back to article What today links Gmail, Google Drive, YouTube, Facebook, Instagram – apart from being run by monopolistic personal data harvesters?

Both Google and Facebook suffered outages Wednesday, with the Chocolate Factory leading the way and seemingly fixing its issues just as Zuck's network became decidedly antisocial. On Wednesday morning, around 0800 Pacific Time (1500 UTC), Google said it was "investigating reports of an issue with Gmail" in which some users …

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

The "hiccup" lasted well into 2 P.M. for me

At some point this morning between 8:30 and 9 I lost access to my GMail account, and it did not come back until after 2 P.M.

I did find all my morning messages at that point, so nothing was lost.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Black Helicopters

Re: The "hiccup" lasted well into 2 P.M. for me

I had no issues with gmail Wednesday - TODAY is a different matter, multiple emails are missing, confirmed sent, but never arrived.

In fact sending took multiple attempts as well.

I am sticking to my claim it is The Donald busy trying to delete every mention of him and that Chinese brothel owner from the interwebs (before Melania finds out).

1. Mark 85
        Black Helicopters

Re: The "hiccup" lasted well into 2 P.M. for me

I am sticking to my claim it is The Donald busy trying to delete every mention of him and that Chinese brothel owner from the interwebs (before Melania finds out).

So your post will disappear soon then? As will this one since I mentioned it also?

2. Silksaint41

FB are lying (again)

When I try to log in I get a message that says "Facebook is down for required maintenance right now, but you should be able to get back on within a few minutes." I've been getting it for 5 hours.

1. BebopWeBop

Re: FB are lying (again)

Well look on the positive side, your addiction to Facebook is being eroded.......

2. RyokuMas
      Stop

Re: FB are lying (again)

... and in other news, the sky is blue and water is wet.

3. nsld

Been intermittent all day

I am on the Southern West Coast of the US and everything has been bouncing up and down since this morning.

Currently as of 2.45 pm PST corporate Gmail is stuck and erroring. Tries to load, bar gets to 90% then it sticks.

Facebook was chucking errors earlier, Twitter, its hard to tell if its working or not, my timeline still appears to be full of lunatics and gammon so seems to be normal service really.

4. Gareth 7

Facebook still down

Unable to post anything and not seeing anything new for the last 5 hours. Keeps coming up with error and pop-up saying to try later.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Must be Huawei

Just complying with Chinese Law, where spying is the law.

1. Mike VandeVelde
      1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Who is forced to spy and who can choose.

Seems to me that the difference is, or was or should be, that Chinese individuals as well as businesses are required to spy or do whatever is requested by the Chinese government.

In the West enforcement and spy agencies are the only ones forced to do so (it's their job, and is what the wiki link refers to). While enforcement agencies can request business and individuals to do whatever they are not required to do so until a court agrees they must.

It is part of the concept the Rule of Law which has governments being accountable. Most systems, operate on the Might is Right principle where rule of law means doing as told by those in power.

The West is abandoning the many basic principles that created the modern world including the idea that governments should be open and accountable to citizens as well as the idea that everyone including governments and politicians should be subject to agreed to laws.

There are those who do not want the ideas of individual rights, democracy and rule of law to be forgotten so highlight the difference between systems.

Personally I'm seeing less and less of a difference. Ever try to find out what your government is doing or how it is spending money? In Canada it becomes an expensive exercise in frustration as everything is hidden behind "Freedom of Information" polices and practices.

"Access to Information" an Orwellian name used to keep citizens ignorant and uninformed. How could we ever know who is doing our spying, or for whom, when our governments hide and lie to us as a matter of course (insert Snowden or Justin or Trump or EU reference here).

Technically we can't be forced to spy or break laws, Chinese citizens are not so lucky if targeted for use by their government.

1. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

Technically we can't be forced to spy or break laws

Say, that's a nice business you have there. Want us to take a really, really close look at the books and all the people you have working for you?

Thought not. Now here's what we want you to do...

2. Mike VandeVelde

Happens all the time but you won't hear about it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_security_letter

3. Mark 85

IIn the West enforcement and spy agencies are the only ones forced to do so (it's their job,

Right... "forced" is the operative word. The fact that every major website dumps tons of tracking cookies, Google knows more about you than anyone, and FB tracks you even if you're not a member means what? We don't need laws to be spied on, only corporations.

