back to article 'What's up, Skip?' asks paraglider – before 'roo beats the snot out of him

As if we needed another reminder that everything in Australia wants to kill you, the ongoing turf war between kangaroos and people has claimed another victim. Innocent paraglider Jonathan Bishop was landing at Orroral Valley in Namadgi National Park, near the capital city of Canberra, when his GoPro helmet cam caught an …

1. MiguelC Silver badge

Another reminder that...

Wild animals are to be left alone. If you mess with them or invade their territory, you're the one to blame!

1. macjules
      Coat

Re: Another reminder that...

That's what every Arsenal fan says.

1. BebopWeBop
        Happy

Re: Another reminder that...

About Milwall?

2. Tikimon
      Facepalm

Re: Another reminder that smug gits are all too common

Hey City Boy, "wild animals" are EVERYWHERE. Either we wipe out the wildlife (no way!) or we coexist with them, total avoidance is not possible. I have several kinds of wildlife wander through my yard daily, including coyotes and various predatory birds. Peregrine falcons roost on an office building in downtown Atlanta - who's invading whose territory there?

The parachutist didn't mess with them at all, they ran a fair distance to attack HIM. There's no blame to assign here and you're a judgmental idiot to blame the evil nasty human. GAH...

2. POSitality

Kangaroos... bunch of pussies! It's everything else in Oz that's dangerous:

http://www.cracked.com/funny-5997-the-animals-that-make-australia-deathtrap-it-is/

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Don't forget the boxed wine that has been known to drive people to swim in crocodile infested waters in the hope of scoring.

1. BebopWeBop

For some people of my acquaintance not even that. Not living in Aus but an occasional visitor, I was made very aware of the dangers of swimming in some locations in Queensland. But fuckwits the wurld over will be fuckwits.

3. Dave 126 Silver badge

Marsupials haven't developed flight? Well, some can glide. The Sugar Glider for one.

1. _LC_

Uhm?

Bats. The only ones. ;-)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Uhm?

Bats are not marsupials.

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Don't forget the dropbears. They only fly in one direction though. Down!

1. BebopWeBop
        Happy

While I quite agree, there are few marsupials who can not manage the 'down' bit from a drop

4. Hans Neeson-Bumpsadese Silver badge

Wild animals

"Wild? I was absolutely livid!"

5. Chris G

I bet

He roos the day he landed in their territory.

1. m0rt

Re: I bet

Well I be blowed - that was quite funny,

2. Shadow Systems

Re: I bet

Those roos were certainly hopping mad about it! =-)P

6. Semtex451
    Childcatcher

I just hope they're around when our alien overlords land

7. Dave 126 Silver badge

No ground to air missile?

Kangaroos in a military flight simulator fired missiles at trainees:

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/shoot-me-kangaroo-down-sport/

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

With all these deadly creatures I always asked myself

not how can people live in Australia but why do they still live there. Sheesh, every crocodile, snake, spider, jellyfish and all other doesn't seem to have any other purpose in life than sending you (or what's left of you) to a funeral home

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: With all these deadly creatures I always asked myself

The fact very few Australians (or tourists) die from these creatures every year is why they can. It isn't like it is Jurassic Park over there.

I'll bet if you compared the per capita deaths from Australia's fauna and the per capita deaths from severe weather like floods, hurricanes, tornadoes etc. the weather is the worse killer.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The life expectancy of Australians is about 2 years higher than British people and 4 years higher than Americans. Make of that what you will.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Devil

That they're in better shape from having to run in terror from deadly gangs of predatory kangaroos?

2. eldakka

4 years higher than Americans.

That's because so many Americans get eaten by crocodiles in Australia, enough to skew their entire average life expectancy. At one point there was a joke about Americans being crocodile fast food because so many were eaten in a short period of time.

1. phuzz Silver badge

Think of it as evolution in action.

2. jebwebs

Tara Reid is available for a read through of the script of Roonado as long as it doesn't require travel to Oz.

3. The Central Scrutinizer

It's hilarious how people think we live in constant fear of the wildlife

Bushfires and floods are regular killers, wildlife not so much. I've seen first hand what bushfires can do and it's ugly.

On a lighter note, pretty much everyone here has had a good laugh at that video. Sure beats the hell out of watching politicians on the news.

2. Francis Boyle Silver badge

I'ts tough living in Australia. I can tell you. I mean I have to go to the local supermarket for essential supplies and I'm dreading it. I think I would have starved to death in my home if it wasn't for the truck I bought from some bloke called George Miller.

