back to article Boffins bring home the bacon as AI-powered robo-medic performs heart surgery on pigs

AI-trained autonomous robots have helped surgeons perform heart surgery on live pigs, according to research published in Science Robotics. A team of researchers from Boston Children’s Hospital in USA, Université de Strasbourg in France, and Taipei Veterans General Hospital in Taiwan, have built a robot to perform heart surgery …

1. Neil Barnes Silver badge

So...

what are the ethics on eating your experimental subjects?

Mmm... bacon...

1. JetSetJim
      Pint

Re: So...

> No pigs were harmed

and

> The robotic catheter managed to navigate to the right position 79 times out of the 83 trials carried on five pigs

In the 4 that failed, what was the clinical outcome?

Very interesting, though, and I'm sure a fleshy human would find it hard to have that success rate on a beating heart

1. The Mole

I was more wondering how it is compatible with the statement "They introduced weaknesses into the five porky patients' hearts,". Perhaps stabbing the pigs in the heart* happened before the operation - but that surely is worse than doing it whilst under aneasthetic.

Corresponding numbers for a human surgeon would be interesting.

I'm assuming in the other 4 cases the robot reached some sort of dead end and the human took over?

* OK I'm sure they'd try putting it in a more medical way and perhaps it wasn't quite literally like that..

1. Evil Auditor Silver badge

I'm assuming in the other 4 cases the robot reached some sort of dead end and the human took over?

Yep. They called the butcher.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Facepalm

"No pigs were harmed" but they were all sent on to pig heaven

Call me crazy, but I consider being killed - no matter how nicely - as harm! Not that I have an ethical issue with this, but maybe the proper phrase should be "no pigs were made to suffer"...

2. UKHobo

Sow...

a treatment finished off with a quality oinkment? hogwash

3. BebopWeBop
    Happy

The thin tube has to navigate through the intricate walls of the muscle to reach the aortic annulus, a small squishy ring that acts as an opening to the aortic valve

Ahh making the technical terms accessible to us non mediacs

4. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Kudos to that effort

Well done and congratulations.

That said, I hope they'll have a 100% efficient version before I need it, and I hope even more that I'll never need it.

1. ThatOne Silver badge
      Coat

Re: Kudos to that effort

I'd rather worry about getting eaten after the operation.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The real question...

Does this open up the possibility for self-harvesting, renewable bacon?

Now there's a solution to global warming. Unless global warming could be harnessed for cooking the bacon too...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like