back to article Yelp-for-MAGAs app maker is warned there are holes in its code. Does it A. Just fix the problem, or B. Threaten to call the FBI, too?

A developer specializing in mobile apps for US conservatives is under fire for threatening to call the Feds on someone who reported security shortcomings in its software. On Tuesday, a French infosec bod, going under the Mr Robot-themed pseudonym Elliot Alderson and handle fs0c131y, notified 63red that it had left hard-coded …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I suspect I'm better off not knowing what a MAGA is.

1. Jon 37

MAGA is a "Make America Great Again" Donald Trump supporter.

1. Someone Else Silver badge

That would be a MAGAT (pronounced, aptly enough, "maggot") for Make America Great Again Trumper.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I thought it stood for

Moscow Agent Governing America

1. kain preacher

Re: I thought it stood for

It stands for my Attorney got arrested . Morons are governing America.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

> Moscow Agent Governing America

Moscow Agent Grooming America?

1. kain preacher

Moscow Agent Governing America

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Throatwarbler Mangrove Silver badge

It's American for Сделай Америку Великой снова.

4. Inventor of the Marmite Laser Silver badge

Spelling was wrong, that's all. It's Make America Grate Again

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Ignorance is Bliss?

It's definitely:

Make America Genocidal Again

and definitely NOT:

Mooning A Gigantic Arse

(C'mon Trumpers, Gimme All Your Downvotes - I Love 'Em!)

2. Andy Non Silver badge

Somehow I can just see Trump

tweeting... "Fake news. Democrats trying to undermine him etc."

Talk about shooting the messenger.

1. veti Silver badge

Re: Somehow I can just see Trump

Meh. Maybe he will, maybe he won't. As far as I know, he hasn't yet mentioned it.

Let's not talk about what we imagine he might do. What he does is bad enough.

3. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    FAIL

Thank you

Nice of 63red to make it absolutely clear they are utter crap.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: Thank you

Somebody should remind them that when everybody thinks you're an idiot it's not a good idea to open your mouth and confirm it.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

> Somebody should remind them that when everybody thinks you're an idiot it's not a good idea to open your mouth and confirm it.

That's not how Trumpkins operate. Sorry to dismiss your otherwise very reasonable suggestion, but logic and/or reason do not apply here.

2. joeW

In this case at least, their idiocy was already confirmed. API development isn't particularly hard these days.

3. zuckzuckgo Silver badge

The new rules for American debates is that whoever speaks the loudest and the longest is the rightist.

1. disgruntled yank

Oh, I don't know, I've met a few loud and prolix leftists also.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Rightist as apposed to wrongist.

2. Claverhouse Silver badge

Considering they are solely there to make a smartphone app to show red hat wearing people where to find watering-holes where red hats are welcome, this goes without saying.

And yes, I would feel the same about an app for American liberals seeking a safe space.

1. Alistair
        Windows

Considering they are solely there to make a smartphone app to show red hat wearing people where to find watering-holes where red hats are welcome, this goes without saying.

Some of us red hat wearing folks are neither American nor particularly interested in overpriced chinese baseball caps attributed to the current PotUS (Pumpkin?). Far more interested in getting our opensource out and avoiding the blues. *cough*

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I have a red baseball cap I wear that says "Red Hat" on it, for example. Seems to really confuse a certain group of politically rightist folk.

We all know that MAGA was a printing error and should read MAWA.

4. Mark 85

Shooting the messenger again.

This does seem almost to be the equivalent of one going on vacation and leaving the front door open and upon return shoot the nice neighbor who walked by, closed and locked it. Rather than fixing the problem and saying "thank you" (at a minimum) someone gets their knickers in a twist and rolls out the FBI and will most likely toss a sueball. What a world this has become.

@ Mark 85 -- Re: Shooting the messenger again.

Consider the source....

1. Rich 11

Re: @ Mark 85 -- Shooting the messenger again.

Might you possibly be suggesting that 63red follow so deeply in their Dear Leader's footsteps that they have become thin-skinned and paranoid ignoramuses unable to respond proportionately to even the mildest criticism? No! Tell me it ain't so!