1. The Central Scrutinizer

Just get The Night Rider to do your shopping for you. No, wait....

2. Tikimon
        Angel

Don't worry mate. You live, you die, you live again! Kind of like weekends and workdays, really.

9. _LC_

This can be easily spotted:

Skippy was protecting the herd. The attack ended when the herd had passed. Nothing too surprising there, especially considering that Aussies (used to) shoot them for fun.

1. Antron Argaiv Silver badge

Re: This can be easily spotted:

Skippy thought he was a wedge-tailed eagle:

They display considerable adaptability, and have been known to team up to hunt large red kangaroos, to cause goats to fall off steep hillsides and injure themselves, or to drive flocks of sheep or kangaroos to isolate a weaker animal.

When hunting, the wedge-tailed eagle bears down on its prey in a long, slanting swoop.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wedge-tailed_eagle

1. austint

"wedge-tailed eagle bears"???

...I am NEVER returning to Oz.

1. BebopWeBop

The drop bear has evolved.

10. Mark 85

Attack?

Looked more like a couple of warning punches for dropping in unannounced. The paraglide pilot got off easy.

1. Chris G

Re: Attack?

The guy was lucky when you consider although the top half looks like a demented rabbit the bottom half of a full grown roo can be compared to a velociraptor, he could have been left dead for the dingos.

1. phuzz Silver badge

You think a kangaroo has legs like a raptor? Have you seen a bloody emu's feet?

1. Graham Butler

The Aussies already learned their lesson about engaging the emus in hostilities.

2. Marcus Fil

Forget the Emu take a look at the Cassowary - if you are one of those that still believes birds are not descended from dinosaurs try squaring up to one of these. They live wild in New Guinea and, you guessed it, northern .....

11. Antron Argaiv Silver badge
    Black Helicopters

What's he landing on?

The base of an 85 ft NASA tracking antenna, which has been relocated to Tasmania:

https://www.honeysucklecreek.net/other_stations/orroral/index.html

12. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge

When I saw the embedded video clip, and the roo coming in for the kill, I was thinking of Serious Sam. :)

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Worst mischaracterisation" - agh! That fekkin program, that fekkin theme music!

Jesus FW!

I had hoped to get through the rest of my life without hearing that fekkin theme music or seeing that bluddy program again.

I'll get you for this Currie!!

;-)

14. Big Chris H

I expect Skip was upset at seeing the glider being mistreated on rough concrete instead of landing on nice soft grass.

1. Martin Gregorie

Nice thought, but, Skippy ran in, duffed 'im up and was away while the canopy was still flying, and it lay nice and still on a very smooth bit of cement when it was collapsed. Besides, what a fabulous place for a spot landing. Dropping onto it just had to be done.

1. Neil Barnes Silver badge

Have to agree; that's a lovely landing spot.

But Skippy wasn't really trying there: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGzzSIZvA40 (NSFW captions, perhaps)

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Those Indian vultures are something else. I was crossing the ghats once in an Indian Airlines plane when a vulture appeared not that far below us, and overtook us before heading down to land.

15. Tom Chiverton 1
    IT Angle

The post is required, and must contain letters.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
      Facepalm

<obligatory> You must be new here </obligatory>

16. FozzyBear

He's lucky

He could have been attacked by the likes of Roger

https://www.washingtonpost.com/science/2018/12/10/roger-famously-ripped-kangaroo-has-died-after-lovely-long-life/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.37bdeb1bc216

17. ken jay

fuck you skip

1. BebopWeBop

Au contraire, I think that Skip might fuck you......

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nothing is more enjoyable

than watching videos that remind humans of the food chain.

Like people trying to take "selfies" with bears or lions turning on their tamers.

warms my heart

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Nothing is more enjoyable

Fortunately that US zoo has stated categorically they are not going to put down the leopard who, when a woman crossed the safety barrier to take a selfie with it, grabbed her arm and lacerated it.

Whether the woman should be put down or not should be left to a genetics ethics committee.

2. Huw D

Re: Nothing is more enjoyable

People will always be idiots. Even when there's warnings.

https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/local-news/stag-warning-banners-wollaton-park-2597219

19. d2

r3 ??? diagnosis

hmmm, methinks 'tis a case of 'roo roid rage'

20. hittitezombie

Sound FX in my mind...

Boing boing boing boing!

21. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge
    Happy

I recognise that landing site, a former NASA tracking station.

I love that my normally quiet home town has been the subject of a handful of articles on The Reg lately.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like