back to article What has an 'open-door policy' with industry and puts the X into NHS? Brits, let app-happy Matt Hancock tell you

The UK government has plans for another health quango that will not only oversee data, digital and tech procurement but have an "open door" policy with the IT industry. The new unit, named NHSX – the X is left unexplained, presumably it's evocative of a badass futuristic tech-led body – was announced by Brit health secretary …

1. macjules

NHSX

Let me guess. The next iteration will be called either NHSXS or NHSXR?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: NHSX

I'd guess NHSX+ or NHSNX, neither of which are funny but I've been on a lot of public sector projects :(

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

An open door and an open wallet

to make the IT industry feel really welcome

3. Ali Dodd
    Devil

An open door and an open wallet

for crapita or even worse the US 'heathcare' giants

4. MJI Silver badge

Will we have to use?

The Matt Hancock app?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Will we have to use?

Hat Mancock?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The [...] Hancock app?

... where whatever you try to do with it, no matter how simple, will take half an hour?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

NHSX

Their's me thinking it's Honda's hybrid version of the NSX.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

or maybe the one built at home ?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why do I feel an attack of cynicism?

Every time there is an identified problem they just come up with another layer of consultants to fuck it all up some more. AC because I have hopes of there being some contract work in it. I'm not proud!

1. Jemma

Re: Why do I feel an attack of cynicism?

I am. After my experiences working on NHS contracts, it'd be "never again; If an NHS IT manager was in fire I'd put them out with a gallon of 130 RON especially saved for the occasion". On one notable occasion we were being paid £100 a day for grunt work for 3 MONTHS - and could do precisely nothing because no one had thought to get the lock down passwords for the computers before the sysop had buggered off somewhere else. Did they have a contact number for him? No. Did they have a secure password record? No. So the 5 of us were told to sit in the cafe for the duration of the contract and do nothing. £2500 a week for 12 weeks between all of us to do nothing was better than the IT director having to admit he screwed the pooch. And £2500 in NHS speak? That's the price of a minor plastic surgery procedure.

Ironic part? I've been unable to work for years due to NHS misdiagnosis and mistreatment, at the moment I can barely move & have a tentative diagnosis of FND. So to paraphrase Angua "they got me coming & going".

7. Kane
    Unhappy

An Open Door policy...

...much like this one, yes?

8. sad_loser

Will this work?

This does not deal with the cultural problem which is that digital is not embedded in NHS thinking, and taking it and putting it in a separate box really doesn't help that. It will be the same people in a different box.

NHS Digital is rudderless and has not got its head around the fact that its sole purpose in life is to help clinical staff do a better job. There is zero customer awareness.

If I were doing this I would leave the existing structure and find a bunch of digital headkickers - people who have made things work and give them the resources to do more.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

When you havent a clue what to do...

..and handoncock does not...

Start a new Quango to blame when it all drifts off into a trillion dollar clusterfsck.

10. FlossyThePig

ifixit?

As I see it there are two major problems with the NHS

- Too many "mini-fiefdoms" doing their own thing

- Politicians sticking their noses in

It's a bit like using polyfilla* to repair pot holes

* Spackling paste for those from the land of the orange panda.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

NHSX ?

Good name. Sounds like a hot, adult in-hospital

entertainment channel. (But only the taxpayer is going to get screwed.)

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

NHSX ?

Ohhh Matron.

13. Bogle

OSS ignored

Open Source by default? Yeah, right. I'd love to see a break down of those numbers after a couple of years. Of course, no one will be recording this because no one on the NHSX board will be able to use a computer.

14. SVV

New quango

There is a Yes Mnster episode wth this exact plot. The minister insists on a huge efficiency program and it ends up with hundreds of extra staff being recruited to conduct the efficiency studies, produece the reports and enact the findings, causing a net increase in costs and civil service staffing levels

15. sgrier23

NHSX

I'm glad I live in Scotland. Our NHS is not controlled from London, so no NHSX here.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like