back to article Seagate FreeAgent Go 160GB external hard drive

Hard drive maker Seagate continues to try and persuade consumers that add-on drives aren't just for geeks but for everyone. It's latest attempt is the compact and eminently palm-able Go, part of its FreeAgent line up of external hard drives... er... "data movers". seagate freeagent go usb hdd The FreeAgent Go has the same …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Marc Davison

Power

The double headed cable is only provided for use with systems that can't provide enough power over a single USB port. So far I've not found a system that wont power it through just the Data connection, this includes a Thinkpad and a Vaio and various desktops

2. Splodman

Some things worth mentioning.

Personally, I like the brown and orange as it reminds me of the colour scheme used with very old ICL kit.

You neglected to point out that all freeagent drives have a limited 5 year warranty, which most don't. (you don't mention this on the review of the larger drive either!).

And finally, you only need to use the first of the double ended USB cable connections - the second is used with it when you have USB ports that won't give enough juice. This is useful as it saves having to use an external power supply.

3. Nick L

Maplins - FreeAgent 320gb - 60 quid

Maplins have the 320GB on special offer for 59.99 inc vat. Not bad...

Also it's worth mentioning that this comes with a 5 year limited warranty according to maplins. (I thought Seagate normally excluded their external drives from the 5 year warranty...)

4. Nick L

ignore previous comment! Maplins have FreeAgent Desktop, not go!

see title - I was wrong - maplins is the desktop version. Still a bargain tho :D

5. Tony Smith, Editor, Reg Hardware (Written by Reg staff)

Re. Warranty

Fair point, and one I perhaps should have made.

Mind you, it doesn't cover data loss, and how you convince a company their drive's stopped working becuase of a manufacturing fault, and not because you dropped it, is anyone's guess.

Still, it's an indication that Seagate is confident in its FreeAgents' longevity that it's willing to cover them for five years.

6. The Mighty Spang

form >= brain power

why would i want an extra light on something i might want to use on battery from the laptop? should i lower my screen backlight to compensate for the power drain of yet another useless pretty lamp?

7. Ryan Stewart

meh

Months ago I bought a WD 160gb Passport which is just as small, if not smaller. It came with the single headed cable (which is all I have ever needed). And the big catch is even back then it was a mere $107 at Best Buy, a retail store. I am sure I could have saved more if I could have waited and got it online.

And now WD has the 250gb option for $193 shipped on Newegg.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like