back to article What's in a name? Quite a bit when it's the most hated abbreviation of 2018 (GDPR, of course)

Almost a year after the General Data Protection Regulation came into effect, the European Union's stricter privacy law has claimed another victim. But this time it isn't a US-owned website locking out EU users, a tech titan facing multimillion-euro fines or a major site running a stripped back version. Neither is it a dodgy …

1. HarryPotterHasPTSD

Funny

I would of thought the most hated Acronym of 2018 would have been MAGA.

1. Khaptain Silver badge

Re: Funny

Did you mean to say GAFA, if not what is MAGA ?

1. Khaptain Silver badge

I dont understand the Downvotes , strange..

Here GAFA in a synonym for Google, Apple, Facebook and Amazon.

My questions remains the same, what is MAGA. Should I presume that it is MS, Apple, Google, Amazon ?

1. Ragarath

A quick Googling directed me to what I presume is the correct answer to this conundrum.

Make America Great Again!

1. teebie

it's "My Attorneys Got Arrested"

2. Balding Greybeard

Sarcasm fail.

2. Mi Tasol

Make America GRATE again - or as one cartoonist makes it while dressing Trump as a thumb sucking 8 year old

Make America 8 again.

2. big_D Silver badge

Apart from a hotel, an Israeli weapon system, a security expert and a footballer, what is MAGA?

1. kain preacher

Make America Great Again it's a trump campaign slogan.

1. Khaptain Silver badge

Must admit that on this side of the pond, Trump doesn't have much following.. adn no I dont use Twitter..

In general anything that he spouts is ignored, at least by me .

2. big_D Silver badge

Okay, thanks. A search threw up the references I listed.

In Germany, "Make America Great Again" isn't a thing you hear very often.

1. Khaptain Silver badge

It's not only Germany ..... Except for the UK , not much if Europe really cares about the Orange Skinned puppet....

2. kain preacher

Big D German translation is sieg heil fuhrer. Trump often calls for the investigation of his enemys . HE calls the media the enemy of the people . His favorite line is fake news . If you are against Trump you are against America, or at leastthat's the party line.

2. Aladdin Sane
    Headmaster

GDPR

Is not an acronym. Unless you're a bit weird.

1. Khaptain Silver badge

Re: GDPR

Correct,it is an abbreviation created with Initialisms, such as FBI, CIA. Each letter is pronounced individually contrary to an acronym in which the individual letters create a "word".

Example of an acronym : WORM ( Write once read many).

BUT, there is always a BUT, what would "SCSI"be classed as.... an acronym or an abbreviation, many of us say "Scuzzy" or something similar, i.e. we pronounce it as a word which would make it an acronym even though the abbreviation does not form a word ?

1. Aladdin Sane

Pronounced as a word means it's an acronym, so SCSI is an acronym.

1. macjules
          Headmaster

One would normally pronounce SCSI as 'Scuzzy". An acronym is generally accepted as where there is a clear spelling of a word that matches the pronunciation, for example NATO, LASER, POSH. To make SCSI into an acceptable acronym you would need to rename it to something like SMACSI. Think BENELUX as an acronym for the Low Countries.

1. Simon Harris

Surely BENELUX is a portmanteau word BElgium + NEtherlands + LUXembourg rather than an acronym. It's ironic that the smallest country gets the most letters.

1. Mike Moyle

"It's ironic that the smallest country gets the most letters."

Around here, they'd be driving a really big pick-up truck.

2. Ragarath

Can we think of ways of making this an acronym though.

How about inserting a U sound GuDPuR?

2. big_D Silver badge

I keep using DSGVO instead of GDPR... (Datenschutzgrundverordnung)

3. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Acronym v abbreviation

Yeah, we know the difference. Key thing is, abbreviation didn't fit nice in the headline space, which is the most important thing ever for us headline writers. The story is correct.

Now it's worked its way down the front page, where space isn't so limited, happy to switch it to the correct word.

Don't forget to email corrections@theregister.com if you spot a problem.

C.

3. Locky

Happend to me

I worked for a INDeX PBX support company back in the 90's with a short snappy URL for their website.

Then the Digital Versatile Disc became a thing, and our website was getting hits from all over the place. As I recall the directors sold the company for a tidy fee, probably for the domain name

4. Semtex451
    Coat

They ought to have changed it to Brexit PR & Media

1. Aladdin Sane

Pretty sure there are no experts involved in Brexit.

5. Anonymous Custard
    Joke

Let it go...

So their old name had to be PR G'D...

6. Ol'Peculier

Surprised the number of ISIS organisations that are still around, from Bob Dylan and Oxford magazines to a B&B. And of course HMP ISIS

1. J.G.Harston Silver badge

Well, the International Secret Intelligence Service had to change business....

1. Ken 16 Silver badge

Careful

you're approaching the Danger Zone

1. Aladdin Sane

Re: Careful

Lana. Lana. LANA. LANA. LANAA!!!!

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

decided to switch its name to Conteur

Did they channel Inspector Clouseau?

8. Youngone Silver badge

Workers of the World!

I always think of GDPR as something to do with East Germany. I checked and they were actually the DDR, so now I'm not sure what's going on in my head.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Workers of the World!

You need to upgrade your memory.

2. Allan George Dyer

Re: Workers of the World!

I guess your head is remembering the English abbreviation of the German Democratic Republic, not the abbreviation in the native language: Deutsche Demokratische Republik.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What a missed opportunity

I think I'd have just negotiated a referral deal with some GDPR snake-oil outfit consultancy and banked some free money.

1. Mike Moyle

Re: What a missed opportunity

Well, presumably, they still own the URL, so...

10. Ole Juul

Google language

Once upon a time there was a difference between upper case and lower case, and even a space had significance. I guess those days are gone.

11. cornetman Silver badge

I remember hearing about a number of companies with the perfectly legitimate Egyptian name of Isis in their titles finding that they had to change their names to stem the loss of business it lead to.

People are stupid.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like