back to article Mobes 'n' mattresses flinger Xiaomi growing like the clappers – outside China, at least

Chinese tat bazaar Xiaomi isn't all scooters, knickers and formaldehyde-free mattresses. It also makes smartphones, and sales of those in Europe helped grow international revenues by 118 per cent year-on-year, booking almost ¥174.9bn overall, or £20bn in calendar 2018. The smartphone part of Xiaomi's business took in ¥113.8bn …

1. Youngone Silver badge

Who are they?

Xiaomi have a "Mi Store" in a mall near me where they showcase a bunch of their products, but in a really amateurish fashion.

It's almost like they don't really understand the market they're trying to sell into. Either that, or the staff are not paid to care. It might be that.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Who are they?

In China they are Apple, M&S and John Lewis rolled into one, their push is to be the one trusted brand for everything.

They have super focussed customer support for their phones, weekly updates, dev staff required to spend time on user forums etc.

2. Anomalous Cowturd
    Thumb Up

Happy customer.

I have one of their "robot" vacuum cleaners, and it is excellent, from both a technology and a vacuum cleaner point of view. It was also half the price of the "market leading" brand.

It cleans my floor with no intervention from me, and has had at least half a dozen firmware updates in the 14 months I have owned it. I liked it so much, I bought one for my cleaner. She loves it, too.

3. Rodrigo Valenzuela

Xiaomi smartphones

I have a small Xiaomi smartphone (Redmi 4x).

So far,it has behaved well, specially given the price of about us$200 for a an 1.4 GHz octacore, 32 GB RAM, 3 GB internal, 5" capacitive touchscreen .

Not a *great* phone, but it works and is cheap.

R

4. Dr_N

Very happy phone and Stratos watch user here.

Wanted a rice cooker but it wouldn't fit in my luggage.

5. Daytona955

Poco

Just bought a Pocophone - great name :D

Seems OK. If I get tired of the MIUI customized Android, Xiaomi apparently make it relatively easy to unlock it and stick LineageOS on.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Owned multiple Xiaomi phones, and...

continue to recommend them.

Step dad recently bought one to replace his Samsung and is really happy with it.

SWMBO NEARLY bought one, but let a friend talk her into a Huawei P20 Pro instead.

They are selling so well because

a/ they are well made

b/ the spec is as good as many more expensive phones (with 1 or 2 minor omissions)

c/ they keep pushing out software and firmware updates

My oldest Note1 (3G), is all but dead after my 5 y/o broke the USB port (again), it is as old as she is, and was still getting updates, even though the only way to charge it is to take the battery out and use an external charger (which I got for free when ordering a new £2.50 battery for it).

1. Persona

Re: Owned multiple Xiaomi phones, and...

Interesting. I had ruled them out for not being AndroidOne …….. but getting regular updates puts them back in the running.

7. 0laf

I don't have one but know people who have and they speak highly of their purchases. Usually the complements are focussed on vlaue for money and these are peope who see their phone as a tool not a statement.

8. Dave 144

Redmi Note 5 Pro

I've had the Redmi Note 5 Pro for about a year. The reason I bought it was becuase I dropped my S7 Edge and the cost of an eBay screen was about the same as the Redmi.

For the money they are brilliant. I have a few minor bug bears, the touch screen is not quite as sensitive as the Samsung, the auto brightness is a little dark for my liking (there is no adjustment factor) and worst of all permissions. The pre-installed Apps require stupid levels of permission and ignore the default Apps setup on the phone. My example here is that Gallery works fine, you try and open a video, it ignores that VLC is set as the default video App and insists on using MiVideo. The downside to MiVideo? It requires 'phone' permissions to play a video. It states 'needs IMEI for security', somehow I doubt a video player needs to access my phone at all.

Even with the minor issues, I would still buy another Redmi. Maybe it's the fact I am from Yorkshire, but I just can't justify £1000+ on a device anymore. I own 4 cars and I could have bought 3 of them for the cost of latest Samsung.

1. LRanger

Re: Redmi Note 5 Pro

Flash it with a developer ROM and break-out of the MIUI wannabe IOS net.

9. crayon

Video players

Most video players use the "phone" permissions to pause the video when you have an incoming call. Whether that is all they use the permissions for is another matter.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like