you exclude the people who die at an early age, the average for the rest of the group rises, so the longer you have already lived, the higher your life expectancy*. Based on your numbers he's currently 72, meaning he's got quite good odds of making it to 2033:

https://www.ssa.gov/oact/STATS/table4c6.html

*incidentally, does that mean that for the single oldest person in the world, your life expectancy is exactly the same as your age?

1. Loyal Commenter Silver badge
        Headmaster

Based on your numbers he's currently 72

He'll be 72 in 5 days, if we're being pedantic.

4. RM Myers

My father lived to be 96, with a pig vein in his chest for the last 30 years, and my mother lived to be 102 1/2. They were hardly rich - I doubt they ever made more than $20K a year between the two of them. So yes, 86 is highly obtainable. When we were researching assisted living accommodations for my mother when she had just turned 102, we visited one facility where she would have been the 4th oldest resident, and they had fewer than 100 residents.

1. anonymous boring coward Silver badge

Nice genes, if you can get 'em!

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

But thats usually depressed by - young men dying from their own hands, worksite deaths, car crashes, bike crashes, drug overdoses, alcohol poisoning etc.

My grandad will be 84 in a few weeks and he worked in construction when asbestos was the order of the day so somehow avoided asbestosis, his neighbour across the road is 89 this year and for a man his age spry still also and he was a bricklayer for years, would be more spry if the nurses in ICU had moved his position so he didn't end up with pressure sores that cost him the tissue on his heels (then again they thought the bowel infection was going to finish him but he pulled though)

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So, the real question is now ..

.. did our crafty Belgian just rip a giant hole in the cryptographic protection of our data by means of creating a shortcut, or are we still moderately OK feeding websites our credit card numbers so THEY leak them and not us?

I'm not quite awake today (4:00am finish, 9:00 restart and not enough coffee), but that's what I ende up wondering about. Kudos for the achievement, but does this imply side effects?

1. Alien8n

Re: So, the real question is now ..

Reading it I don't think so, but it does raise the possibility that standard encryption may be solvable quicker than currently believed if one can work out the underlying mathematics used and then break that down into equivalent chunks. I'm reminded of the tale of the teacher who gave his students a puzzle to keep them quiet during one maths class and one bright spark answered it in under a minute...

1+2+3+4+5+...+98+99+100

which can be summarised by (1+n)*(n/2)

1. FrogsAndChips Silver badge

Legend has it the bright spark was an 8-year old Gauss.

2. mj.jam

No, this was a brute force attack. Repeatedly square a number, for 3.5 years.

1. defiler
        Trollface

Maybe he used a lookup table?

1. Havin_it

Maybe he got Ron Rivest in a dark room with a $5 pipe wrench?

11. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

And there's more.

"He used a bog standard PC with an Intel Core i7-6700 processor, and took about three and a half years to finally complete over 79 trillion calculations."

From this statement alone, I can categorically state he wasn't running Windows.

1. hmv

Re: And there's more.

No you can't.

If you're performing a calculation that takes that long, you take the care to ensure that the calculation is checkpointed so that when the inevitable reboot happens (because of power, maintenance, etc.) you don't lose the current state. Heck, IRIX had a tool to do it all for you - cpr.

At least you do take the care for the second time :)

(And I'm not a fan of Windows either, but I do know people who run calculations that run for multiple weeks)

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Kudos to him for keeping it running for 3.5y

When one does this sort of stuff, one usually writes out intermediate results (in case of component failure or whatnot) to allow restart from checkpoint. Whether he did so or not, kudos to him for system stability and as well as programming chops.

13. andy 103
    Boffin

relaunch the computation?

"It requires some discipline to relaunch the computation"

Without seeing the source code how is it storing previously calculated values which would make this achievable? Equally how is it feeding these back into the program to make it work in the event of relaunching it?

To say he did this in "a few lines" of code sounds a bit suspicious.

You would have to - at the very least - write the previously calculated values to a file (not memory in case of a crash, power failure, etc). When it relaunched it would need to work out where it stopped and then use the appropriate data to start off from that point. That in itself is pretty complex.

