back to article Everything's just fine at Google's mothership: $1.7bn EU fine, slower growth take their toll

Google parent Alphabet reported $36.34bn in revenue and $9.50 earnings per share on Monday for its Q1 2019 quarter, rather less than investors had anticipated. Analysts expected something more like $37.34bn in sales, and $10.58 per share. The shortfall drove Alphabet's stock down about seven per cent in after-hours trading, …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just the warm up show

The big one will be when APPL releases its results. I think that they'll miss the lower end of the ANAL(ists) guesses by quite a wide margin.

The stock will tank (down by more than 10%) and a plethora of class action lawsuits will follow.

Their stock has been extra heavily shorted this past week.

No one here should be crying over any of the results from the US Tech giants...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Just the warm up show

Hope springs eternal among Apple haters.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Just the warm up show

All those shorts are getting slammed in after hours trading today...hopefully you were just a loudmouth and didn't actually invest on your thesis...

2. STOP_FORTH
    Trollface

Can I help in any way?

I have had a look down the back of the sofa, only found fluff and crumbs. This is very worrying news.

3. RyokuMas
    Facepalm

"Without the fine, EPS would have been $11.90, and profit would have been down 11 per cent or about a billion dollars, year-on-year."

Clearly the fine wasn't big enough then.

4. Pascal Monett Silver badge

That is called swimming in money

$36.34bn in three months is $12.11bn per month and that makes out to $403.77mn per day, or the piddling sum of $280,401 per minute.

I think Alphabet will survive this setback.

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Re: That is called swimming in money

They certainly ain't short of a bob or two. But what this shows, yet again, is that Google is sitll all about the adverts. They've invested/wasted an awful lot of billions into various businesses and have barely a bean to show for it.

Compare this to Amazon, who have all the money they make from selling stuff online, but also have huge revenues from their cloud stuff and money from their TV and various other ventures. They've used their profits to diversify, while Google have so far made a partial success in monetising Android, and not much else.

In contrast Google have basically wasted tens of billions of their profits in pet projects, to little gain. At least so far. Waymo could be the super-duper bet that pays for all, though I don't personally believe it.

1. teknopaul

Not much they can do to increase advertising revenue now that be first page of google results is 100% paid content.

Wall street always expect growth. What if 30% of all digital marketing is the max you can cream from search? Looks like google aren't much good at anything else.

2. JLV

Pretty common. Having 1 or 2 breakthrough star products with a very large footprint does not automatically make you capable of re-delivering in totally unrelated markets, it just means you have lots of $ to throw at it and the insecurity to keep on financing duds or distracting sideshows.

Just ask MS, though admittedly Azure is finally shaping up to be a decent pillar next to Windows and Office. 30 yrs of Zunes, Silverlight, Nokias...

In a way, proper market discipline would be to sit back and return money to your shareholders.

3. a_yank_lurker

Also, Amazon's original business (retail) is a notoriously low margin business. So Amazon grew up in a low margin business and tightening margins in the Cloud, etc. scare them less. Others are not used to retail type margins will have more difficulty adjusting as the markets mature. Web advertising, like all advertising will saturate as the growth of users slows and each user only has so much time to spend online.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like