back to article Facebook wins record $873m fine against smut spammer

Facebook has won a $873m judgment against a Canadian sued for spamming users of the social networking site with "sexually explicit" messages after hacking into the profiles of its members. Adam Guerbuez, of Montreal, who runs Atlantis Blue Capital and Ballervision.com, was ordered to pay exemplary damages by US District Judge …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

erm

"which also resulted in an injunction against him that effectively prevents him from accessing Facebook for any reason ever again."

how the hell are they going to enforce it ?

I bet hes back on facebook right now lol

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sue him into a smoking wreck

And then sue the smouldering ruin until he effectively can't afford to own money ever again.

Any way if this creep got access to user accounts through "fraudulent use of a computer" surely they can lock him up for that, I doubt many Canadians would object to his extradition.

3. Ted Treen
    Stop

Fine by me.

I'm more than a bit hacked off with spammers pushing dubious super willy aids, mucky films, etc. Some of the subject lines are not just explicit, but crudely so - and it must be mortifying for people who have a "family" email address, to have this garbage appear where children can be exposed to it.

I'm no prude - I'm 58 & grew up (as much as I ever did) in the 60's so I've probably BTDTGTTS and am fairly unshockable.

I just don't like 5-12 yr olds being exposed to this dross.

Fine these ungodly spamming wretches huge amounts, bankrupt them and totally dispossess them - and if the authorities find they have even one undeclared cent - 50 years in the slammer.

4. Michael
    Stop

$873m!!! WTF?

Theres your business model right there... But unlikely to cough up ever though!

5. MarmiteToast

@Ted Treen

If you had a 5-12 year old, would you let them on the internet unsupervised? Should they have a facebook at that age?

Although I agree with the sentiment.

6. Colin Millar
    Pirate

So what's the difference in value..........

............between spam and arsebook pages?

Honestly - I would have thought that a bit of spam might brighten up the lives of LOIPs (Life Over Internet Protocol)

7. Martin Lyne

@ Ted Treen

0-4 year olds are ok with it though?

But seriously, spammers are scum, he should have to spend 10 hours a day sorting spam from real mail somewhere. See how he shitting well likes it.

8. Player_16

Mark Zuckerberg has something to say...

Pay-up ...bitch!!

9. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Payment in lieu

will be accepted by surgical removal of mid fold section of lower limbs using precision tool as depicted here :-

https://www.rrarms.com/catalog.php?prod=A38E

10. RW
    Thumb Down

@ Ted Treen

The Internet, the web in particular, wasn't intended for use by children.

I think it's time to reverse the way we do these things. Instead of assuming all websites are suitable for kids and then flagging a small subset of smut outlets, assume no website is suitable for children and enumerate the small set that are intended for tots.

And put the onus on parents to ensure their kids don't have access outside the kiddies' playroom. Easy enough to do with software, easier than the present ineffective method of trying to block indecent sites.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"US federal CAN-SPAM Act"

And, as we all know, US courts juridiction covers the whole universe, known and unknown. The guy clearly desserves to rot in hell, together with scammers, MCSEs and Flash -and Silverlight- developpers, but 1) the fine is ridiculous (that's a flaw in the US judiciary, the same that allows prison sentences of several thousand years) and 2) why the feck was the case trialed in the US?

Your economy being a total wreck and your society being medieval should not be an excuse for behaving as arrogant twats.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You know what I consider Spam

Government bloody adverts, drink driving this, no smoking that, spam spam spam.

They are the only things, that force me to switch the channel, stop Government Spam.

13. g00p
    Coat

Heheh..

Once some guy tried to add me on facef**k and his profile pic was a pic of a wang....lmao.

If ur gonna spam - don't be subtle!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like