back to article MySQL creator kicks MySQL 5.1 team in the teeth

MySQL creator Michael “Monty” Widenius has gone on a noisy rant about last week’s release of MySQL 5.1 because Sun Microsystems has unleashed the database even though it still contains “fatal bugs”. Sun made the popular open source db generally available (GA) last Thursday following months of development. By Saturday Monty was …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Jodo Kast
    Thumb Down

We don't want a beta version of MySQL

The excuses coming from Sun re: a beta version released as "GA" are sad and pathetic.

I for one require a database without 'issues'.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

With other Sun news in mind...

Like many Sun employees, the MySQL team are probably more concerned with keeping their jobs than turning out bug-free code.

3. Chris

Pot, kettle, black.

That's rich coming from Monty, seeing as how he was responsible for bugs that corrupted data (except he had the cheek to call them features more often than not):

http://sql-info.de/mysql/gotchas.html

4. John Latham

@Jodo Kast

I'd wager that we'll have flying cars piloted by robot-brained monkey butlers and sharks with frikkin' laser beams long before software "without issues".

I like your optimism though.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

@Jodo Kast

"I for one require a database without 'issues'."

Then what on earth are you using MySQL for? It's always had 'issues', in much the same way that an adolescent girl does.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

@Ex-IT

"the MySQL team are probably more concerned with keeping their jobs than turning out bug-free code"

Bit of a paradox really, when you think that "turning out bug-free code" should be one of the best ways to keep your job. True though.

7. Name
    Coat

$1bn - seriously?

I doubt this was based on the conservative 3 x profits + 'real' assets - what is wrong with the idiots in finance these days - oh wait...

8. Mr B
    Go

Down to monies

Sun makes money from support ... so export more of this.

9. Matt Bryant Silver badge
    Happy

Wating for Sunshine....

What, no Sunshiners posting links to unknown bloggers refuting any idea that Sun could even think of releasing a buggy bit of software? No squealing that anyone questioning The Great Jonathan's Legendary MySQL just must be a working for a competitor? Maybe they they're all too busy reading through their P45s....

10. Daniel B.

Re: Pot, Kettle, Black.

Don't forget this is "we don't need no steeeeeking transactions" Monty we're talking about. The reason I have to stick with InnoDB instead of MyISAM tables when using MySQL.

Probably the worst case of a SW company promoting a "bug" as a "feature". Sheesh.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It is not as if you need a stable database

life is far more fun, when you cannot be sure the data is going to be stored as intended, or that you will always have access when you need it.

People need to lighten up, generations before us got by without databases, so there is a glitch here and there, the world is not perfect, that is one of the charms :)

For those who just want a database to work, you know the cool kids, there is postgresql, but hey where is the fun in that.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Re: Pot, Kettle, Black.

Chris, Daniel: You're both referring to documents/events that happened 5+ years ago. MySQL (and Monty) have moved on. Perhaps you should, too?

13. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

@Jodo Kast

> I for one require a database without 'issues'.

Ahh, no problem - http://www.postgresql.org/.

There's a nice response to Monty's blog post from one of the PostgreSQL committers at http://blog.hagander.net/archives/128-On-the-topic-of-release-quality.html

14. Mo

Inflicting?

I'm not entirely sure how complaining that it's broke is inflicting a view on users, really?

15. Anonymous Coward
    Go

Twatt Bryant is a HP girly girl

Twatt Bryant works for HP, so don't take what he says serious.

16. Bill
    Flame

Re: Twatt Bryant is a HP girly girl

Twatt... I mean Matt... is just sticking up for his chosen god, HP. He is a HP fanboy, so you can't really blame him for not being very open minded or logical really... He has biases just like anyone else. I'm sure there were actually Irix fanboys at one time or another... I know, I know, comparing Irix to HPUX is an insult to Irix.

Of course he may just work for HP, which would explain his lack of logic and constant inability to think critically.

17. Inachu
    Flame

Is the sun setting?

Does the SUN team even adhere to anything like SIXSIGMA or does the idea of conforming to a streamlined process to root out errors make them think costs will go up?

If they are are Six Sigma certified then they should have their certifications revoked.

This topic is closed for new posts.