back to article UK Ministry of Fun seeks deputy director for IT as it edges away from Cabinet Office shared services

The Ministry of Fun is creating a position for a deputy director of IT to expand the department’s internal tech team and wean itself off the Cabinet Office’s shared services programme. At present, the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport’s organisation of techies is comprised of just two people, with delivery and …

1. Solarflare

The new job – offered at a salary of £68,000 to £80,000

Think you'd have to add a zero on the end of that for me to go near it with a ten foot bargepole*

*Admittedly, I'm not sure I'd do a good job by managing the thing using a bargepole, but to be fair it would probably be about as effective as general government management anyway, so there is that.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Think you'd have to add a zero on the end of that for me to go near it with a ten foot bargepole*

I don't think you'd get any sort of job with such an outdated attitude....these days you should be equipping yourself with a 3.048 metre bargepole.

1. A.P. Veening Silver badge

For practical purposes, I recommend a ten metre barge pole.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

after Brexit metric measurements will be abolished

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

and £80K will be worth half of what it is now. Do you think the job is aimed at someone who's just lost their lucrative contracting job in Germany because of Brexit and is coming back for revenge?

2. A.P. Veening Silver badge

"after Brexit metric measurements will be abolished"

Eleven yards will also do ;)

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I'm willing to undercut you to get the job but not by much - what scares me is the kind of person who'll blag their way into the job at the lower end of the salary scale. We're talking about a helldesk monkey with delusions of grandeur as anyone who's delivered a government IT project will know they need to price in psychiatric counselling and/or cask strength single malt before deciding to get out of bed. The only other alternative is a sacrificial pawn from a major consultancy who's been promised a partnership when they come back from 3 years drafting outsourcing contracts.

2. macjules
    IT Angle

Why do you need more than 2?

1) "Have you tried turning it off and on again?"

2) "Is the button on the front of the computer glowing green?"

© IT Crowd

3. Rich 11

The job ad calls for someone with strong technical knowledge, excellent negotiation skills, experience managing IT operations in a complex multi-vendor environment, and “significant track record of owning end-to-end in-house technology service delivery”.

The ability to wield multiple electric cattle-prods simultaneously would also be an advantage. Anyone want to bet this poor sod lasts more than twelve months without going off sick with stress and depression or quitting in disgust?

4. Alister

someone with strong technical knowledge, excellent negotiation skills, experience managing IT operations in a complex multi-vendor environment, and “significant track record of owning end-to-end in-house technology service delivery”.

Who is this mythical beast?

Just like asking for developers with 20 years experience of programming in Kotlin or Go, or datacentre technicians with 10 years of experience working with Server 2016.

5. SVV

it had made “good progress” towards "collaborative" and "agile" working

With a current staff of two people? Have you managed to get them to potentially agree to talk to each other or something? Shows how seriously to take other government boasting of achievements.

And yes, 68 grand for the requested level of experience is a joke.

1. A.P. Veening Silver badge

Re: it had made “good progress” towards "collaborative" and "agile" working

"And yes, 68 grand for the requested level of experience is a joke an insult".

FTFY

6. This post has been deleted by its author

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like