back to article Windows Subsystem for Linux adds pop to release, SAC-T sacked, crypto-jacking apps: It's Microsoft's week

Yet more Linux love seeped into Windows 10 over the past week, while admins buffed their rings in readiness for servicing changes and miscreants crept around the Microsoft Store. Linux files in Windows Explorer? What wizardry is this? As if to further demonstrate that Mr Elbow was having difficulty talking to a more sensitive …

1. Version 1.0 Silver badge
    Unhappy

Crypto mning is not optional tomorrow?

It seems that everything can be hijacked these days - Windows is easy of course and now, with Javascrypt slime it looks like open source code is going the same way. Maybe it's time to bin all the current operating systems and build a new one from scratch with safety first? Otherwise the future does not look good ...

1. Andy Non Silver badge
      Joke

Re: Crypto mning is not optional tomorrow?

To be safe, your new operating system must not allow any apps, programs or browsers to run or any files to be opened.

1. Shadow Systems

"To be safe, your new operating system must not allow any apps, programs or browsers to run or any files to be opened."

You've just described Windows 10! =-D

*Ducks & runs for safety*

2. InNY

I'm looking forward to the day when we look back at these (current) monotonous, monolithic OS's and condescendingly remark something, probably along the lines of: "Oh, how quaint..."

1. Giovani Tapini
        Coat

Quaint they may be, but I suspect there is life in the full OS for some time to come outside large business applications.

I, for one, am only predicting a reduction in footprint. This probably favours more modular OS platforms like Linux over a monolith by default like Windows...

I'll get my hat, grab my bag and run to the waiting chopper now...

1. InNY

:D

Brilliant!

2. Lyndon Hills 1

lack of throttling meant they consumed "the majority of the computer's CPU cycles

and the symantic software consumed the rest..

3. DJV Silver badge
    Alert

"while admins buffed their rings in readiness"

Well, you've got to get pleasure where you can!

4. Baldrickk
    Facepalm

tutorials on efficient use of batteries

Oh the irony. I guess whoever made that one thought they were clever...

Best advice it could give: - uninstall this app. Of course I doubt it did that for some reason.

5. Adrian 4

Death of FAT

Does that mean embedded devices with a need for a filestore can use a Linux one now, and still have users easily able to transfer files into Windows ?

6. oiseau
    WTF?

A fan?

If you're a fan of the Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL), that is.

Windows Subsystem you say?

For Linux?

WSL eh?

A fan?

Must be a joke ...

I really don't give a monkey's toss what it is called or what it does.

I'm not letting anything "Windows" be or run as a subsystem of my Linux rig.

Hell can freeze over for alI care, not a chance I'd ever do that.

Cheers,

O.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Shouldnt it be LSW, Linux Subsystem for Windows instead

Never used this and never will but based on its description and function shouldn't it be called Linux Subsystem for Windows instead.

1. Uffe Seerup

Re: Shouldnt it be LSW, Linux Subsystem for Windows instead

> Shouldnt it be LSW, Linux Subsystem for Windows instead?

No, not really. There is no GNU/Linux in there. The original "core" kernel which was developed to support multiple operating systems (initially Windows and OS/2), for a short period served SFU, has now been adapted to "act as" a Linux kernel. Windows architecture is really advanced in this regard. The core system was created with a flexible process/thread model which allowed multiple process/thread paradigms to be adapted. A Linux thread is not merely a Windows thread emulating a Linux thread, it is a core thread with no Windows in it.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like