back to article Court sees Morissette Meter flip out as Oracle assumes anti-arbitration stance in pay dispute

It is ironic that Oracle, which normally tries to make class-action suits "disappear into arbitration", is now taking an anti-arbitration stance in a pay dispute, a judge in San Francisco said late last week. Oracle 'systematically stiffed its salesforce' claims new sueball READ MORE The case dates back to 2017, when former …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oracle make Google look like the Good Guys.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Indeed they do. I'm pretty easy going in the idea of who I'd work for, having been employed by a whole range of unpopular organisations in my career, but even I'd be utterly ashamed if I worked at Oracle.

2. a_yank_lurker

@AC - It's even worse, the Mob looks like a bunch of choir boys compare to them.

3. paulll

Let's not go overboard, they're pretty nasty but facebook's way out in front and google's a comfortable second. Oracle's running in the evil pack with your Hitler types and Piers Morgan.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

To me, Oracle will always be ...

The compagny that, 2 hours into a critical service call with about 10 000 users affected, asked "why should I help you with your problem?"

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: To me, Oracle will always be ...

I always like to assume the caller is a valid customer then foot the bill myself if I'm wrong....

3. Trollslayer
    Thumb Down

The names are the same but...

Microsoft, IBM, Oracle - same names but now anonymous corporate types rule them all.

4. TDog

I went to court against an NHS trust.

I had been sacked and at the tribunal rather than fight it they settled for the maximum legal amount (in those days about £24000) which of course was reduced by the salary that they paid to me in the mandatory "gardening leave".

No particular surprise there. But as the new chief executive had arbitrarily sacked me when re - applying for what was my old job I had a bit of fun.

At the time it was merely sufficient to prove that they had broken the HR rules and should have given me the job automatically.

But two years later when she was coming up to be re-appointed I sued again - in the small claims court of the county court. And claimed that since it had already been agreed that I had been unfairly dismissed then my compensation should have been based on the salary I should have had, not my previous salary.

This lead to the solicitor (poor sod) on their side claiming that you couldn't have two bites at the same cherry. When the judge for the 3rd time explained that he understood and decided the law I felt it was not going well for the poor sod. They settled for a rather larger fee than the original compensation not to set the precedent. And they sacked the chief executive who sacked me. (That was my only non negotiable point (Oh, and giving her a bottle of gin to help her on the way to the gutter)). But to be fair, I paid for the gin myself.

And the point of this, who would have expected English law to be easier to manipulate that that of the US. And having comprehensively fucked on the NHS, it is just a small pity that I never got to do the same to Oracle; nor that is as simple and effective in high cost high pressure law in the land of the free and the slave.

5. Frumious Bandersnatch

Isn't it Alanic, don't you think?

(although in this case, "ironic" is actually (ironically?) apposite).

1. This post has been deleted by its author

6. This post has been deleted by its author

7. Kobblestown

IANAL but I think forced arbitration is a perversion of justice. Still not siding with Oracle though.

1. jmch Silver badge

"forced arbitration is a perversion of justice"

Completely agree. there should be an arbitration mechanism available if both sides choose to do so rather than go to court, but arbitration should not be forced upon one party. Especially since it only works one way... if Oracle accuses an employee of misconduct, stealing trade secrets, poaching clients or anything else they think is wrong, you can be sure they'll take that employee to court.

8. devTrail

title

What the ... is a Morissette Meter?

1. englishr

Morissette Meter

It's a meter for measuring irony levels, named after Alanis Morissette, on account of her song "Ironic", which lists a series of unfortunate events, none of which are ironic.

1. a pressbutton

the song "Ironic", which lists a series of unfortunate events, none of which are ironic.

.. perhaps that is why it is ironic?

2. Adam 1

Re: title

It's like RAAAAAIIINNN .....

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like