back to article WannaCry-hero Hutchins' trial date set, Microsoft readies Google's Spectre V2 fix for Windows 10, Coinhive axed, and more

Here's your weekend rapid-fire roundup of infosec news, ahead of next week's RSA Conference, beyond what we've already covered. Hutchins' trial date set: After 18 months in legal limbo in America, Brit malware reverse-engineer Marcus Hutchins, who halted the 2017 Wannacry ransomware outbreak, this week learned he will go …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

We the Rabbits ...

Wisconsin ranks 10th in the US in IQ at 102.9. Such as it is, that's good news. I wonder though if the prosecution will veto any potential juror who bids fair to understand the issues. Or introduce their own sleeper into the jury. Somebody who will be ready, after a trial of X weeks or months, when the jury retires to the deliberation room, and somebody else asks: "What was that all about?" and who then leads the jury in a carefully-prepared waltz towards a guilty verdict--or dozens of them. Outrageous? Yes. Impossible? No. Yes, I did watch the movie: "Abacus: Small Enough to Jail".

Anybody come up with a humourous translation of Stadtmueller that would put the fear of g-men into any English-speaker? My best so far is Board-grinder. A mueller is a miller, a grinder. Stadt is city, or city council, so why not "board"?

In my opinion (IANAL), unless the case is amply proven, and clearly criminal to reasonable people, it should go down as a malicious prosecution. Jobs should be on the line. That's why one has to be vigilant that one is not getting "the biggest prosecution that money can buy".

Posted anonymously because of New New New World Order and its concomitant, retaliation.

1. ThatOne Silver badge
      Headmaster

Re: We the Rabbits ...

> Stadtmueller

I have no idea what you're talking about, but the name (assuming it's a name) "Stadtmueller" translates as "town miller" (the guy who makes flour): German "Stadt", meaning "town" + "Müller", meaning "miller" (often spelled "Mueller" for lack of the "ü" character)). Given the ubiquity of the profession in older times, "Müller" (and all variations of it) is obviously a very common name in german speaking countries.

Just my 2 cent's worth (I didn't downvote you).

2. Nick Kew
      WTF?

OK, I'll bite.

Arrested in Las Vegas, living in California. Why is he to be tried in Wisconsin?

And might he be released in return for Blighty accepting US food standards once we've ditched the EU, which is of course their red line for that trade deal (and the exact thing that would make a NI border necessary - the EU need a check on smuggling Monsanto's latest by the megaton). Or is Blighty just too insignificant?

3. Mark 85

I do tend to agree with you..

Based on this statement "After 18 months in legal limbo in America, Brit malware reverse-engineer Marcus Hutchins, who halted the 2017 Wannacry ransomware outbreak, this week learned he will go before a jury in July." I guess the prosecutors didn't really have a case that had solid evidence. Seems there's something in the Constitution (the 6th Amendment) about the right to a speedy trial.

1. Version 1.0 Silver badge

There seems to be no evidence of malfeasance at all - yes, he worked in the dark world but then so do the police ...

2. It's just me
        Unhappy

Welcome to the US judicial system where it's not unusual for a speedy trial to take 2 to 3 years.

https://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/what-is-the-average-length-of-time-for-a-criminal--782338.html

3. HieronymusBloggs

"Seems there's something in the Constitution (the 6th Amendment) about the right to a speedy trial."

Only for US citizens.

2. ElReg!comments!Pierre
    Facepalm

DNSSEC push renewed

Yeah, we saw this one... one of our subsidiaries raised an P1 incident with us -during the WE- over it just to check that we weren't at risk. Of course we rolled out DNSSEC months ago. Hell Oh Hell, as they say. Had to shoot this one down.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: DNSSEC push renewed

Gotta love a P1. One of our customers persistently raises P1 calls, despite our attempts at education.

New user started an hour ago, but nobody thought to tell us? P1

Forgotten a password? P1

Can't figure out how to change formatting on a document? P1

Can't print, but the person next to them can, and could run off that document for now? P1

/sigh

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Fuck the US...

...and it's corrupt justice system, where the rich go free and the poor 'confess' to crimes they didnt do for fear of stupid jurors, excessive punishment and crippling costs.

4. Mark 85

Coinhive to shut down

So will they pull the code from the websites they....er... infected or leave that up to the site owners?

1. doublelayer Silver badge

Re: Coinhive to shut down

Well, they didn't exactly put the code there so they can't remove it, but I assume any site owner who knowingly inserted it will remove it as it no longer works and replace it with another version that's essentially the same. This almost completely. malicious stuff hasn't ceased to exist. It's just that people switched over to a different implementation of it. Meanwhile, the other cryptojacker malware people are probably updating their own miners to deal with the changes.

5. pavel.petrman

Monero Hard Fork

I'm confused. What on earth is a hard fork? Is it just another crypto newspeak babble or a just another new label for an old tried thing? You either fork or you don't. Does a hard fork mean that the monero thing has up to now been only soft forking, only poking around? I was under impression that many people in the know have already pronounced the whole cryptocurrency world forked up hard - but in this case what you pronounce is not half as important as haw you pronounce it.

1. Richard 12 Silver badge

Re: Monero Hard Fork

Means there are now two versions, and nobody wants the old one.

The difference between cryptocurrency and government-backed currency is that crypto ones do that every few years, and you've no rights at all!

1. doublelayer Silver badge

I'm sorry, but that is not correct. Monero has the "hard fork" stuff in deliberately. It is how the currency is designed. It was there from day one. The purpose is to defeat people building specific chips to mine the thing; if the method for mining changes every year or so, nobody can build a specific chip that produces good value for a while. Therefore, people mining with GPUs and CPUs that handle more general purpose math get most of the value from mining. The term "hard fork" means that the fork of the code is final, not simply another group making a different version, but the project as a whole changing it.

Argue if you like that it is not a good idea, but don't claim it's a weakness in cryptocurrency when it was built in by design.

1. Richard 12 Silver badge

Oh, a different type of built-in obsolescence then.

Fair enough.

That approach means that it basically ceases to exist entirely, rather than splits into v1 (dead) and v2 (alive) as the entire point is to maintain a critical mass of disparate "miners". Each time it changes it will lose large groups of "miners" as they decide it's not worth it - a significant drop in value-per-time-interval for any good/service will always cause many operators to suddenly run at a loss.

As mid/large operators can't significantly scale down because of the external fixed costs, so they'll do something else, mothball or wind up completely.

So far every cryptocurrency seems to have been designed by people with little to no idea of how economics actually works. And I say that as someone with little to no idea how economics actually works...

1. Potemkine! Silver badge

I say that as someone with little to no idea how economics actually works

Hint

2. doublelayer Silver badge

I didn't say I agreed with it. In fact, I think it's a shortsighted addition. Still, it's important to characterize it properly. Unlike forks of cryptocurrency projects which cause people to lose value or get confused as to how to use it, monero's "hard forks" do not affect existing currency unless it changes in value as a response (it's massive decline over the past few months was not related to the recent fork, but instead because people have started to realize that long numbers with bunches of zeros are not really worth very much). The mining process is the only thing that is changed, for good or ill. Ill, by the way, by most reckonings.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon