back to article Huawei thanks US for 'raising 5G awareness' by banning telecom kit giant's wares

Huawei top brass took to the stage in Shenzhen this week to insist that everything was fine and dandy in the company's world, despite the shrieking from US lawmakers. In front of an audience of 750, deputy chairman Ken Hu described 2018 as an "eventful" year for the company and thanked the assembled media for "paying so much …

1. mhenriday
    Pint

Poker face ?

The company is therefore putting its faith in the lumbering US judicial system, which Chen described, without a trace of irony, as "fair, just and transparent".
    The next time I hear someone claim that Chinese people have no sense of humour, I shall point to the example of Ms Chen....

Henri

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Re: Poker face ?

Touché, Henri.

2. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

A Partnering Peer Project Leader or Punitive Prisonering Retard in Charge of Changes for the Future?

Surely that's a No-Brainer?

The company [Huawei] is therefore putting its faith in the lumbering US judicial system, which Chen described, without a trace of irony, as "fair, just and transparent".

Oh please, without a trace of irony, you cannot be serious that Huawei and Chen are serious. They surely aint as stupid as Uncle Sam continually proves their systems and products to be whilst losing the most valuable of friends and creating the deadliest of enemies in the process.

Is it any wonder the new smarter disruptive technology migrates naturally eastwards rather than westwards.

1. Sgt_Oddball
      Black Helicopters

Re: A Partnering Peer Project Leader or Punitive Prisonering Retard in Charge of Changes for...

I just read two whole paragraphs from amfm1 and they made perfect sense....

Either there was something in my coffee today or they've finally got to him...

1. Geoffrey W

Re: A Partnering Peer Project Leader or Punitive Prisonering Retard in Charge of Changes for...

It's been rebooted.

2. VikiAi

He was recently defragged.

3. Andre Carneiro

I’m sure the American judicial system can learn LOTS about “fairness, justice and transparency” from the Chinese.

THAT was sarcasm.

1. veti Silver badge

Fair point. Maybe it's just a difference in base expectations.

4. JLV

Far as Canada goes, I suggest my fellow citizens boycott the firm’s consumer goods until such time as China releases several Canadians arrested in retaliation for her Highness’s arrest. And adding a minor Canadian drug dealer to death row as well.

I know they’re spending a fair bit promoting their kit here lately. I say screw them. Yeah, even if Gal Gadot is doing the flogging.

1. Kabukiwookie

What definitely did not help with any discussion regarding releasing these people was your canadian PM acting like Washington's lapdog and destroying any goodwill there was between the Chinese and Canadian governments.

Unlike the US, Canada does not have a hugely oversized military to force others to do their bidding, so it needs to rely on something called 'diplomacy'.

Why don't you write letter to Mr Trudeau and ask him why he threw away this relationship to please the US?

5. Mark 85

All publicity is good publicity

I think Hu subscribes to that belief from his comments.

6. HmmmYes

Hmm,

John Suffolk.

A quick look at the wahwee blurb ...

Worked for some small UK building socities, which blew up in 07.

Then worked for ukgov for 7 years.

Pretty thin, in terms of large, distributed soft real time that are telecoms systems.

1. martinusher Silver badge

Re: Hmmm

>Pretty thin, in terms of large, distributed soft real time that are telecoms systems.

I just dismissed him as 'marketing', a reasonably erudite face to front for the company. Chances are that wherever you work there's a nest of them somewhere in the building. They have their uses.

The thing that's important is that Huawei has been developing and building kit for about as long as everyone else. Their product is likely to be at least as good as anyone else's. All this noise -- noise which in the US has echoes of the Chinese Exclusion Acts in it -- is really about trying to take down competition. I don't like it because its not a healthy way to run a business; even if you win in the short term you ultimately lose.

7. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"fair, just and transparent"

Sorry, but right now, those words associated with the US of A just stick in my throat.

8. Sloppy Crapmonster

> Handsets remain a scarce commodity. Huawei's own 5G flagship, the foldable Mate X, was conspicuous by its absence (although as things have turned out, that might not be such a bad thing).

Shirley, you mean "...although as things have unfolded"

9. JoMe

"Show us the evidence."

Does Huawei break the law in it's home country of China? Unless it's an honest yes, there's no way to trust the organization of not implementing spy technology in everything it sells.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like