back to article Karpeles walks, Google and Microsoft board up Windows hole, and Android AV still sucks

Last week we saw a conservative app exposed, the revelation of Beto's hacker past, and the rise of Slub. Let's kick start this week with some extra bits and bytes from the infosec world. Certs still foiling AV detectors We may be a bit jaded after this year's RSA Conference hype-fest, but it's less than shocking to learn that …

1. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge
    Megaphone

Mark did nothing wrong!

The post is required, and must contain letters.

1. iron Silver badge

Re: Mark did nothing wrong!

Because embezzlement is built into the BitCoin business plan as standard?

1. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

Yeah!

I thought it was obvious but I should have used the joke icon anyway...

2. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

The Mt Gox failure is just a bump in the road to the inevitable merger of Magic: The Gathering and Bitcoin into a single collectable cryptocurrency strategic card game and medium of exchange.

"When this coincard is played on a Housewares terrain, any Durable Goods purchase will be 10% off for the duration of the turn."

2. Blockchain commentard
    Facepalm

"but what is the term for a patch that gets released before any practical bug can even be found?"

Windows ME was patched to Windows XP, Vista to Windows 7, Windows 8 to WIndows 10 so Microsoft do have form on this bug patching !!!

1. Robert Helpmann??
      Headmaster

A patch by any other name

...but what is the term for a patch that gets released before any practical bug can even be found?

Due diligence? A good job? The way things should get done?

3. RyokuMas

"... the code pairings needed to pull off a proof-of-concept could not be found."

Of course, had Microsoft not been in a position to patch the issue, it's a pretty solid bet that the code pairings would have been found out there in 90 days, given who actually it.

4. Andy The Hat Silver badge

Au contraire

"known and reputable security firms. Vendors like ... Kaspersky, "

I think those who support the Hair Monster will have something to say about that comment!

1. Thunderpants
      Pint

Re: Au contraire

"Hair monster"

Have an upvote for causing me to chuckle sir or madam.

5. Cavehomme_

A zero day enhancement?

6. Mark 85

Navy swamped by Chinese hackers

Maybe it's me but I don't get why sensitive info has to be on public facing servers. How hard can it be to move the stuff from the "public" side to private servers that on not web facing? I can't think of any hi-tech answer other than make a connection once a day (or use, ahem, some sort of magnetic based media).

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

BlackBerry courts the US government

You have got to be kidding me!

Aren't Blackberry phones now manufactured by TCL?

#https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BlackBerry

"BlackBerry is a line of smartphones, tablets, and services originally designed and marketed by Canadian company BlackBerry Limited (formerly known as Research In Motion, or RIM).[1] These are currently designed, manufactured, and marketed by TCL Communication (under the brand of BlackBerry Mobile)"

And wasn't TCL in the news just a couple of months ago for having malware preinstalled on some of their devices?

#https://www.zdnet.com/article/malware-found-preinstalled-on-some-alcatel-smartphones/

"The app, named "Weather Forecast-World Weather Accurate Radar," was developed by TCL Corporation, a Chinese electronics company that among other things owns the Alcatel, BlackBerry, and Palm brands."

And even though those reports came out over two months ago there still hasn't been any official statement made by TCL/Alcatel.

We are doomed.

I'm glad some of the magnet schools here in the US are teaching our children Mandarin.

They are going to need it.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Android AV: mostly useless

"If you're relying on an antivirus app to protect your Android device, there's a very good chance you're only fooling yourself."

If you install an Android antivirus app you just infected yourself anyway.

Almost very single one of the antivirus and cleaner apps on the Play Store are loaded with trackers and request every single permission under the sun.

https://reports.exodus-privacy.eu.org/en/reports/apps/#

They can also use and abuse accessibilty functions and ask to become device administrator to gain deeper access to data that the average app cannot access and make it more difficult for some users to uninstall.

I have been warning friends and family to stay away from all these antivirus/cleaner apps for years.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like