back to article Would you know a base station if you saw one?

What with the SiteFinder database still not getting updated, it's time to see if you notice now when the lamp post next to you is suspiciously pregnant, or if cellular base stations have become so much a part of our landscape that they no longer merit our attention. Some of the following photographs are transmitter towers used …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

Photo Collections

I've just forwarded this comp to the guy who designs hidden masts for one of the UK's mobile telcos - his photo collection of this sort of thing is even worse than el Reg's. Now I just need to get a better score than him.....

2. Anonymous Coward
    Heart

Right Enuf...

...At least two of those photos are from the capital of the Highlands - and were taken not more than 500 yards from each other! Never thought I'd see my wee home town on El-Reg...

3. breakfast Silver badge
    Unhappy

Those weird twisted-tree masts

I hate those masts that are trying to look like trees but because they are clearly artificial look like strange and alien corruptions of nature. Perhaps like a tree created by someone who has never seen a real tree in their lives, something from a nightmare or the weird Men In Black corner of surreal phenomenae.

I would much prefer that they looked like something properly different but interesting- perhaps given more of a 1950s retro-future look or generally sculped into some intriguing form that adds interest to the landscape and would perhaps confuse future archaeologists rather than being made into these vile essence-of-wrongness carbuncles.

4. Vincent Ballard

Some of those are hard

I think I've got at least 60% correct, but some were genuine "Not sure"s - the photo wasn't good enough for me to tell whether I was looking at a solid object or a piece of sky.

5. Andus McCoatover

WW1, anyone?

Old idea.

I read an article recently in - I think, the Bellylarf - about an artist who drew a tree inside German enemy lines so well, that, one night, the British removed the real one and substituted a fake, made of steel with a squaddie inside, to report back on enemy movements. (Maybe by shaking the leaves to Morse Code??). Enemy didn't notice.

Anyone confirm? Can't find the link anywhere.

Oh, yeah, and I worked on the team at Nokia Siemens Networks that designed a mini wall-mounted basestation, where the cover could be easily swapped for the environment. I heard of local artists painting bricks/pebbledash/stone etc. on the cover, to look like the wall it was mounted on. You _really_ wouldn't see it, unless you knew where to look. (Bit like that daft space bint's sodding handbag floating about somewhere)

And, please, the Mast Debate joke's been done already. No more, Pleeeth!

6. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

"Dead spot"

Shouldn't that be for Dixons?

7. Andus McCoatover
    Thumb Up

@BLoad

10 points!!! Almost (literally) pissed myself. Had to run to the pub's bog. Sharpish.

Thanks!

8. Gordon Grant
    Joke

B-

Yes very good el reg, not bad, but some of those could be better :P

9. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

No. 1...

The Larch!

10. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

@Andus - WW1

http://letmegooglethatforyou.com/?q=ww1+tree+enemy+lines+replaced+telegraph

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Anonymous Coward

Heh was just given the heads up about Inverness appearing in this by a friend. I can see there's one taken in Falcon Square, in Inverness station and what appears to be a pretty obvious fixture on the side of the Eastgate Centre. I've never come across Inverness in El Reg before... has to be a first for everything I suppose!

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

bit ambiguous

Number's 3 and 4. Will have to wait and see if I got those ones. . .

13. mittfh

Trees

I think I got most of the trees - you can either see something suspiciously pole-like poking above the main trunk, or the dead giveaway - surrounded by fencing with a metal box nearby. The buildings were harder to guess - although those drainpipes to nowhere looked suspicious...

14. alan
    Joke

re: steel tree

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/3152343/World-War-1-artist-went-behind-enemy-lines-to-sketch-German-positions.html

a bloody steel tree!? i wonder if it still exists in a museum or something.......

how the hell did they not notice though? wouldnt it be obvious when it inevitably gets hit by something and goes "DINK" as it bounces off rather than exploding into splinters? and infact wouldnt it just be damn obvious anyways???

Hans: "Hey Sarge, ze tree is looking shiny today."

Sarge: "Random."

Hans: "Should ve shoot it?"

Sarge: "No, better not. A tree as shiny as zat must have been expensive......"

going to go watch armstrong and miller now..... standard :)

p.s kudos on the st andrews day getup reg :)

15. Neoc

Nnnggnn.... can't resist....

All you base station are belong to us!

<ah> feel better now.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

steel tree

Was at the IWM Camouflage Exhibition, now,sadly,over!

17. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Suspicious black thing

or Eye of Sauron..

18. Ogdru
    Joke

Someone had to say it...

That's no moon, It's a base station.

19. Wyrmhole
    Heart

UFO

That's not a mast, IT'S A UFO!! in pic #19.

20. Fred
    Heart

omg lol

Number 7 is Ardgay telephone exchange in the highlands.. wow cool. i used to work in there, many a bad memories of a veryvery badly planne MDF and those bloody jumpers grr lol.

21. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

RE: omg lol

You worked for the GPO maintaining Strowger and use omg lol - omg lol indeed!

22. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Ogdru

That would have been funnier if the quote had been correct:

"That's no small moon...."

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like