back to article Pure Storage's would-be Data Domain killer out in March – but it's still shy about the internals

Pure Storage will introduce a shiny new backup box - dubbed ObjectEngine - from as early as next month to pinch sales from veterans including EMC-owned sectoral kingpin Data Domain. The ObjectEngine uses acquired StorReduce variable-length deduplication tech which runs on ObjectEngine//A on-premises hardware and in …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

flash to flash? Economically, unlikely to make financial sense when caching is a viable alternative,

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

As in having a caching device / gateway and going to the cloud?

2. Nate Amsden

DD goes to cloud too

I don't use DD, I use HPE StoreOnce. But DD has a cloud tier option, looking at their specs it ranges from a usable capacity of 96TB on low end to 3PB on the high end.

HP on the low end starts from 94TB usable cloud capacity to 5.2PB on the high end. On the HP end there are some restrictions on how this can be used. e.g. all of my usage of StoreOnce is over NFS, which means no cloud tier available even if I wanted to use it.

I've got no idea what if any restrictions there may be on the DD stuff.

(I haven't used the HP or anyone else's cloud backup stuff)

3. Lorribot

With the likes of Veeam the initial target should generally be a undeduped (immediate copies, say a weeks worth), with a secondary target as deduped (the long term stuff, for some that may be 7, 10 or more years, but i have never understood why they do that, good luck with the restores and support costs on the old software.... just ask yourself what the backups are actually for, do you actually need a seven year old copy of that DB and if you only keep the end of year backups what chance is it that the data is actually there?).

Not sure where flash based deduped storage fits in to that, it could be quite quick compared to DataDomain which is eyewateringly slow to rehydrate stuff. It will be one to watch

4. This post has been deleted by its author

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

FrankenBackup

Just reading this you can see the Technical Debt that exists in Flashblade!

There are significantly better integrated solutions out there.

Sorry I'll pass

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Buh Bye Rubrik and Cohesity

This puts Pure's cross hairs directly on the two CI backup products Cohesity and Rubrik. Looks like they aren't so friendly anymore

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Buh Bye Rubrik and Cohesity

This is a just a backup target with external HW used for dedupe! Oh the irony!

There's no backup integration whatsover. They still need backup SW to function. This is not the case for Rubrik or Coehesity.

1. flyguy959

Pure specifically mentioned this works with Veeam, Commvault, Netbackup. All software only products where you supply the backup targets. Not a direct threat to HCI backups.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

This comment is laughable - FlashBlade competes with Rubrik/Cohesity like a windows phone competes with iPhone. Show me a list of customers and revenue stream for FlashBlade. If it's such a great product, why are all the sales people for FlashBlade leaving Pure?

FlashBlade is hardware....built/priced like a Ferrari that still needs a separate engine (software like Veeam, Commvault, Veritas). Backup is a "minivan" market and Rubrik/Cohesity have built a better minivan. This product is overkill and the marketing is overselling the FlashBlade value; 5% of the market could want all-flash for backup...the real TAM isn't going to be interested in this overkill and incomplete product no matter what the marketing is telling you.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

FlashBlade challenges

There is no doubt FB is having revenue challenges and the StoreReduce acquisition was in part done to create a price competitive backup target. The larger problem is in the backup space you tend to compete against "cheap, deep and adequate". Positioning FB as a backup target is a total niche play.

8. spinning risk

FlashBlade sales failures

FlashBlade came to the market with fanfare and bravado. They put their best sales leader in charge and off they went. The Flash sales team was tasked to try and sell a product that no one had any idea how to sell. Then, they build a sales team to try and sell it as an overlay. Then, you hear all about the goals, growth, and strategy on an earnings call; lots of buzz. Then, the next earnings call someone asks about FlashBlade and its growth and leadership says "we are not discussing the revenue for FB" OK, why not?

It has failed miserably. The only way it grew sales was to a very small base of Pure customers, that could afford it, or to bury it in a larger deal of flash sales and call it a Rapid restore product; the most expensive in history!

Voila, Object engine appears... another turd to circle the Pure toilet bowl....

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: FlashBlade sales failures

This is a PERFECT summary of what's going on with the FlashBlade. Now consider that the sales leader mentioned in the comment is now gone and took 3-5 of his best reps (and buddies) with him. If their best sales reps can't sell it, how good can it be?

1. spinning risk

Re: FlashBlade sales failures

MB left Pure?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon