back to article O2 brings forth a Friday fail for some unlucky UK customers

The UK's O2 mobile network knocked off early for the week today as some customers found themselves unable to use voice services. As is the modern way, customers took to Twitter to vent their collective spleen at the Telefónica-owned communications outfit. Lucky data has kept working then, eh? Is the @O2 network down 🙄 I can’t …

1. Ragarath

Emergency

How did Samantha Gearing know the school were urgently trying to get in contact if she was not contactable?

Inquiring minds would like to know! Well me at least.

1. Alister

Re: Emergency

Perhaps they sent her an SMS?

2. Martin Summers Silver badge

More to the point, how would she have coped pre mobile networks? My kids school have my work department landline numbers. It's an outage, it's inconvenient, it happens. Suck it up!

3. matt07743

they sent her a facebook message saying OMG bbz we will call you xxx

1. Korev Silver badge
        Windows

U OK hun?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Do dual-SIM (ie dual network) mobile phones still exist in the UK?

Maybe now would be a good time to remind punters that as well as all the usual new-phone shiny stuff, a dual-SIM (ie possibility of two separate carrier networks) capability might be something worth thinking about.

Shame affordable dual-SIM phones have been so hard to find in the UK, eh. But then 'we' do love our monopolies and cartels in the UK, don't we. That's one of various reasons why we can't possibly be allowed cross-network roaming **in the UK** (other than via AnywhereSIM and similar).

1. OssianScotland

Re: Do dual-SIM (ie dual network) mobile phones still exist in the UK?

My Honor 9 (Huawei cheap brand) has either a second sim or an SD card. I use it with a data only SIM as a mobile hotspot

2. ARGO

Three sell a range of dual sim phones, including the honor mentioned above.

1. druck Silver badge

Unless you rush out an buy a second SIM when there is an outage, keeping a second contract SIM costs money, and a second pay as you go is pain, as it will stop working if you don't use it every couple of months.

3. Alistair
    Windows

Wailing on Twitter

"judging by the quantity of wailing on Twitter"

There was a change? I thought that was all that was on twitter these days.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like