back to article Turn on, tune in, drop out: Apple's whizz-bang T2 security chips hit a bum note for Mac audio

Audio professionals are complaining that the T2 security coprocessor in new Apple Mac models causes annoying audible glitches when using USB-connected recording gear. According to a report from professional audio site CDM, the T2 chip Apple uses for secure boot and storage encryption in last year's iMac and MacBook models has …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Those of us from a previous generation can picture MacBiter up in heaven pumping his fist and shouting 'Yesssss'

1. PhilipN Silver badge

Turn on ...

Those of us from an even earlier generation can visualise the sub-editor sitting cross-legged on the floor with flowers in his/her hair trying hard to remember anything else but this mantra from "back then'*

*the '60's, kids

2. big_D Silver badge

I used to love reading his column.

Man, that brings back fond memories.

2. TRT Silver badge

Rubbish

You can still use these Macs for live performances. And, indeed, I have done that very thing. My Norman Collier tribute act went down a storm.

1. Tessier-Ashpool

Re: Rubbish

You need to be an old codger like me to get that one!

3. Deltics
    Happy

Possible solution...

I haven't read the threads and maybe someone has tried this and found it doesn't work, but what about dongling a USB 2.0 hub via Thunderbolt ? Would that take T2 out of the critical path for anything connected through the dongled USB hub, or does it still get involved ?

Maybe ?

1. Andrew Hodgkinson

Re: Possible solution...

According to news reports, yes, using a USB 3 audio interface, a Thunderbolt audio interface, or a USB 2 interface hanging off a USB 3 or thunderbolt hub should all work. Only USB 2 devices on the internal bus appear to be problematic.

Still a damned stupid bug!

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

I haven't been keeping up, but a decade ago USB of any description wasn't recommended for live audio recording (because of these sort of interuptions), and all the pro and semi pro kit was FireWire. I'd assumed that Thunderbolt, another DMA-suporting protocol, was the natural successor for FireWire applications, but like I said, I haven't been keeping up and I'm not a Mac user.

2. Richard 12 Silver badge

Except that then means you can't use any Thunderbolt or USB 3 kit at proper bandwidth.

Given that a major use case is running an external display (requires Thunderbolt) while also playing audio (requires USB sound card)...

4. Bush_rat

Who Actually Wants the T2?

Don't get me wrong, I understand in principal why it is good from a security standpoint. But for that added security you:

1) Can't use 3rd Party SSD replacements,

2) Certain components can't be repaired without the blessing of Apple,

3) Alternative Operating Systems have somewhere between no ability to see the internal SSD and intermittent support

Personally, I find the whole idea behind the T2 chip a little terrifying. It's the SSD controller, fingerprint controller, boot-loader, an image processor for the webcam, an audio controller for the microphones, sensors to detect if the lid is closed on laptops, etc., a whole lot of security in one neat place. The day that chip gets cracked, I wouldn't want to own a modern Mac that's for sure.

1. fidodogbreath

Re: Who Actually Wants the T2?

It's the SSD controller, fingerprint controller, boot-loader, an image processor for the webcam, an audio controller for the microphones, sensors to detect if the lid is closed on laptops, etc.

A hardware implementation of systemd...

1. Bush_rat
        Coffee/keyboard

Oh why can I only upvote this once

2. Dan 55 Silver badge

To answer your question, Apple, because:

1) Can't use 3rd Party SSD replacements,

2) Certain components can't be repaired without the blessing of Apple,

3) Alternative Operating Systems have somewhere between no ability to see the internal SSD and intermittent support

Expect more and more things to be pulled into the T2 chip in future models, so it becomes less and less repairable.

5. fidodogbreath

Astounding, indeed

"It frankly astounds me that Apple, a company that was and still is considered by the industry the pinnacle of stable work tools, did not care to test their products in environments where they will be used"

Pro audio gear is notoriously slow to change; products stay on the market unchanged for 8-10 years or more. Many (anecdotally, I'd say most) pro audio interfaces on sale now -- including some relatively new designs -- use USB 2.0. Why? No clue. But for whatever reason, there's a shit-ton of USB 2.0 audio gear in stage and studio rigs all over the world and Apple should make it their business to know that. FWIW, I have never seen a Thunderbolt or USB-C pro audio device in the wild.

I have Apple products, but mostly because they are not other things. I'm typing this on a MacBook Pro -- because it's the only* way to get away from the Windows 10 slurp and forced updates. I have iThingies, mostly because it's the only way to have a smartphone or tablet without the unblinking gaze the Google or Amazon panopticon.

Apple's hardware and software quality were never perfect, but they have absolutely cratered in recent years. Butterfly keyboards, free 'root' logins for everyone, the Group Facetime faceplant, a new massive Keychain security fail, the ongoing saga of iOS 12.x updates breaking cellular and WiFi, hockey-stick-shaped $1000+ iPad Pros, ThrottleGate, the entirety of iOS 11. The days of Apple products displaying the quality that is expected at their premium price are long gone.