6. Mark 85

Twitter down?

I guess that explains why all is mostly silent out of Washington, DC. Yes, I'm being snarky but can I add: "every dark cloud has a silver lining"?

I do feel for those who rely on the other services though for contact with relatives and friends, especially with the heavy weather moving east here in the States.

1. deadlockvictim

Re: Twitter down?

A better metaphor for the Cloud is what happens when it comes down to earth, you get fog.

And when conditions are very foggy, you can't see where you are going and sometimes you have to stay put.

2. Mage Silver badge
      Big Brother

Re: "every dark cloud has a silver lining"?

I wrote a book where two patches rushed out by different groups (one to do with BGP on routers) takes down almost all web & email, but not SFTP and other stuff used by data centres to replicate instances.

Set slightly in the future where all POS, ATM, Mobile Billing, Stock ordering etc is outsourced to the Cloud.

"No Silver Lining".

It's part fantasy, no not the computer bit where a smaller Cloud provider, the only one still working and the human employees using Satellite coms to try and convince the big players to take their patches, but the bit where it's owned by Fairy Folk.

3. Version 1.0 Silver badge

I agree and sympathize too but we have to realize that this is the internet, electrons rattling around in wires and electro-magnetic fields ... it's generally more reliable than carrier pigeons but, like pigeons, you can't complain when it doesn't work occasionally.

4. PhillW

Does that mean that the Ruskies could launch their nukes and the Great Orange one will be saying "Fake News" to all his staffers because it was not on Twitter?

1. Mark 85

the Great Orange one will be saying "Fake News" to all his staffers because it was not on Twitter or Fox News?

FTFY.

7. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Coat

Everyone turning against good ol' 'merca

Trump & Co. will probably blame the Germans this time cos they didn't roll over and do as they were told.

8. DeKrow
    Big Brother

NSA Upgrades

Just the NSA upgrading their infrastructure, nothing to see here.

1. Dazed and Confused

Re: NSA Upgrades

Nah, the e NSA are going to be well pissed off with FB being down. I mean all these people volunteering to spy on themselves and everyone around them. Even Erich Honecker never managed such a perfect citizen surveillance system.

9. kekofo

Facebook has been down for me since 11:00 a.m. I use it for business and have been very unhappy and frustrated. I am now no longer able to log on at all (I at least this afternoon was able to log on, but it appears that is not the case anymore). I'm not buying their explanation.

1. BebopWeBop
      Facepalm

There is an easy solution for that (hint it involves not using FB for your business)

1. holmegm

That's a great idea! Let us know when you've convinced all his customers.

1. Evil Scot

That will be Facebook's customers.

Who they will sell ad space to his opposition.

10. Teiwaz

On the upside

Will the outage not improve generally productivity all round?

Or just a sudden increase in therapy bookings as anxiety increases among the social addicts.

1. Mark 85

Re: On the upside

Well, it's still down here on southern end of the PNW. What I'm seeing is people walking about and actually seeing where they're going. No smartphone stuck in their face. And, shock of shocks, they're actually talking to each other.

I'd think if it lasts more than a day or two, there might be an increase in anxiety.

Anecdotal: I have seen signs of withdrawal when I was out and about. One younger person (well... younger than me) was checking her phone every couple of minutes in grocery checkout line. So I told her it's down pretty much everywhere. She stopped, smiled, said "thanks" and put the phone away. We then had an actual conversation.

2. Korev Silver badge
      Joke

Re: On the upside

No, Slack is up

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

....and in that brief moment of time....

....hapless souls slowly wandered away from their devices to stand outside and gaze at the sky and sun.

The spell was temporarily broken across the land.

A sign that all was not yet lost?

1. TimMaher Silver badge
      Pint

Re: ....and in that brief moment of time....

Truly poetic.

Up vote and double plus beer for that one.

Didn’t have to go @AC for that.

Also, why am I reminded of “The War of the Worlds”?

12. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge

A great disturbance in the spam

This explains all the phishing e-mails switching from GMail to QQ hosting this morning.

13. eldakka
    Coat

Antisocial?

just as Zuck's network became decidedly antisocial.

I'd like to suggest that Facebook being un-contactable is the opposite of antisocial.

