back to article It's springtime for Springtown as Seagate rains nearly £50m on Northern Ireland plant

Seagate is to help pump £57.4m ($74m) into its plant at Springtown in Derry, Northern Ireland, to get its next-gen disk heads dealing with smaller bits. The plant manufactures 200mm thin-film wafers from which the recording heads are made. The cash – £47.4m ($61m) from Seagate and £9.95m ($12.8m) from Invest Northern Ireland …

1. Semtex451
    Pint

See, Brexit - Pah

(Have to get the trolling in early, the pub is calling me)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It's not entirely unlikely that Northern Ireland will join the Republic of Ireland (and hence remain in the EU) if Brex-shit actually happens, you realise?

(Also, NI substantially voted to Remain.)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@Also, NI substantially voted to Remain

and yet their politicians are fighting to leave hard, almost as though they have their own agenda.

NI before brexit was a cheap place for foreign companies to have a foot hold in Europe and the UK, after brexit my guess is that the same companies will just move their base and expertese to somewhere that still is a benefit to them, leaving NI with what exactly?

2. Petergwilson

Totally unlikely if you had any idea what you were talking about. Or maybe you didn't realise what 30 years of troubles were about.

2. Paul Crawford Silver badge

Good to see a success story about NI for a change.

3. Pascal Monett Silver badge

One thing is for sure

Storage technology is not getting simpler.

Soon, you'll have to be a full-blown boffin just to take a course in designing new storage solutions.

1. Semtex451
      Windows

Re: One thing is for sure

Hate to break it to you Pascal but you are a very full blown boffin already

4. TRT Silver badge

Surface plasmon polaritons?

I thought that sounded like something they made up for ST:TNG, along with Tetrion emissions.

5. Timbo

How big are they?

"The plant manufactures 200mm thin-film wafers from which the recording heads are made."

200 mm ?? So about 8 inches? Those are mighty big recording heads - how big are the platters ??

1. sbt

Re: How big are they?

Not a typo. The wafers are that big. Many thousands of heads will be fabbed on each wafer before being split off for attachment to the read arms in the drives.

6. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Another WTF Why in God's name in Derry/Londonderry Moment?

What's the name of the game, El Reg? Déjà vu?

It's springtime for Springtown as Seagate rains nearly £50m on Northern Ireland plant Developing nanophotonic disk read-write heads ... By Chris Mellor 26 Apr 2019 at 14:03?

..... or ......

Seagate pumps £60m into Springtown plant Next-gen read/write heads by Chris Mellor Jan 2010 at 11:42?

Both current and next-gen read/write heads would like to know.

7. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

It sounds like better value for money than the NI government poured into DeLorean or the hifi company whose name escapes me for the moment.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

the hifi company whose name escapes me for the moment. Strathearn. Suspected as having a leakage problem, losing CMOS parts that were used in IEDs.

2. Paul Crawford Silver badge

https://zstereo.co.uk/2013/11/07/strathearn-sma2/

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like