back to article The case of the missing 300 Swiss francs: WIPO fires CIO following probe into allegations of fraud

The UN's patent body has finally fired chief information officer and one-time whistleblower Wei Lei after claiming a probe found evidence of criminal misconduct, a point still contested by the ex-staffer. A spokeswoman at the World Intellectual Property Office (WIPO) told us Lei's "dismissal" was effective from 7 February – he …

1. Steve Button Silver badge

Let me get this straight?

Wei Lei used the cashpoint card of a Ms Wei?

Nope. I can't imagine how that could have happened.

1. Tigra 07
      Facepalm

Re: Let me get this straight?

Well, he intercepted her mail twice (One of which was proven) to get her card and pin. Did you read the article?

1. DavCrav

"Well, he intercepted her mail twice (One of which was proven) to get her card and pin. Did you read the article?"

If you believe any of the stuff WIPO said in that article, I have a bridge to sell you.

2. Jellied Eel Silver badge

Well, he intercepted her mail twice (One of which was proven) to get her card and pin. Did you read the article?

I did. I didn't jump to the same conclusion though. Post is sorted and delivered by WIPO's post room. In one case, incorrectly given Mr Wei got Ms Wei's card. Easy mistake to make given the similarity between the names, and it's easy to assume your post has been delivered correctly.

But the article also points out that in order to use the card, Mr Wei would also have needed the PIN, which was sent seperately, and apparently some days apart. So that would seem to have required that Mr Wei managed to obtain both card and PIN.. Which hasn't been explained.

Neither has the regular occurence that despite being a good way into the 21st Century, and the widespread availability of decent cameras, the CCTV evidence seemed inconclusive. Dear businesses, why have them if they can't be used to clearly identify individuals?

1. katrinab Silver badge

The only thing I can think of is that he lived in France and commuted across the border, and the bank needed a Swiss address to open the account.

2. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Are all these international patent organizations corrupt??

There were these problems with the European Patent Office, and now the UN body? And does it make sense that Lei would take 300 CHF and stop at that point, or that he had both the appropriated card and its PIN?

Maybe he is guilty, but this looks like a hatchet job by vengeful management.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Are all these international patent organizations corrupt??

At his level in the organisation, 300SF is small change. Why would anybody do that?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Because it is impossible to find someone who looks enough like someone to be indistinguishable on a CCTV camera....

1. Richard 12 Silver badge

And I suppose it's also impossible to edit over the time shown in a CCTV recording for a few weeks ago.

Or for an internal post worker to be tempted by an obviously pre-opened bank card envelope...

There's no believable chain of custody, it'd be thrown out of any EU or EEA court.

3. stiine Silver badge

Who was the forensics firm?

We need to know so we can avoid hiring them.

1. Adrian 4

Re: Who was the forensics firm?

Or so we _can_ hire them, since they seem to be keen to please their employers./

4. The First Dave

All very fishy.

But very convenient for the WIPO...

5. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Why, when I read this, did I think of Peter Hain?

6. Rainer

Who receives private mail at work?

I receive parcels, yes.

But correspondence from my bank?

That's a big fat nope.

7. ma1010
    Meh

Very Strange

Would a person who was head of a department (and probably had a nice salary + benefits) really risk dismissal and possible jail for a piddly 300 Francs? That seems insane.

OTOH, I personally knew a guy who risked (and lost) his job with good benefits and pension and got 5 years in prison for falsifying government records, for which he got paid about $5k. Yes, people can be amazingly stupid when it comes to evaluating risk/reward. So on the face it it, it's really hard to say who's telling the truth here.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Very Strange

I agree it is strange. Something does not add up. This seems like an obvious opportunist revenge over some grudge, when they noticed the mail getting sent to the wrong person... or an obvious error in not looking at the card/letters and just using the new card that turned up at the desk.

IIRC "Theft" requires intent. If you give the money and card back after the fact as "Oh, it was on my desk, my name... *adjusts glasses*, oh, how embarrassing, here have it back, where is *MY* card?" and you should be relatively ok.

Sadly, how do you know which is which and if a person is stabbing you in the back, or falling over while running with scissors?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

Letter regarding WIPO reprisal against Mr. Wei Lei

“We are writing to you on behalf of the three staff federations of the UN common system, CCISUA, FICSA and UNISERV, representing 120,000 international civil servants worldwide, regarding what would appear to be a serious act of reprisal against Mr. Wei Lei” link

1. Jellied Eel Silver badge

Re: Letter regarding WIPO reprisal against Mr. Wei Lei

Thanks for that link.

People commenting would do well to read that, along with the other excellent articles about strange goings on at WIPO. It's a very messy situation that seems to have gone under the radar for a lot of the mainstream media.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I admire WIPO's determination to ensure justice

Now that the evidence clearly indicates Wei Lei has committed an offence and been punished, I look forward to the results of WIPO's other investigations being as rigorous.

After all, they wouldn't want it to appear that they only pursued and punished whisleblowers.

Note: tumbleweed rollowing slowly across the screen will appear here in 5 years after no further WIPO action...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon