back to article Want to know what 2020 holds? Microsoft has a little something for you

Microsoft fired up the speculation machine last night by issuing a fresh build of Windows 10 to lucky skip-ahead testers: and it contains code from 2020s Windows. While greybeards still enjoy drawers filled with dusty CDs of beta code for Windows NT, handed out years before final Release To Manufacturing, this is a first since …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Are they deliberately modelling their release versions after influenza strains?

19H2, H5N1, 20H1...

1. Ragarath
      Coat

They want everyone to catch the bug?

2. I Am Spartacus
      Pint

Well played sir!

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I object! I most strongly object!

Influenza is less painful than Windows 10!

2. jake Silver badge

"a little something for you"

Ah, no. For you perhaps, but not for me. Never again. Once bitten & all that. Thanks for the offer, though!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Windows 10 is almost four years old...

.... and the new release pace didn't look to have brought much improvements in these years. I think fast pace releases and required test time just favour small additions that more interesting but bigger changes.

In many areas it even went backward - i.e. the email client became quite unusable. Edge will be killed because evidently its Chakra engine is a disaster (not a surprise, looking at the name). Cortana downplayed, after trying to put it everywhere in the system, with little success. Hybrid UI that is bad on both desktop and tablet systems. Acrylic developed at glacial pace, but it's yet to see if it will bring useful features to the UI or it will be another dead end, more visual sugar than real improvements.

And many users still use 7, ten years old, and upgrade when they have no other option.

Something is rotten in the state of Redmond?

1. Michael Strorm Silver badge

Re: Windows 10 is almost four years old...

> Edge will be killed because evidently its Chakra engine is a disaster (not a surprise, looking at the name)

Are you saying that Chakra, Chakra, Chakra, Chakra Can't?

Chakra Can't? Chakra Can't? Chakra Can't?

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
        WTF?

I don't get it... Chakra sounds like naming influence from people who are into eastern religions, but that's about it. 'not a surprise' why?

1. jake Silver badge

" 'not a surprise' why?"

I suspect it's a reference to the New Age set (common as muck in the Great North Wet) and their ... interesting ... approach to science and logic.

2. DJV Silver badge

"In many areas it even went backward"

I suspect there are many of us hoping that "backward" trend continues so that a future version of Windows 10 will have the look and feel of Windows 7, revert an update system that allows us to block individual patches from screwing things up and isn't packed with telemetry snatching crap that phones home every couple of minutes!

3. Col_Panek
      Linux

"...upgrade when they think they have no other option."

FTFY.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Still on Win7, and staying on it

I am still on Win7, and staying on it. The MS boss Satan is simply the worst, he is responsible for all this shit that is Win8 and Win10 and all the slurping that goes on. And I say no to this. Wake me up, we he got fired or jailed for his evil wrong-doings.

4. This post has been deleted by its author

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Back to the Fuchsia

You've used a picture from Back to the Future for this article, but wouldn't that imply you went *back* in time to 1989 to report on the excitement for the forthcoming launch of Microsoft Office and are trying to get return to the present day?

Perhaps you could mess about with history a bit while you're there? 1989 isn't far enough back to prevent Mark Zuckerberg's birth (by getting his mum to fall in love with you instead of his dad), but perhaps you could convince the four-year-old Zuckface that all that computer shite was for losers and his future lay in him doing something harmless like arranging flowers? Thanks.

6. Michael Strorm Silver badge

"Microsoft has a little something for you"? Subtitle song reference opportunity missed...

"And we'll give you just three guesses to figure out just what it is."

Na na na na na na na na na, indeed.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sameold, sameold

"meet the new OS, same as the old OS"

{with apologies to The Who}

They keep on flogging this dead old horse which means lots of work for me. More and more of my customers are moving away from Windows on business critical systems.

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Trollface

Re: Sameold, sameold

yeah hard to drive the "new shiny" of Win-10-nic when it's NO LONGER "new" nor "shiny"

But I'm sure 'the smug' will STILL call it "modern"...

8. Diogenes

Basics

With last insider build 2 weeks ago, my version of windows forgot how ro move or copy files and synch to onedrive...

Lucky it is just a test machine

9. The curmudgeonly one

I hope that this skipping forward means that 19H2 doesn't happen. One release per year is plenty.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

FACT

19H2 is only being tested by NSA/GCHQ to make sure their ‘black doors’ are working

19H2 will only include mahoosive new telemetry slurping

19H2 will introduce pay per CPU cycle subscription model

19H2 will delete all Win32 apps and replace them with PWAs

19H2 won’t boot unless there’s an internet connectiion

19H2 Cortana will be voiced by Nicola Sturgeon, ya bas.

11. Updraft102

Windows Insiders are Microsoft's army of volunteer testers, given access to early versions of Windows 10 in order to give the OS a thorough kicking on as many hardware configurations as possible the Insider forum in order to participate in the ongoing party atmosphere with all of its clowning and buffoonery.

The actual testing is left to Windows consumers.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like