How do you do all of that, not to mention write the actual calculation part, in "a few lines" of C or indeed any programming language?

1. Charles 9

Re: relaunch the computation?

Doesn't sound that hard to me. At periodic intervals (say, after each millionth instance), open a temp file, write the instance and the current result. If it's ever restarted, re-open the file, re-read the instance saved and the result at that point, allowing you to resume. Two rather basic routines, actually. And if the computer crashes or blacks out, the maximum loss, provided the temp file is kept healthy, is shy of a million instances which in a task requiring more than million times such would be at worst a mild headache.

1. arctic_haze

Exactly. This is how you do this kind of long computations. You save in intervals as rare as you can afford to lose, if something goes wrong. Something on the time scale of an hour.

2. Nick Gisburne
      Happy

"How do you do all of that, not to mention write the actual calculation part, in "a few lines" of C or indeed any programming language?"

A few lines of C is anything less than a thousand

1. Paul Shirley

A few lines of calls to the GNU Multiple Precision Arithmetic Library will run an awful lot of ops for very little typing...

On a modern OS you can probably just issue async transactional writes to dump incremental results, with negligible effect on performance. Rotating the dump files might be the bulk of the code. At startup ask the OS for the last successful transaction and do no other checking than whether it exists, perhaps throw in a cheap checksum.

Can't even see why restarting the calc would be a chore, just let it autostart with the PC.

14. Drone Pilot

When people like this exist...

It makes me realise my 20 year contribution to IT is akin to changing the toner in grandma's printer. :(

Well done!

1. Fred Flintstone Gold badge

Re: When people like this exist...

Look at it positively - at least you have made a grandma using a laser printer, even to a degree that it requires refilling :)

1. Tom 7

That's only cos Grandma worked out you could make fuel-air bombs from the toner!

2. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

Careful now, you do know you're now going to get the blame the next time the paper jams...

15. DontFeedTheTrolls
    Coat

Improbable

Maybe all it really needed was a really hot cup of tea

16. Someone Else Silver badge

Fabrot needs to run and hide!

The NSA, CIA, and any number of other TLAs will be after is already after his ass. That could be extra problematic, as he's a furriner to boot.

17. Nick Gisburne

No prizes for second place

"On course to crack the puzzle in just 61 days". File that under 'too late, it's been done', although presumably the new team's methods will be useful for applying to other problems.

18. Nano nano

At home

Just think of the Seti@Home units !!

19. TheProf
    Joke

The answer is 42

What was the question again?

20. anonymous boring coward Silver badge

Bet he didn't run in under Windows for 3.5 years...

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Faith in the future

Given 50% of the people in here are now Millennials, I'm hugely encouraged by the quality and tone of the debate. Chess, Heavy Metal (not 'arf), Mathematics and Valves (see tubes). The world is clearly laughing its way to destruction and we're going to be there with a Belgian fruit ale to watch the fireworks and throw in some sarcastic comments of which Mr Adams would most surely approve.

Well done everyone, you're all doing very well.

Young Mr Grace.

22. the Kris

A self-taught Belgian bloke? Unlike a self-taught mechanic, becoming a Belgian bloke requires being born in Belgium.

1. Ken Shabby
      Headmaster

I was thinking that too, what do I have to do to teach myself to become a Belgian?

23. Borg.King
    Facepalm

I would have solved it tomorrow.

3.496 years into the same process. . . . .

24. BillyBerkshire

I believe you.

25. JoMe

There's a reason self-taught people succeed

Where formally taught do not. And that is because they don't know something is impossible and don't accept it to be. We have so many limitations on us because 'someone' in 'authority' said it was impossible.

1. Charles 9

Re: There's a reason self-taught people succeed

There's SAYING it's impossible and then there's PROVING it's impossible...

26. onebignerd

Human arrogance

Time to stop with the terms unhackable, unsinkable, impenetrable, hack/hacker proof...etc. Even using the term secure is dubious.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like