back to article Google nabs aerial camera company

If you were getting worried that a full two weeks had passed without Google acquiring yet another company, you can now rest easy. Today, the lord of the acquisitions bagged ImageAmerica - a company that takes aerial photographs with its own airplanes and high-res cameras - as it looks to beef up imagery on its Google Earth and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. kain preacher

google = cia ???

let me know when they start wire tapping, or enter the telco bizz

2. David

cia wishes they = google

With all the information Google has on you (if you use them as your search engine, let their advertising cookies take up residence on your system, use their email etc services, and so on), they probably don't see a need for wire tapping. There's a good chance you already do it for them (and if you don't, then there's many people out there who do).

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Super duper photos

Well after all this time, and they not found Bin Liner yet, I would not worry too much about them finding anything really important.

I wonder if they will find Elvis?

4. Nano nano

Coverage

Hopefully Google et al will eventually get round to higher-res imaging of areas of the UK that /aren't/ London ...

5. Simon Greenwood

@kain preacher

When they win the wireless spectrum auction, of course. Then they will tap EVERYTHING.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just keeping up with Microsoft

Microsoft have had bird-eye photos on Virtual Earth/Live Maps for a few months now. This isn't your normal satellite images, nor the 3D rendered version , rather an aircraft flies around taking high-res photos which give a better impression of where things are located (i.e.. much easier to visualise and understand). This was blogged about back in May. Google, now nearly 2 months later, buy a company who does this - yet, AFAIK, still haven't rolled out the service. http://virtualearth.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!2BBC66E99FDCDB98!8739.entry

7. Cameron Colley

I, for one, welcome our Google Overlords!!!

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, privacy doesn't work.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ah HA!!!

Well, well.

When will we see the privacy mob up in arms and brandishing the same venomous, acid tongues they use when attacking Government.

Perhaps they are not privacy advocates, as they like to think, but simply anti-Government fanatics.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wiretaps are so 20th century.

Why wait for someone to actually pickup a phone?

Googles new patent to listen to what's going on in your house -- obstinably to determine what's on the TV or Radio, but it's not like the mic on your 'puter is going to filter everything else out:

http://blogs.zdnet.com/ip-telephony/?p=1721

Sadly, you know there are people oblivious enough to sign up for such things. Or their kids -- without the consent of others in the house.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Google = CIA theory ...

If they aren't, they'll buy the CIA shortly I suspect.

11. Jamie Jones Silver badge

Re: Coverage

Nano, it's hardly just London they cover. Even my hick little town in Wales is in high res.

search swansea, wales, or go here!

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=swansea+wales&ie=UTF8&ll=51.619062,-3.941058&spn=0.001369,0.002819&t=k&z=19&om=1

12. Outcast

Conservatory Tax

Hmmm

All these high res scans will help the government with their proposed conservatory tax.

We saw an AWACS over Peterborough a couple of weeks ago... Now google earth has decent scans of our town as well.......

But do they sell any extra info gleaned ?

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Cameron Colley

Privacy doesn't work? That's a silly thing for you to say. You choose for privacy not to work by participating in activities/services that compromise your privacy.

14. Angus Wood

I think that street view is coming to london

A few weeks ago, walking home I walked past a car in traffic which had two good-quality (we use them ourselves) video cameras rigged to a frame in the passenger seat which also held a laptop. There were no markings on the car but from the driver's behavoir toward the kit it looked to me like it was running.

Anyone else seen one?

15. Dave Murray

Re: Ah HA!!!

"Well, well.

When will we see the privacy mob up in arms and brandishing the same venomous, acid tongues they use when attacking Government.

Perhaps they are not privacy advocates, as they like to think, but simply anti-Government fanatics."

For quite some years now actually, what rock have you been hiding under? See: http://www.google-watch.org/

16. Cameron Colley

Oops...

Seems I missed one of these ;~) off my post after the Simpsons reference.

17. Marvin the Martian

London streetview

@Angus Wood:

I saw a similar rig months ago in Gray's Inn Road but the car had its company stickers on. My bet was a streetview-service for real estate companies.

That was before the (american) Google streetview was rumoured.

18. Nano nano

Temporal Coverage

Hmm, they seem to have a higher-res image, but unfortunately it's gone back in time, my house hasn't been built yet !!! (built in 2000).

19. Mike

Temporal Coverage

The issue is with the display software. There's enough difference in browsers to make it difficult for them to restrict the right-hand end of the time-bar (forward past today) to only premium subscribers.

The Doctor is helping so they should have it sorted soon.

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Telco too!

At least in the US. Google's acquired Grand Central (www.grandcentral.com) and now help you manage your phone contacts, call routing, call logs, and voice mail.

21. Dillon Pyron

Property appraisals

Some taxing districts in the US have used them in the past for tax appraisals. Let's say you forgot to tell your appraisal district about that new pool in your backyard. They'll nail you for it, eventually.

By the way, I thought Beech scrapped all their Starships.

22. A. Merkin

Gummint Property Appraisals

Tarnation! Blasted Taxmen. Now I'll have to plant some of that flores cannabis gigantis to hide the new pool...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like