back to article Canadians moot methods to embiggen moose monument and make Mac great again

A Canadian city is not a-moosed that Norwegians have erected a bigger, shinier monument – and its residents are raising money to fund a possible antler extension. Until 2015, the city of Moose Jaw (yes, really) had the world's largest moose statue, Mac, standing at 10 metres tall. Mac the Moose is big. But not quite big …

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Ugotta B. Kiddingme
    Terminator

This is not good...

Based upon the pictures, it appears that Norway has created the Moosinator M1000, significantly more deadly than the CanaDyne Systems M101

1. Fungus Bob

Re: This is not good...

And the M1000 looks like it'll pee on any car under it.

3. Little Mouse

Cheer up, Moose.

Why the long face?

1. navidier

Re: Cheer up, Moose.

Why the long face?

Heavy dentures...

4. Jay Lenovo

Size Matters

"not ashamed" of his size, but that it was a "pride issue"

So now Mac will start a regimen of "MegaMoose" supplements and drive an even bigger car.

5. Nolveys
    Headmaster

the city of Moose Jaw (yes, really)

For those wondering where this is, it's about 6 hours east of Head-Smashed_in Buffalo Jump.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It's also about 61 hours west of Dildo.

1. Hans Neeson-Bumpsadese Silver badge

61 hours west of Dildo

The less-successful follow-up single to "24 hours from Tulsa"

2. NBCanuck

Dildo Days

I was visiting Newfoundland and doing a scenic drive and came across the very small town of Dildo. I didn't actually notice any road signs showing the town name, rather my first sight was of a sign by a parking lot exclaiming "Dildo Day". It was a town fair/carnival for children and families and very wholesome, though I'm sure there were some very disappointed visitors "from away" as well.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Dildo Days

"very small town of Dildo"

How dare you! It's at least average. And besides, it's really cold right now.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Learn something new every day

Per Wiki: "According to legend, a young Blackfoot wanted to watch the buffalo plunge off the cliff from below, but was buried underneath the falling buffalo. He was later found dead under the pile of carcasses, where he had his head smashed in"

First Darwin award?

1. Ugotta B. Kiddingme

Re: First Darwin award?

Nope, not even close, according to noted historian Gary Larson...

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: First Darwin award?

Please don't feed the Google maw. Your link goes through Google.

2. Hollerithevo

Re: Learn something new every day

Head Smashed In would describe the condititon of the bison that had fallen over the cliff. The story is almost certainly a back-formation (or 'retcon' for the younger generation) to explain the name, and the 'legend' is probably White in origin, because, hey, those crazy dumb Indians, ya know?

1. jake Silver badge

Re: Learn something new every day

"Head Smashed In would describe the condititon of the bison that had fallen over the cliff."

You've obviously never handled a Bison skull.

"he 'legend' is probably White in origin"

That's just your bias talking. Stories in the Piikáni culture (one of the groups in the Blackfoot speaking peoples) are not just stories, they are the way history is recorded and reckoned. It probably happened as described. However, the locals say it didn't happen at the tourist frequented site, but rather at another location, on Willow Creek, a trifle further North, off the Oldman River. By their reckoning, there are actually TWO sites: the buffalo jump, and Head Smashed In (Note CAPS).

3. Hollerithevo

Go on, laugh

This from a country with 'Oxford' and 'Goosey' and 'Ely' and 'Buckden' or 'Shapwick' etc on its map

1. Big_Boomer Silver badge

Re: Go on, laugh

Don't forget Shitterton, Loose Bottom, Crapstone, Penistone, Cockermouth, good old Nasty, and many many more. The colonies don't have a monopoly on daft place names ya know.

As for the statues, the solution is obvious, Canada has the largest Moose statue, and Norway has the largest Elg statue. As for the biggest Moose/Elk/Elg/лось, the largest is probably a toss up between the Alaskan Moose and the лось or Alces alces buturlini that lives in Siberia. So once again USA vs Russia :-)

1. Sgt_Oddball
          Devil

Upper Ramsbottom always felt unnecessarily specific...

1. jake Silver badge

And then there is Bell End.

2. Olafthemighty

Fingringhoe! It's in Essex, predictably enough.

4. OssianScotland

and (unlike Krakatoa) East of Java

6. The Oncoming Scorn Silver badge
    Coat

Wi nøt trei a høliday in Sweden this yër? See the løveli lakes

A Møøse once bit my sister... No realli! She was Karving her initials on the møøse with the sharpened end of an interspace tøøthbrush given her by Svenge - her brother-in-law - an Oslo dentist and star of many Norwegian møvies: "The Høt Hands of an Oslo Dentist", "Fillings of Passion", "The Huge Mølars of Horst Nordfink"... We apologise for the fault in the subtitles. Those responsible have been sacked. Mynd you, møøse bites Kan be pretti nasti...

1. Sgt_Oddball

Re: Wi nøt trei a høliday in Sweden this yër? See the løveli lakes

I came here for this and was not disappointed.

7. Johnny Canuck

Moose can be dangerous

And also delicious.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Moose can be dangerous

Chocolate Moose?

May be fattening but dangerous?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Go

I can understand Moose Jaw's concern

In the contest for the world's most imposing moose statue, you don't want to me left without a chair when the moose-ic stops.

9. Russell Chapman Esq.
    Go

Different approach

This is basically a school playground game of my dad is bigger than your dad. I reckon the game should be upped and the winner will be the side which can steal the othe side's moose, all on video, and then hurling said losing side's moose into the lava lake of Erte Ale

10. jake Silver badge

Nice rack!

Shame they are both fake, tho'...

11. Ima Ballsy
    Facepalm

Errrm ....

I guess I'm gonna moosey on out of this forum ...

12. KjetilS

It's actually called "storelgen", not "storelegen", which would translate to "the big doctor". Elgen = the moose, legen = the doctor.

13. David Roberts
    Coat

Don't want to go too big.

Elk and safety, and all that.

14. bob, mon!

It'll all turn out to be a big moose-take.

Just a mutual moose-understanding.

15. Frumious Bandersnatch

Moose try hardur,

Canada.

16. VikiAi
    Go

The Moose...

Is loose!

17. cd

This time for sure!

18. arctic_haze

Make Britain geat again

The nation, stressed by the long Brexit saga, needs something to give it some new optimism. Let's put a giant "Theresa May moose" in front of the Parliament. Or even better, send it to Scotland to compensate the Scots fo dragging them out of the EU.

19. clyde666

Go visit

I can heartily recommend Moosonee or Moose Factory for a holiday. Great for getting away from it all. Basically drive north till you run out of road, then take the Polar Bear Express for a few hours.

You'll need to search - I'm not allowed to post links :-)

1. jake Silver badge

Re: Go visit

"I'm not allowed to post links"

Why ever not?

20. WereWoof

I think I will post anonymoosely . . . .

21. Alistair
    Windows

Moose

... in most times of the year, are *not* your friend. Unless of course they're looking for a 'friend'. Then, well, your car might be in trouble.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like