back to article Tens of millions more web accounts for sale after more sites hacked, Mac malware spreads via Windows.exe, and more

Let's kickstart your Monday with some lovely juicy computer security and screwups news, beyond what we reported last week. New round of data theft claims Throughout last week, El Reg broke the news that more than 600 million accounts details had been stolen from more than a dozen websites, and were being offered for sale on …

1. Valeyard

yay I'm in one!

roll 1; crit fail on web security

nat 20 on keepass and unique passwords

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: yay I'm in one!

Yes, I saw one I recognised too, but I'm not worried about Animoto.

I only test when I can use something for a real life application, and as privacy is a paid-for option that was pretty much where my examination ended. Also, I like using Revolut's disposable credit card system - it tells you that it has bounced a number you already disposed of :).

1. Valeyard

what? I keep hearing more and more good things about revolut but didn't know about these disposable numbers, that's the best reason I've had to look into it

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Allow me to drop my previous message - I'm a happy customer, but I don't want this forum to become a marketing site for Revolut :).

1. ds6 Silver badge

Idiot, what if I want to be marketed to?!

I have always been looking for a reliable disposable card company. The cryptocurrency thing is just a very convenient bonus (even though it appears to be locked to your account and non-transferrable). Please tell me more.

1. ds6 Silver badge
              Facepalm

WELP

https://techcrunch.com/2019/03/01/revolut-cfo-peter-ohiggins-resigns/

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

ixgo, CoinMama, Gfycat?

Come on, you're just making this stuff up. Although some seems to be disruptive enough.

3. Blockchain commentard

I wonder how many of these username/email addresses are legit and hadn't been previously brought from a dodgy geezer and used to pump up the user base of these sites for advertising revenue? Bit like Twitter/Instagram 'followers'.

1. hmv

Bought?

Only if you don't know what you're doing; I've got a little collection of around 1 million leaked credentials and I've only been collecting for a couple of months.

1. ds6 Silver badge

While I question your sanity for bragging here of all places, just goes to show that it is shockingly easy to get info. I even stumbled upon a list of some hundreds of card numbers, names, and CCV's on Pastebin, completely unintentionally—I imagine it would be very easy with their "alert you for posts containing XYZ" premium feature.

After I alerted the company that their info had been jacked, they quietly shuttered their windows and then closed their doors. RIP.

4. Steve Graham

Incompetence is always the most likely explanation.

I suspect that the Mono-based attack isn't really a sopisticated attempt at disguise. More likely it's Windows developers writing code the only way they know how. You see it all the time in the Linux world, Mono used, not for porting .NET applications, but for writing new ones from scratch.

5. Frank Bitterlich
    Mushroom

Facbook "protecting" its employees?

"On one hand, Facebook can and should be able to protect its employees from any threat of harm."

No. It should not. Since when should Facebook take over law enforcement duties? So in order to "protect their employees", they do what even police wouldn't be allowed to do - they track and monitor people 24/7 without their knowledge...?

If someone is threatening Facebook employees, they should refer that case to the police instead of taking the law into their own hands and using illegal actions against these so-called "threats."

6. macjules

.. track users who they believe pose a credible threat to Facebook offices and employees.

I presume that now includes the Department of Culture, Media and Sport and the House of Commons. Hell. why not just say "all goddamn Brits (except the Cambridge Analytica ones)" and be done with it.

1. Stork Silver badge

Re: .. track users who they believe pose a credible threat to Facebook offices and employees.

- and Mr. Schrems?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Stand by, not standby.

8. Chris G

Beards on wheels

I can't say I have any sympathy for hacked scooters, why do they need bluetooth anyway?

Also there is just something wrong about a bearded adult on a battery powered version of a toy I gave up on when I was about 8 years old.

1. ds6 Silver badge

Re: Beards on wheels

It's cheap, hourly pedestrian transportation, requiring little effort from both the rider and the company providing them to create a successful business model. What's the problem?

While you get mad, the companies capitalizing will make mad money, and rest of the world will be using them.

9. Sebastian A

Interesting. I got an email from houzz about data loss but I've never used them so I deleted it thinking it was a phishing attack.

Did they buy up something else earlier on which may have given them my data?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like