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Might you possibly be suggesting that 63red follow so deeply in their Dear Leader's footsteps that they have become thin-skinned and paranoid ignoramuses unable to respond proportionately to even the mildest criticism?

I think it's more a matter of being so deep into someone's rectal cavity that there is an absence of thought-promoting oxygen.

2. Eddy Ito

While I don't see it going down too differently if the shoe was on the blue side of the coin it really does make one wonder. What kind of "snowflake" needs a 63red app to know where their "safe spaces" are?

P.S. I hope the responding FBI agent responds with; "Well golly snowflake that's kind of how this stuff works."

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

MAGA hat wearers are regularly attacked or abused. Whats even worse is that most commentators here would probably think that is fine.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Seeing people wearing a MAGA hat makes me always think of the bummer of a birthmark cartoon by Gary Lawson if it weren't for the fact that they tend to be the gun nuts themselves.

Coffee/keyboard

See what you went and made me do? ---->

2. Rich 11

Whats even worse is that most commentators here would probably think that is fine.

No, I don't think that's fine. Just as I don't think it's fine that Trump uses his rallies to fire the MAGA hat-wearers up into yelling abuse at the journalists present, or when he denigrates Mexicans or Democrats or immigrants in such a way that he engages in stochastic terrorism with all those "fine Second Amendment people".

How the fuck did we get here?

3. MonkeyCee

"Whats even worse is that most commentators here would probably think that is fine."

I'd think not. In general, whatever our personal and political disagreements, I find the commantards are not believers in violence. I'm on the fence about fighting actual fascists, but I'd not thump a republican, conservative or national voter just because we held radically different political views. Especially in a two party system, which is going to always involve some amount of nose holding for the party candidate.

I don't like Trump or his politics, but I don't think he should be harmed as a result of that. That extends to his supporters. Don't even think he should be impeached, pretty sure the wheels of justice will grind him down.

I'm pretty sure that the majority of the GoP don't actually like him either, but he was their guy, he's getting 2-3 picks onto the SCOTUS and can be relied on to put the right white fella in place. He also winds the left up like no-ones business :)

"MAGA hat wearers are regularly attacked or abused."

Any more than anyone wearing an open political declaration?

Not that I approve of attacks, but if you're wearing a political slogan, aren't you asking for a reaction?

But yeah, don't fight each other please. Save that for when the buggers who do want our freedoms come for them.

4. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

MAGA hat wearers are regularly attacked or abused

MAGA types, emulating their thin-skinned Dear Leader, are well-known for wallowing in their supposed victimhood, while simultaneously describing anyone they dislike as (presumably-weak) snowflakes. They're good at "dissonance;" "cognitive," well, not so much.

See quoted text, above, for a relevant example.

2. martinusher Silver badge

Re: Shooting the messenger again.

That's what we call around these parts "Standard Operating Procedure". MAGAs are a paranoid little bunch, very noisy, very abrasive and quite prone to be threatening, if not downright violent.

There's a lot of parallels with the Brexit brigade -- those pushing for a so-called 'hard' Brexit. That's why I refer to this group as the "Make Britain Great Again" people -- both groups are very emotional, passionate about their beliefs and don't seem to have a clue what those beliefs actually are.

Incidentally, Trump sold those hats, I think they cost about $20 each.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Incidentally, Trump sold those hats, I think they cost about $20 each."

And they were made in Chins.

3. Greg Fawcett

But it was a FOREIGN neighbour, so the hostility is perfectly understandable. French people don't even speak english like Jesus did, so they must be godless terrorists.

What a world indeed.

5. Blockchain commentard
    Facepalm

What's the betting the programmer has a crimson shaded neck!!!

6. JLV
    FAIL

Given the context, why am I not surprised at the utter stupidity on display?

7. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Is there a charge equivalent to wasting police time but for the FBI?

1. VikiAi
      Black Helicopters

I think you just disappear one night.

1. Rich 11
        Black Helicopters

Those FEMA concentration camps don't fill themselves, you know.

8. JustWondering
    Paris Hilton

I'm guessing...

... that this app will now see more penetration attempts than Paris Hilton's eggs?

1. Eddy Ito

Who?

She seems to have fallen out of the celebutante spotlight over the past several years, are you sure anyone even bothers with those pen tests any more?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Who?

I think she has learned how delightful public attention really is (as in not at all). It's not like she needs it to maintain her lifestyle, so maybe she is not quite as dumb as painted.

1. phuzz Silver badge
          Paris Hilton

Well, much like a certain US president she inherited a fair chunk of money from her hotel-owning dad. Unlike him however she's invested it wisely and is now worth a lot more than the amount she inherited, and hasn't even gone bankrupt once.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

And would have made a better POTUS than him, too. She hires competent people to run her businesses, not the FBI's 10 most wanted.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No longer on the Google Play Store?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sixtythreered.safe&hl=en_US

10. whoseyourdaddy

It's off the Apple store.

That will teach everyone to share all holes in their stupid app on the dark web.

Public service. Thank you.

11. chivo243 Silver badge
    FAIL

Flinging Poo in a Glass house!

63red must have really spotted windows... Pffft, amateurs

12. Anonymous Coward Silver badge
    Terminator

I wouldn't

"The FBI threat is a threat, I didn’t do anything illegal," he told The Register. "I didn’t break or hack anything. Everything was open."

You may well be perfectly innocent, but you probably shouldn't plan to travel to/through the USA unless you want a particularly prolonged stay. The have form for detaining researchers who embarrass them.

13. Huw D

I thought 63Red was one of those online gambling places... ;)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It is. With people's personal details. It is thus very social media compatible, and Zuck will probably already be on the phone trying to buy it.

14. The Vociferous Time Waster

Duh

People who are usually not that great with critical thinking found to be not that great with technology, bears also found to do their business in the woods.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hmmm

As this is just collecting data for future tactical strikes, does security matter in this instance?

I'm not suggesting genocide, just a gathering of people who don't believe in Mr Darwin's theories. And Mr Darwin watching them fail simple tests...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I'm not suggesting genocide

Yes you are.

It's the people who want to kill other people that are the problem. Beliefs are irrelevant in that respect.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: I'm not suggesting genocide

No I'm not - I'm suggesting they use their wits to demonstrate how they avoid the dangers of their surrounds.

I'm sure the irony of people who generally deny evolution "evolving" so rapidly would please Mr Darwin...

2. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

Re: Hmmm

And Mr Darwin watching them fail simple tests...

Kinda hard to do that considering he's dead.

16. Crisp
    Flame

It's not breaking and entering if they leave the front door wide open.

And trying to characterise it as "illegal and failed attempts" is just a blatant lie.

17. FrogsAndChips Silver badge
    Coat

All the researcher's fault

He should have realized in the first place that it would be pointless to try to have a reasoned discussion with these guys.

1. My-Handle

Re: All the researcher's fault

Meh, I think I'd side with the researcher. Even if I realised the person I was trying to help would likely reject it, I'd prefer to at least give them the chance. If they accept it, then my estimation of humanity increases and I get my "good deed" badge for the day. If they don't accept it, I shrug and let them reap what they sow content in the knowledge that I at least tried. Which seems to be exactly what this researcher has done.

Just my 2 cents.

1. FrogsAndChips Silver badge

Re: All the researcher's fault

My post was only half-serious, and I appreciate the guy's efforts and hope 63red is just making empty threats, but I think I'd still value my self-preservation over the betterment of humanity.

We are talking about the creator of an app whose audience are known for their paranoia and lack of tolerance, in a country where the first reaction to a perceived aggression is either to shoot you or sue you. I'd probably think twice before contacting them.

18. VikiAi
    Happy

He really only contacted...

...a bunch of old guys who think wearing T-shirts emblazoned "Female Body Inspector" is still hilarious 2 decades after it was mildly amusing the first time you saw one!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like