Apple supposedly has 132,000 employees, but I can't for the life of me imagine what most of them do all day. It's obviously not QA testing or code review.

* I tried to make Ubuntu Studio do something useful in a music context, but the very, very short list of supported audio hardware did not include anything I own. Also, JACK is an abomination.

1. Richard 12 Silver badge

Re: Astounding, indeed

USB 2.0 has plenty of bandwidth for multitrack audio and sufficiently low latency when properly implemented.

16 bit audio at 44khz is 700kbit/s uncompressed, so a bus offering 480Mbit/s should easily handle over 400 channels of audio (allowing for some overhead).

Most people want fewer than 8 channels.

So as a manufacturer, do you use the more than adequate, on-literally-everything interface, or do you use the really expensive interface that hardly any laptops have?

Oh, and most of the laptops and desktops that do have Thunderbolt only have one of them...

1. DropBear

Re: Astounding, indeed

Unfortunately "only" having to properly implement anything is exactly one bridge too far in 99.99999999% of cases. USB2 bandwidth may be more than adequate in theory, but it doesn't matter that I get 30FPS on average in a game when I get all of them in one half of a second - and precisely nothing in the other (or, you know, for the next five seconds - hello there SC...). I remember quite vividly having any audio that was playing glitch on my desktop every time any network traffic occurred whatsoever - and that was hardware bolted onto the motherboard southbridge not even attached via USB, and it was not a single-version bug but the state of affairs with the official mobo drivers from a reasonably reputable supplier! I can't even remember exactly what workaround or update solved it, but to this day my drivers are frozen to the version that finally worked reasonably, any further updates be damned*.

Properly prioritised and enforced resource access is simply NOT something anyone pays any attention to in the twenty-first century - everyone just assumes they are either alone on their bus, or the bus is "fast enough anyway" to let them get away with bloody murder. Except it never actually is, and sometimes to the point where you end up like this - getting to hear it quite clearly.

* let me tell you about that one time when the mouse cursor kept randomly turning into corrupted garbage for an infinity number of further versions of the graphic driver for their then-flagship card long after AMD swore they fixed that - guess when I updated THAT driver the last time...

6. Neil Barnes Silver badge

It's that guitar.

He's holding it wrong.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: It's that guitar.

I spotted that as well; to work with the new macs he needs to hold it upside down and back to front.

1. zuckzuckgo Silver badge

Re: It's that guitar.

Apples just improved the user interface with a new gesture. Just swipe up on the strings instead of down.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

On the plus side..

.. it gets rid of "creatives" using Apple. I think it actually harms the brand :).

That said, I have detected issues with Bluetooth. which. has. bouts. of. audio. interruptus. at. times. Very annoying, but as I'm old fashioned I have no problem using a cable.

Until they take away that 3.5mm jack too, that is.

1. Antonius_Prime

Re: On the plus side..

Have some Courage! They'll get around to that soon enough too! XD

8. anonanonanon

Not the first time apple broke everyone's audio gear

I think it was the High Sierra update that removed a vital component in USB audio, and they didn't fix it for months.

9. Antonius_Prime

It's not the first time this has happened on Macs in the last 5 years.

A few years back they had an issue with their own USB 2 keyboards dropping off the USB bus randomly on iMacs.

Then, the issue was the NVidia chip that controlled the USB and Ethernet.

It was wonky and the same chipset in PC's caused annoying ethernet drops as it essentially reset the interface for a random amount of time, randomly.

The fix back then?

Get a USB cable extender.

Seriously. Because the Firmware on the keyboard (yep those aluminium jobbies had firmware...) would see the extender and clock down from USB 2 to USB 1.1.

Which wouldn't drop off the USB bus, due to whatever bug was in those chipsets.

Those were some fun times in support, let me tell you...

(Between this and the news of Solutions Inc going bang, I'm feeling quite nostalgic for the Fruit Factory today...)

10. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge

USB 3 might not fix it

Plug in one generic Super-Speed or USB C device into a Mac and all USB devices have stuttering throughput or random reset cycles. Macs don't seem to negotiate down to a common protocol when there's a repeating problem.

11. DerekCurrie
    FAIL

Apple's Mac-Malaise Continues Apace

This lazy and obtuse attitude toward the Mac by Apple has been going on now for well over three years. Let's name some names of the guilty:

Tim Cook: CEO

Dan Riccio: Senior Vice President of Hardware Engineering

Johny Srouji: Senior Vice President of Hardware Technologies

Wake-The-Netherworld-Up Apple! You're FaceTimePlanting!

12. razorfishsl

You know.... they just could not leave it alone, had a working sound subsystem, then did a "cookin" and now it's broken.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like