14. Neoc

Down in the Antipodes

As of 8am this morning (GMT+10), FB was down in Australia - or at least having enough problems that the local radio stations mentioned it during the news.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The Cloud is the answer to everything. Or is it AI and the Edge...?

FB users can always just go do something more useful.

1. XSV1

The Cloud is the answer to everything. Or is it AI and the Edge...?

Or is it IoT or IIoT or AIIoT or AIIIoT?

16. Robigus

And nothing of value was lost.

17. Diogenes

But is IS an Emeeeeeeeergency

In tonight's news, people were requested NOT to ring 000 (911, 999, 112 for left & right pondians) to complain about facebook being down down

1. Korev Silver badge
      Trollface

Re: But is IS an Emeeeeeeeergency

Seriously?

My reaction -->

18. The Central Scrutinizer

Funny, I didn't notice a thing

I was too busy getting on with life to farnarkle around with Facebook.

1. Will Godfrey Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Re: Funny, I didn't notice a thing

I like 'farnarkle'. Sounds really arcane Have one of these as well as an upvote

1. The Central Scrutinizer

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=X454D3Fzwso

Knock yourselves out. The original farnarkler himself, John Clarke.

2. Mark 85
      Pint

I had to go look that one up. Well worth the time as I can see using farnarkle in meetings, etc. Have one from me.

19. lglethal Silver badge
    Trollface

Alternative headlines for you

Facebook causes productivity increase!

Anti-social networks now less anti-social!

Facebook users discover life outside of facebook!

1. werdsmith Silver badge

Re: Alternative headlines for you

Alternative headlines for you

Facebook users discover life outside of facebook!

Facebook users discover life outside of facebook and the Jeremy Kyle show.

20. Rudolph Hucker the Third
    Happy

From the Department of Good News

I'm shocked, *shocked*, that FaecesBorg has had a massive outage.

Impact?

~ millions of people cannot post drivel and trivia!

~ FaecesBorg has already lost $millions of income selling those people's personal data

~ suddenly the world seems a better place.

1. BebopWeBop
      Trollface

It looks as though Crowley lost out on this to Aziraphale who is finally getting with the programme (for those who have read Good Omens and Crowleys suggestions for mass pollution of souls)

21. Dan 55 Silver badge

Move fast and break things

Well, he got what he wanted, perhaps he can retire now.

22. Arctic fox
    Headmaster

Meanwhile, Facebook and its services are still down

Oh bliss it was that dawn to be alive, but to be without FB was very heaven! *

*With apologies to William Wordsworth

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Meanwhile, Facebook and its services are still down, hours later, for some unlucky netizens."

I think there's been a mistake here. It should be "lucky netizens".

24. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Facebook has been unreachable for almost a year now

(I have it blocked at my router)

25. dbaldock9
    Meh

Can log in, but can't post at 07:45 CDT, 14-MAR-19

Was logged in yesterday morning, and could post to friend's walls, and Facebook groups.

During the mid-day, I couldn't log in.

In the evening, I could log in, and could post on groups, but not on walls.

Can log in this morning, and the situation is still the same - can post on groups, but not on walls.

Have logged out, cleared cookies, and logged back in, several times - but no change.

The Facebook mobile app produces the same results - can post on groups, but not on walls.

1. BebopWeBop

Re: Can log in, but can't post at 07:45 CDT, 14-MAR-19

I think you are posting to the wrong group if you are looking for sympathy

1. John Arthur
        Trollface

As an old friend of mine remarked years ago: "If you are looking for sympathy you will find it in the dictionary between shit and syphilis".

2. Mark 85

Too much free time on your hands then?

26. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

ROTM

Skynet achieved sentience and decided that Facebook was a bigger threat to it than humans. :-)

27. MrBanana

And in other news

Managers are wondering why productivity has suddenly increased amongst the peons.

28. the Jim bloke
    Devil

The battle cry of chavs, skinheads, hooligans and the like....

Its DOWN...

KICK it !!!

29. Jim Birch

I'm amazed that the FB system works as well as it does. A userbase in the billions, that seriously scary.

30. CliveLondon

What about dancing cats FFS

It is time to think of those addicted to a daily dose of animal based video humour. These people need our sympathy during these terrible outages.

Just Giving page perhaps? I will certainly donate to such a worthy cause.

Be strong local council admin workers...your 6 hours a day on social media will be back soon.

31. Alister

I felt a great disturbance in the Cloud, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like