back to article Missed Valentine's Day? Take your beloved to a Visual Studio 2019 launch event instead

Devs seeking the perfect gift for that special someone were thrown a lifeline yesterday, with the announcement of Visual Studio 2019's launch date and a fresh preview of the development toolset. Strangely, your correspondent's print-out of the 14 February announcement slipped into a Valentine's Day card was received …

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. karlkarl Silver badge

Can we please just get an .iso containing the core IDE and C++ compilers. Don't give a shite about the rest of the bloat.

The online downloaders are a stupid idea because they are non-deterministic (who bloody knows what versions the guy next to me is going to end up with) and seem incredibly wasteful to repeatedly download on build servers.

Better still, just reinstate the Windows SDK containing just the C++ compilers... The rest of the IDE can also go to hell these days XD.

1. druck Silver badge
      Flame

The bloat is nothing new, I had to reinstall Visual Studio 2013 on an old laptop last night. I only wanted C++ and C# so unticked every optional component, and it claimed to need 9GB. After installation it had actually used over 12GB, and included crap I'd specifically told it not to, such as Windows Phone and Silverlight SDKs.

3. ThatOne Silver badge
    Devil

Take your beloved to a Visual Studio 2019 launch event instead

One of the famous "50 Ways to Leave Your Lover"?...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

In 1987

you could fit Microsoft C Compiler version 4 on a handful of 1.4 MB floppies.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like