back to article Boss of venerable sect with millions of devoted followers meets boss of venerable sect with... yeah, you get the idea

The head of an organisation noted for being a bit unpleasant over the years, and is now trying to rehabilitate its image for a new generation, met the Pope this week. Brad Smith, president and chief legal officer of software behemoth Microsoft, sat down with Pope Francis on Wednesday for a chat about ethics in an increasingly …

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. RobThBay

LGBTI?? Is this a new group?

Does the "I" mean Idunno?

I've heard of LGBT, LGBTQ & LGBTQ2.

1. chivo243 Silver badge
      Coat

NRBQ anyone?

2. hitmouse

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=what+does+the+I+in+lgbti+stand+for

3. Draco

The problem with LGBTI is that it is not inclusive enough.

You might consider: LGBTQQIP2SAA or LGGBDTTTIQQAAPP or even LGBTIQCAPGNGFNBA. But even they don't capture the full range - hence the little + that is often appended at the end of these acronyms to signify, "While we haven't added you to our list, we consider you a vital and cherished member of our group - except if you are male, especially if you are a cis male, doubly especially if you are white cis male."

1. DontFeedTheTrolls
        Headmaster

LGBTIQCAPGNGFNBA

Or "people" as I like to call them

2. DropBear
        Coffee/keyboard

See icon -->

3. Claverhouse Silver badge
        Go

The problem with LGBTI is that it is not inclusive enough.

You might consider: LGBTQQIP2SAA or LGGBDTTTIQQAAPP or even LGBTIQCAPGNGFNBA. But even they don't capture the full range - hence the little + that is often appended at the end of these acronyms to signify, "While we haven't added you to our list, we consider you a vital and cherished member of our group - except if you are male, especially if you are a cis male, doubly especially if you are white cis male."

I generally throw in an F for our furry friends, another L for the Leather lovers, and AB for Adult Babies: who are the Next Big Thing for ordinary folk to get hot and bothered about defending their guaranteed rights. There are many of them over there, and they are coming, Father Abraham, as fast as their prams and strollers can carry them.

Yanks apparently have 31 genders, for those who use that demented word.

...just as Smith likely steered clear of the Inquisition or some of the far more recent and far more horrible things that some church representatives have got up to.

Paedophilia, alleged, is no doubt a mortal sin, but using the rack on people and/or setting them on fire like a good old-fashioned American Lynching strikes me as worse.

1. Denarius
          Meh

Do you realize the secular authorities were worse?

Meh, Western cultural myth mostly for Inquisition. Few burnings verified, unlike the secular governments who burned and tortured freely. At least the Inquisition had rules of evidence, unlike secular courts until relatively recently if one was a mere citizen. I note the secular ruling elites are busy destroying that now. Secret security and family courts etc. The secular states of the 20th century had a death toll that dwarfs anything done by any religion, aside from Marxist cults. Have a read of Howard Starks books or "Fields of Blood". BTW, not a fan of any big organization. Perhaps the USA Founding Fathers had a point when they discussed the dangers of allowing legal fictions like companies to be effectively immortal.

4. jmch Silver badge

"Smith, who noted at a recent Microsoft event that "there are still gaps" in "LGBTI rights", did not see fit to address those gaps when it came to emissions from the Church on the subject"

To be fair to this Pope, he has started the shift from the hardcore conservatives "gayness being a sin" to welcoming and including gay Christians. Religious mumbo-jumbo aside, and acknowledging that the Catholic church still has a long way to go, anything going from less tolerance to more tolerance is welcome.

3. Efer Brick

No words

But this guy has plenty

https://youtu.be/JkOHDoEkPW0

4. Conundrum1885

Pope vs AI

Would be intrigued to see this happen one day.

Maybe we can arrange a meeting between "Sophia" and Most Holy Father ?

Random: might be some time in 2024.

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Re: Pope vs AI

Has that not already been done .... via the Master and Margarita.

Is that what is being cloned?

5. MOH

That seems a bit pointless and one-sided? I imagine the Pope's knowledge of AI vastly exceeds Microsoft's grasp of ethics

6. Wilco

Unethical cultists with little intelligence

They deserve each other.

1. MMR

Re: Unethical cultists with little intelligence

I don't know if you have ever listened to any of the Pope's speeches.

Whether you are believer or not (I'm certainly not) you can find a lot of value in them. The TED talk is a good starting point.

7. Jim 59

A pop at the Pope. Brave journalism. Take that, Frank!

8. devTrail

Not worth the attention

The clickbait title was well done. I opened the article because I didn't see the picture over it and I didn't know what it was about. I stopped reading shortly after the beginning. How come you are dedicating attention to two self serving organizations that exhausted their role in the ethics field a long time ago?

1. phuzz Silver badge

Re: Not worth the attention

So that you'd click on the article, which worked.

9. steward
    Pirate

Shouldn't that be

"The head of an organisation noted for being a bit unpleasant over the years, and is now trying to rehabilitate its image for a new generation, met Brad Smith this week."?

10. wayward4now
    Boffin

If the "church" is now all about what Jesus said in the Sermon on the Mount, then all they need do is give back all the shit they stole from South America. And then, repent.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like