back to article Atari dumps Davenport Lyons' piracy nastygram campaign

Storied videogaming brand Atari has dropped a campaign of legal threats against alleged illegal filesharers run on its behalf by the law firm Davenport Lyons, The Register has learned. Atari engaged London-based Davenport Lyons earlier this year to go after internet users it accused of illegally sharing copies of its driving …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"The strength of Davenport Lyons' accusations has never been tested in court"

For which, I imagine, Messrs Davenport Lyons are, most likely, eternally grateful.

Allegedly.

AC. well, let sleeping dogs and lawyers lie.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

screw atari and Davenport

There has to be a question here of would you buy a product from a company which treats people in this way.

During the eighties nobody would buy any product made or associated with South Africa because of the way they treated people due to the colour of their skin.

Why is it companies think they can get away with these blind accusations against people for file sharing. If I accuse enough people and make enough noise about it then the message will get through.

No if you piss enough people off then they will start stealing your stuff just to piss you off more because it is the only way to kick back.

What we do have to do is make sure the companies which engage in such heavy handed tactics are exposed so we can decide are they a suitable company to spend money with.

Their games are shit anyway

3. Frederick Karno
    Unhappy

Merry Christmas

I hope the general public take note that these modern day Dick Turpin's are only acting on their own behalf, and will not fork out money to the scam D/L are running.

It has always amazed me that the law society has never taken an interest in this practice of demanding money with menaces.

Even the French(who i don't hold in high regard)banned a lawyer from practising for using the self same tactics.They are belittling the justice system and using it for their own means .

4. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Opinion

You'd have to be a stealer of everything that comes down the pike, and a freetard for many lifetimes, to be as much of a cunt as the idiots on Atari's management/legal counsel team are. And Davenport Lyons collectively would have to undergo a major evolutionary leap to even aspire to this level. This Thanksgiving I'm thinking that it's a shame that turkeys aren't reincarnated lawyers.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

No more DPL shakedown I think :)

After the Digiprotect/Evil Angel contract slipped onto the Net I don't think DPL would like to try to have to defend that one in court, they will look very stupid. If they use info from TBP trackers they are going to look even more stupid as the TBP puts random IPs into the swarm just for fun.

DPL there's a blue flashing light over there go and chase that instead.

Oh and Atari why F@#k has UT2004 (actually paid for !) suddenly started hard locking SP3, non of my other games do. Maybe I should sue you !

6. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

What a muppet I am

For paying them £505 a couple months ago over an Atari game. Serves me right. I was guilty and the whole thing put me back on the straight and narrow, much to my bank accounts dismay...

7. Sam

Correct me if I'm wrong..

..but doesn't encrypting in azureus defeat this?

This topic is closed for new posts.