back to article .NET Core 3 Preview 3 takes a bow, but best not hold your breath for the final release

A third preview of .NET Core 3 has hit, along with the news that, no, the framework isn't going to feature in the upcoming Visual Studio 2019 until the second half of this year at the earliest. Microsoft first gave a sneak peek of .NET Core 3 at Build 2018 and promised to deliver a first preview of the latest open-source, …

1. J27

Yeah...

Well, looks like the .NET Framework is definitely dead. Can't say I'm surprised. This is going to cost my employer quite a bit.

1. arctic_haze

Re: Yeah...

I'm surprised I'm still seeing news about that zombie,

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Powershell too. DSC also.

All core versions now, powershell no longer developed, only core, DSC is in powershell. Supposed to be added in core, but nothing yet and will not be as functional as in powershell.

Microsoft have really given up on their own platform, for better or worse. They really are showing that windows isn't something you need anymore so should look elsewhere.

Windows on the desktop and server are going to go in the same direction as their support was/is for their own phone, a second class citizen. Azure and linux are their focus.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Are the ones down voting because they don't like the reality that Microsoft is focusing on azure and linux?Microsoft development languages along with applications are now / going cross platform so why pay for windows. Development is going to containers, so again, why pay for windows when you can run the same thing on linux.

Microsoft knows this, so why put vast amounts of money into windows when you can make all your stuff usable on your cloud in the OS people will be choosing for their development as its the cheaper option.

Or is it because there is actually something not correct, if so, what?

3. richardcox13

> Well, looks like the .NET Framework is definitely dead

For new features: almost. 4.8 is to come, but that doesn't have much new in it.

However it is going to be supported with any OS that includes it. Which is at least Jan 2019 (for Windows Server 2019). However history (eg. VB6 runtime) indicates it is likely to be significantly longer than that.

So no rush to port to Core.

1. bazza Silver badge

So no rush to port to Core.

And as I understand it, porting shouldn’t be too problematic either. So long as one hadn’t used features that didn’t exist in dotnet core (WPF?).

Open sourcing of WPF is interesting - is that a prelude to it making it across to Linux at some point? That would be quite cool.

1. richardcox13

> WPF?

Is part of Core 3... so coming. How compatible it is I don't know (I assume the .NET version is being ported rather than one of the others).

> is that a prelude to it making it across to Linux at some point?

The announced target for WPF (and WinForms) in Core 3 is to allow Windows .NET applications to be ported to Core. But it certainly opens the possibility (PR's welcome? :-) )

1. bazza Silver badge

I had heard that one obstacle was that WPF made use of DirectX, and that some of the visual effects might not port. I'm not too fussed, I'd be quite happy with just a dull ole button, it doesn't need to be lovely rendered in 3D, if that's what it took to get it ported...

2. richardcox13
        Facepalm

> Which is at least Jan 2019

Oops, of course I meant Jan 2029!

4. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Meh

fortunately _I_ never drank the ".Not" coolaid, nor the C-pound coolaid, etc.

(to the tune of 'War')

".Not" - Hrrnnggg

What is it GOOD for?

Absolutely NOTHING!

(etc.)

MFC still works JUST FINE [and is backward compatible with 7 and XP]. It got a bit bloated, though, as Micro-shaft kept making it more and more dependent on OLE featuers that you probably won't actually use in your application, but statically linking it [WAY more reliable than dynamic linking] increased the image size by more than a few Mbytes last I checked. I used to be able to produce a statically linked 32-bit MFC-based windows application that was under 2Mb in size, and actually DID something, too.

As for cross-platform, wxWidgets is VERY MFC-like but for a cross-platform application that compiles both with MFC and with wxWidgets [on Linux, let's say] you have to do a LOT of '#ifdef's and "but if" sections.

Using DevStudio 2010 with MFC is fine with me, Win32 API and binaries that run on XP. And _ZERO_ ".Not" dependencies!!!!

1. spunkypete

bombastic bob, MFC? are you fucking kidding me? Clearly you talk out your arse all the time. .NET Core is absolutely magnificent

2. AndrueC Silver badge
    Boffin

Our team has a bit of a problem with VS2019 debugging at the moment. We can't use it to work on Xamarin Android apps because if left idle for more than half a minute or so the app crashes and the debugger drops out. I'm in contact with their team but so far no-one seems to know why. The only clue we have is that it seems to have come in with preview 2 when apparently they switched to a different version of Mono.

Moving forward could be an issue for us because most of our code base is shared and we don't want to be using multiple versions of vs. So we risk being stuck forever more on VS2017. It's a shame because otherwise VS2019 is a reasonable improvement on VS2017.

1. richardcox13

Have you reported the problem?

I've just received notification that a minor issue I reported is moving forwards: the bug reports are progressed (albeit slower than one might like :-P ).

1. AndrueC Silver badge
        Meh

Yup. Not only reported it but initiated an email convo with several of their developers. Sadly not a lot has come of that yet :-/

3. rmullen0

They need to either port Web Forms to .NET Core or make it open source

I would be fine with moving to .NET Core. However, I have a lot of Web Forms apps and Microsoft has thrown Web Forms under the bus. MVC/ASP.NET Core is a poor substitute. When coupled with robust UI controls such as Telerik's Web Forms is better for intranet apps. Microsoft is doing a sh*tty job on this.

1. spunkypete

Re: They need to either port Web Forms to .NET Core or make it open source

In your deeply flawed opinion, that is. ASP.NET web forms are slow, inefficient, non IoC friendly, hard to unit test and are essentially obsolete. Time to move over to MVC of SPA designs.

4. HmmmYes

Im getting a feeling that some people are surprised by MS sudden lack of interest / refocus.

Never bet the farm on MS technology.

Always stick to as much portable stuff as possible.

Just be done with it, use QT.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like